Battery or Capacitor?

JimmyPie

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few questions:

1. If I live in an area that gets below freezing regularly in the winter, do I need to get a camera with a capacitor?
  2. Do dash cam users bring their cameras inside their home when they are not using it so it does not get cold?
  3. Do dash cam users bring their cameras inside when they are not in the car to prevent theft?
  4. The Vava dash cam that is coming out next week claims it can withstand temperatures as low as -4°F (-20°C). Is it possible for a battery camera to do that? The Vava battery is supposed to be 320mAh Built-In Battery.
Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Climate data for where I live:

upload_2017-11-28_17-18-19.png

Lithium-ion batteries should NOT be charged when they are below freezing. Super-capacitors are your best option for both high and low temperatures. With super-caps the camera should be fine in cold temperatures.

I may be a little late to the party, but to answer your third and fourth questions: I never bring in my dash cam, it stays in the vehicle 24/7. I do not know about the VAVA (it's coming this Friday), but I think my @viofo A119 is only rated to -10 degrees Celsius and I've had it in the vehicle all winter with temperatures as low as -40. There has been no issues with recording or functionality.

Back