Battery pack with 12v socket plug in?

Unfortunately 18650 are all over the place for capacity .. ( I ordered some dumpster brand ones for testing / play before Xmas )
Another battery found in PB is the lipo ...

IMGP2703.jpg

Pictured is my Solar ( alleged ) powerbank ..
Solar panel is way to weak to actually do any charging .. But the battery inside is a lipo ..
I have ordered another solar panel to see if there is any chance it can work ( be made to work ? )

Having a Solar PB feeding a Action cam on a tripod ( I like it - but it needs to work ) ...
Used it last year filming the action at the state champs ( control line model aircraft )

@jackalopephoto, I noticed that PowerADD has their 30,000 mAh lithium-polymer power bank on sale on Amazon for only $33.99 with free shipping.

They state that: "Quick Input: double input ports, 5V/4A total, it takes only about 9 hours to charge up an ultra-high capacity power bank despite 30000mAh." "High capacity power bank comes with 2 USB cables. The dual input port design will greatly shorten the time charging the power pack."

I've not seen a design like this before with two charging inputs but I assume it charges two cell banks separately and would require two - 2 amp chargers. (available at modest cost) It seems like a clever way to cut the charging time of such a large capacity battery by about half.

Anyway, it comes with a 24 month warranty and seems like a lot of power bank for the money.

I own a PowerAdd (20,000 mAh Li-PO) and have been impressed with it which is why I recommend the brand.

https://www.ipoweradd.com/collections/poweradd-power-bank/products/poweradd-power-bank-30000mah-ipad-iphone-portable-battery-charger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01M5LKV4T

I bought that PowerAdd 30 amp hour unit and it works great. It's rated at 111 watt hours and charges pretty quickly with the dual inputs. A half charge seems to take about 3 hours though I haven't sat there and timed it

For charging I'm using an Anker AC to USB 6 port charger

I bought that PowerAdd 30 amp hour unit and it works great. It's rated at 111 watt hours and charges pretty quickly with the dual inputs. A half charge seems to take about 3 hours though I haven't sat there and timed it

For charging I'm using an Anker AC to USB 6 port charger

Great! Hope you'll report back now and again about how well it performs.

Lithium-ion batteries are a bit like muscles that need some exercise after long term storage or when new. I think you'll find that the power bank performance (charge capacity and run-time) will keep improving during the first few weeks of use. They like to be charged often and not allowed to drain down all the way for maximum life-span. This is based on reading I've done and four years of personal experience with several different power banks.

It works very well, I'm even planning to buy a few more before they inevitably go out of production. I use it to power a security camera that outdoors. One time I left the PowerAdd the 3 watt camera for 24 hours, then charged it for an hour and turned it on again, and it ran for another 14 hours with charge to spare. It has also been fine in the recent 20 degree temperatures

I was thinking if that would be possible use normal dual usb cigarette lighter phone charher, 5V battery pack, and couple modified cables to power dashcam in parking mod . In my car cig. lighter is only powered when car is ON. My idea is to use dual usb high output phone charger to power battery and charge battery bank at same time. With car OFF the bank would power camera while in parking mode. Can someone with more knowledge than me verify if that would work before I buy and destroy few cables? Campower_0.jpg

Last edited:
I've just taken delivery of one of these. It's a hefty best isn't it? Seems noticeably heavier than my Anker PowerCore+ 2600. Maybe that's down to the different chemistry. I'm not complaining, anything too light makes me suspicious about the specs. And you don't buy a power bank like this to put in your pocket.
Haven't had a chance to do many tests yet, other than it is charging at the 2A it says it can take.
I can't believe what a bargain this is. I wouldn't be surprised if the price went up once it has some good reviews. I'm tempted to buy a second one now even though I don't need it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi
Have you tested yours yet?
Just got mine on Friday
Charged it up to Max, it came at 89%.
Pleased it went to 100% and then cut off itself. It did get the samsung 2.0A charger pretty warm doing so :-/

Charging an iPad Air it was reading 4.67V and 1.32A,
Conversely, when I charged the same iPad Air with a 2.1A Apple charger, it read 5.01V and 2.02As
I was surprised, that this battery; with an alleged output of 3.1A couldn't at least equal what the Apple charger did?

I then charged an iPhone 7 Plus, that came with a 1.0A charger and the Tqka charged the phone at 4.91V and 0.53A. As that seemed low; I tried it with the Apple charger, which is rated at 1.0A, and that charged the phone at 5.02V and 0.98As ... more like it.

The phone test is the nearest I could get to testing something with the same power consumption as my camera namely 5V 1A.

Is it normal that these battery packs underperform. Just testing the Battery without a load connected, at 100% charge, registered 5.01V but once it dropped to 98% charged, the battery read 4.94V.

I wonder if it only outputs 4.67V and 0.53A would that be enough juice to run my camera ?
OK those are the worst of both volts and amps. But even at say 4.91V and 0.53A ( as I experienced with the phone ) would this battery run the camera smoothly.
I can’t test it until my new 4 meter USB cable arrives, should be soon, so I will know then.

Is this normal with these batteries? i.e. to run under spec?
Or have I got a dud.
- Slightly concerned as this is at 100% full charge will it drop lower as the battery depletes?

