Battery Pack Question - Viofo + Street Guardian

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
So on another forum, I was telling someone about the benefits of a Dash Cam and mentioned hardwiring (which I did for my camera). Benefit is parking mode, downside is knowing how to hardwire and it also drains the battery.

When it comes to battery packs, it seems Blackvue's description requires no hardwiring with their cameras: https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-battery-pack/

What about utilizing a Street Guardian or Viofo with a Cellink B / Cellink Neo Battery Pack? Can the Cellink B / Nero operate solely from the 12V cigarette socket like the Blackvue or do these battery packs require hardwiring to fuse box?

What about connecting the cameras to the Cellink B / Neo? Is it just plug and play?

Some pictures would be helpful with diagram. I don't utilize this option but someone asked me about it and I'd like to offer solid advice. Seeing I have no experience using a battery pack, I can't speak about configuration.

SG work with some of them as far as i know, but which ones i am not sure.
I would think all the ones that have a 12 V output you can use, so i assume you just get the 12 V constant from the battery pack the ground and ACC signal you would get as usual ( not sure if battery packs have ACC simulation build in or ACC pass thru, which they could have i assume )
I wish someone would just make a charger / controller, and then people cold buy what ever big square liFe battery to plug into that, the power packs based on 18650 / 26650 or whatever cells seem a bit silly to me.

@jokiin have at times recommended another brand power back for use with his cameras, but cant recall which one.

Ours will work with the Cellink Neo for parking mode

Does it require the cell link neo be hardwired or can the cell link neo be powered through the 12V Cigarette Lighter and the Street Guardian be powered through the 12V Socket Adapter to support parking mode once the vehicle is shut off? I.E. Power cut to the 12V Cigarette Lighter--> Parking Mode Enables.

Similar to the image from Black Vue:

parking.png

can the cell link neo be powered through the 12V Cigarette Lighter
yes

and the Street Guardian be powered through the 12V Socket Adapter to support parking mode once the vehicle is shut off?
no

I.E. Power cut to the 12V Cigarette Lighter--> Parking Mode Enables.
the cellink has 2 wire input, and either 2 or 3 wire output, the optional 3 wire output for the Cellink is needed and needs to be connected to the 3 wire input of the hardwire kit

I think its common for all the battery packs if you power / charge it via the cigarette lighter it will charge at a slower rate than if you hardwired it, but if you drive " a lot" you can of course make do with a "slow" charge rate.
But in other scenarios it will be a good idea to be able to charge the power pack as fast as you can.

yes

no

the cellink has 2 wire input, and either 2 or 3 wire output, the optional 3 wire output for the Cellink is needed and needs to be connected to the 3 wire input of the hardwire kit

Let me see if I understand correctly, so please humor me.

1. Street Guardian USB from hardwire kit plugs into camera. The three wires from the hardwire kit then need connected (crimped) to the cellink 3 wire output cable from the cellink neo.

See Link: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/setup-cellink-neo-battery-pack

I presume you need the unspliced 3 wire output cable listed on the website for Thinkware Dash Cameras??? Is this a universal cable meant for all cameras? Or what kit is necessary? https://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/viofo-a129-3-wire-hardwire-kit

1588605091083.png

2. Does the cellink get plugged to cigarette lighter or must it be hardwired into fuse box?

1. Correct
2. Works either way

Thank you. I wanted to recommend a camera to someone on another forum. So Viofo and Street Guardian are the two on the list. I told her Street Guardian has the superior customer service =).

Back