Battery

adalex

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
We just received the camera yesterday and I had it charged for 4 hours and yet when I turn it on the battery immediately goes to red and it dies. Do I have a bad battery? is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

I have the same. Battery does not hold even one minute after fully charged.

by the sound of it- "feature" of the camera battery is to hold enough charge to save the last recorded file in case loss of power, that's it, no more no less and there is whole section of discussions about batteries to use dasCam as diffrent cams

it shows enough space for 2 or 3 battery bars however if I turn the camera on without external power the camera literally lasts 5 seconds before the battery light flashes and it shuts off. I have a a118 and the battery lasts a lot longer than that upwards of 30 mins or so (not 100% sure because I haven't counted how long) I noticed in the seconds that one of the settings is to power off after 1 minute and on the occasion I can get it to last longer than 5 seconds it shows a countdown timer but the battery dies before it even gets to 50 seconds left

so what does that mean? even when its plugged in the light goes off after 20 mins but it still isn't charged. is there no way to fix it?

The current huge stock of CDV300 out there have hardware issues and is the reason you'll see these on sale. (dump price)

I'd wait for a confirmed fixed second generation on this model if you want something dependable long term.

so would it be better to request a refund and order a a118 instead? I have a a118 and my only negative is at night with low light its crappy. My dad ordered the cdv300 for my step brother as a birthday gift and I was going to install it for him today but I didn't because of the battery issue. Is this a firmware fixable issue? or should I just have my dad ask for a refund and send it back?

thanks

so would it be better to request a refund and order a a118 instead?

whichever other model you choose is going to be better, if you have the option to return it you're better to do that while you can, it's not something that can be fixed with firmware

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe not reported judgments that it is a hardware problem. Certainly during the long trip happened a problem with the record of the last file (5 minutes). I think that the battery is unloaded and the camera is not able to enroll for this reason, the last file. I tested again when I pick up a long journey with frequent stops, then the camera goes another test. For short distances, everything is fine. And even after the first long tour also everything worked ok. It started in the second of my long tour. I do not believe that the new firware could not fix the problem of the lack of power in the battery. As we all know the battery does not have to be a large capacity. It must only be possible to save the file. It seems that all the current that the device gets out of the car goes to the operation of the camera. I do not have enough to charge it on battery? If this is a problem, maybe new firmware can fix it. But these are just my suggestions.
Russians are selling this model for a long time under the name Cambox Drive and tracking their forums do not report a hardware problem. But they have very different firmware.

jokiin keep your comments relate to equipment replacement for the one that is currently selling. I know you're an expert on cameras, you have a good contacts and knowledge.
Do not understand is that I always write generally about the problem which has CDV300 that this is a hardware problem. If you proved TLC manufacturer that made a mistake, why have not improved? Will users who have bought from you SG7LA50G Street Guardian gave the cameras? Did it help yours truly successful firmware?

jokiin keep your comments relate to equipment replacement for the one that is currently selling. I know you're an expert on cameras, you have a good contacts and knowledge.
Do not understand is that I always write generally about the problem which has CDV300 that this is a hardware problem. If you proved TLC manufacturer that made a mistake, why have not improved? Will users who have bought from you SG7LA50G Street Guardian gave the cameras? Did it help yours truly successful firmware?

Can you please retype your post again? I can't quite understand your comments and questions related to jokiin?

What ever the massive first wave defect is can't be fixed via firmware. They probably produced quite a few v 1.0 and need to sell them off before engineering resources and a second batch can be paid for. We are in stand by mode until then with no ETA for V 2.0. This is why you'll find the price so low today. (Dump mode)

I've been monitoring for a week and so far no problems with my unit from Foxoffer - records fine and no corruption. However, I have noted:

1. Weak battery - The GPS is located in the cradle and I suspect that, when powered via the cradle, most of the power is being consumed by the GPS and not fed to the main unit, which houses the battery. Also the battery is only 120mAh - but this should be sufficient to record the last file. I have noticed plugging in the main unit, bypassing the cradle, allows the battery to charge quicker. Things that may improve the battery issue:
- Hardwire the power feed. I am using a 12 to 5V 15W DC-DC converter (max 2.5Amp output) that is hardwired in parallel to my cigarette lighter outlet. I have noticed that the battery bars on the CDV300X, via power through cradle, shows 1/3 - but I have not run into recording issues.
- Harder: open up the unit, replace the battery with a higher capacitance or high farad capacitors. However as @jokiin has indicated, if there is a problem with the charging circuit, adding a higher capacitor battery may not work. If the charging circuit was designed for a capacitor - replacing with high farad caps may be the best way forward. (I'll be exploring this route if my unit shows to be faulty)
- High effort: plug the power into the main unit now and then to charge up the internal battery quickly, then go back to powering via the cradle

2. Average-OK night video quality - light sources have a lot of glare (traffic lights, with WDR on - I have not tried turning WDR off, this may reduce glare). Things that may improve this:
- Polarizing filter modification on lens. I have been looking at this -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/B00NBFN6HU. Stick on filters made by some people who record flights, so I would assume their solution would be of high quality (their website: http://www.flightflixcameras.com/#!product/prd1/2240246061/polarized-filter). The polarized filter would also reduce windshield reflections.

If you are facing corruption in files, ensure that your memory card is up to the task. That is a class 10 Micro SD. I am using a 64GB Mirco SD class 10 by Sandisk, formatted as FAT32 32KB cluster size. I use a program called Rufus in Windows -> https://rufus.akeo.ie/. Officially 64GB is not supported by the CDV300X, but the above works.

Will keep monitoring and reporting back.

Last edited:
If the charging circuit was designed for a capacitor - replacing with high farad caps may be the best way forward. (I'll be exploring this route if my unit shows to be faulty)
I think the charge circuit would be fine for this, bigger issues are keeping the clock in sync and the firmware needs changing to work with capacitors

Back