Zero support from TQKA, there is no email support contact address, only a UK Mobile that they never answer and it just goes straight into voicemail.
Ha ha for the 18month warranty!
Just wondering should I return this and get a RAV Power .. Lithium Polymer battery?
Not as good as the LFePo4 this is supposed to have, but... . Interestingly it does not state this on the battery or on the box or the tiny manual in its specification.
I find that a tad disturbing ... hey if you have a great feature print it everywhere eh? not just on the (soon to disapear forever) Amazon sales info list. :-/

Call me suspicious but it all smells a tad wiffy !

Hi

Zero support from TQKA, there is no email support contact address, only a UK Mobile that they never answer and it just goes straight into voicemail.
Ha ha for the 18month warranty!
Just wondering should I return this and get a RAV Power .. Lithium Polymer battery?
Not as good as the LFePo4 this is supposed to have, but... . Interestingly it does not state this on the battery or on the box or the tiny manual in its specification.
I find that a tad disturbing ... hey if you have a great feature print it everywhere eh? not just on the (soon to disapear forever) Amazon sales info list. :-/

Call me suspicious but it all smells a tad wiffy !

Considering that there are no other LiFePo4 power banks on the market I've wondered if this unit really uses them or if it might be totally bogus. It wouldn't be a first in the world of Chinese made power banks. Obviously, the only way to know would be to open the thing up and have a look.

As for the battery bank not performing as expected, there is a reasonable chance that will improve during the first few weeks of use (assuming you keep it). Lithium batteries are a bit like muscles that need to be exercised periodically, especially when they're new or have been in storage for a period of time.

Ebay has Dual USB in , one USB out plugs ... No need to butcher anything .

Considering that there are no other LiFePo4 power banks on the market I've wondered if this unit really uses them or if it might be totally bogus. It wouldn't be a first in the world of Chinese made power banks. Obviously, the only way to know would be to open the thing up and have a look.

As for the battery bank not performing as expected, there is a reasonable chance that will improve during the first few weeks of use (assuming you keep it). Lithium batteries are a bit like muscles that need to be exercised periodically, especially when they're new or have been in storage for a period of time.

Thanks,
I think it may be bogus and maybe will return it and get a RAvPower.
Most concerning if they cheated and seem impossible to contact is what happens if they really cut corners and it spews crap all over my S Class Coupe upgraded Exclusive leather ... slim chance of them coughing up £5,000 to sort it out.
I think I would prefer a major player behind this.

I think I will go for the RavPower 22,000 mAh as it says its got a Lithium Polymer Battery, which I have been told is less fragile than the Lithium Ion batteries ... but are they.?? :)
Well its only £25 and apparrently has a Limited lifetime guarrantee ??? Oh yeah! limited until it fails lol :)

My Tqka has been in its box since I first charged it (also delivered around 85% charge if I recall right.)
It was still at 100%. I used it to charge my phone (Samsung S5 neo) from 45% to 95% at 4.96v to 5v at 0.65A. Not a fast charging phone on any charger, I'm afraid.

That took the Tqka down to 93%, using 5Wh according my tester.

I've plugged in a couple of cameras and used another 1.5Wh taking the Tqka down to 90%. Total 6.5Wh, which is pretty much 10% of the claimed 64Wh capacity so that's right.

Of course that's placing trust in the Tqka's reading, so I'll leave it discharging and see what happens.

My Tqka has been in its box since I first charged it (also delivered around 85% charge if I recall right.)
It was still at 100%. I used it to charge my phone (Samsung S5 neo) from 45% to 95% at 4.96v to 5v at 0.65A. Not a fast charging phone on any charger, I'm afraid.

That took the Tqka down to 93%, using 5Wh according my tester.

I've plugged in a couple of cameras and used another 1.5Wh taking the Tqka down to 90%. Total 6.5Wh, which is pretty much 10% of the claimed 64Wh capacity so that's right.

Of course that's placing trust in the Tqka's reading, so I'll leave it discharging and see what happens.

Thanks useful to know

Tqka update. It shut down after supplying 52Wh versus the claimed 64Wh. Reasonable? considering it's the first use and had been sitting unused on full charge for a while. The percentage indicator was completely consistent with what my external meters showed as being consumed, but is based on the assumption that 64Wh are available. It probably ran out when it was claiming almost 20% was left. I should have pointed a camera at the display, LOL.

The mAh rating, however, is misleading, since it is based on current from the internal batteries which are not 5V. The claimed 20,000mAh would be accurate (for 64Wh) if the average internal battery voltage is 3.2V.

The nominal voltage of a LiFePO is indeed 3.2V, so at least all their claims are consistent.

The actual supplied current was 10,430mAh. (At around 5V.) Which would leave most people very disappointed if they didn't know why it's so low.

Xiaomi produces a 16,000 mAh li-ion power bank that may have the unique distinction of being the only one on the market to state clearly on the power bank itself the current supplied at 5 volts vs 3.75 volts.

View attachment 35868

https://xiaomi-mi.com/power-banks/xiaomi-mi-power-bank-16000mah-silver/

That's pretty cool that they actually give comprehensive info, though you get the same thing from a watt hour rating which I believe is required for the TSA regulations

Back