Battery Pack or Hard Wire for parking mode/motion decection

Hypochondriac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, hope this is the right area since it says general discussion. I've purchased a dashcam during the prime day sale. While it doesn't have a real parking mode. It does have a shock sensor. I was considering either hard wiring it to a always on car fuse, or just using an old anker 20100 battery pack I have lying around. I was wondering if there was any main disadvantage of using the battery pack? I'm not to savvy when it comes to wiring so a bit reluctant to do the wiring in my car

I'm hoping the shock sensor will work as a cheap parking mode. When the sensor is triggered the current recording gets saved. So hopefully if someone hits me the 5 minutes recording will be saved.

You already have the battery pack, so give it a shot.
Just try to keep the battery pack out of the sun and in a cooler area.
It doesn't look like Aukey makes a hardwiring kit themselves, but I'm sure there is some sort of kit out there.
Hardwiring isn't too complicated, so long you have the tools needed to make it easy for you.
Watch a few install videos and you'll pretty much understand enough to be comfortable, depending on your vehicle anyways.

A constant battery draw will shorten the life of a car battery. Car batteries are not designed like a deep cycle battery. They are supposed to give a limited amount of power and not be completely discharged like deep cycle batteries. While the cost may be similar in the end do you want to risk your car battery leaving you stranded because a dash cam constantly sucked it down to a level it dies?

A constant battery draw will shorten the life of a car battery. Car batteries are not designed like a deep cycle battery. They are supposed to give a limited amount of power and not be completely discharged like deep cycle batteries. While the cost may be similar in the end do you want to risk your car battery leaving you stranded because a dash cam constantly sucked it down to a level it dies?

I have an emergency jump starter, so not really concerned about being stranded, due to a dead battery. Isn't the draw of a dash cam minimal anyway? So you would recommend just using a battery pack? What about heat and the lithium pack overheating?

It is true that a dash cam only draws around 1 amp. Over time that can draw a battery down.
Cars and trucks with computers always suck some electricity anyway.
I have had truck batteries go bad from the onboard computer sucking juice when it was not used much.
Lithium batteries have their own problems. I can not answer your question about them.

Back