Be aware, SpyTec only backs their products for 90 days

StevenK

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let me preface this... As a Texan, all my future dash cams will use Capacitors, not LiPos, I could have saved myself a ton of money.

That said, I purchased the Spy Tec A118 Full 1080P HD Video Car Dashboard Camera - Novatek NT96650 Chipset + Aptina AR0330 Lens based on the great reviews on dashcam talk, and my camera was able to prove fault in an accident saving me half of my deductible by proving the other driver didn't use a blinker, so I absolutely think my camera paid for itself ($250-80=Still ahead). This camera installed cleanly, had great quality video and did everything it was supposed to do... Until the LiPo battery died. On my camera I just chalked it up to hot Texas sun, and the fact I had it always powered on. It still works, however if the car power is turned off, there isn't enough juice left to "close" the current video file, so I have to let the car run for 5 minutes after I capture something, no biggie, until I get into something serious and the car loses power, now I won't have a usable video file. I ordered another one of theses figuring the battery issues was my fault as a Christmas gift for my sister less than a year ago, her car is garage kept both at home and work, ruling out the long Texas heat for the most part. She text me the other day a picture of her dash cam with an expanding LiPo battery to the point that the plastic case is bulging and separating. A bulging LiPo is downright unsafe, so at this point I reached out to SpyTec via their phone number expecting a 1 year warranty as answered in the Questions section for this product on Amazon. I was told they only back their products for 90 days and even after offering to give them more money for the capacitor versions, still they made it obvious they don't care about their brand name and customer retention. I have since told two other friends that have purchased this exact camera by my recommendation less than a month ago to return their cameras before they too are stuck with dead or possibly unsafe batteries.

I'm not one to leave bad reviews, but I reached out to Spytec via phone and e-mail giving them every chance to make this right, even offering to give them more money to upgrade to the capacitor version, and still nothing. I do not recommend this LiPo version of this camera, I do not recommend Spytec, and I hope this review saves others from having a camera fail when it was needed most.

Pics of battery expanding:

imgur.com/a/dRW7k

Lucky for me, the price for 1080p Capacitor dashcams has come down to the same price point this year, sweet

Thanks for the great site and as I search for my next camera dashcam talk will again guide me to the correct choice, but this time I will make sure to research the seller and warranty as part of my decision. These would be great additions to the official reviews IMHO, I know I wouldn't have purchased something from a vendor that can't back their product more than 90 days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great site and as I search for my next camera dashcam talk will again guide me to the correct choice, but this time I will make sure to research the seller and warranty as part of my decision. These would be great additions to the official reviews IMHO, I know I wouldn't have purchased something from a vendor that can't back their product more than 90 days.

the problem is reviews are always based on the here and now, not what might come and how well that is or isn't supported, every make and model can get failures, that's par for the course, how they get dealt with can vary greatly though

I was told they only back their products for 90 days ...

The USA is widely regarded as the cradle of consumer protection law. For a US domiciled seller to be legally able to limit their liability to only 90 days is shocking. It would be unlawful in the EU.

The USA is widely regarded as the cradle of consumer protection law. For a US domiciled seller to be legally able to limit their liability to only 90 days is shocking. It would be unlawful in the EU.

couldn't happen in Australia either

It's unfortunate that it worked out the way it has. I just checked their website and it's moot on their warranty policy insofar as I could find so it's not a matter of deceptive advertising.

If you paid with a credit card there's a possibility you may have some recourse via that route. Check with the card issuer.

the problem is reviews are always based on the here and now, not what might come and how well that is or isn't supported, every make and model can get failures, that's par for the course, how they get dealt with can vary greatly though
At least for me, final decisions on products always come down to service and support. Another great reason to review input from members on this forum.

It's unfortunate that it worked out the way it has. I just checked their website and it's moot on their warranty policy insofar as I could find so it's not a matter of deceptive advertising.

If you paid with a credit card there's a possibility you may have some recourse via that route. Check with the card issuer.

I've seen 90 days and 12 months quoted on the same product depending on the sales channel, always worth asking @spytech in case it's just a communications issue

Let me preface this... As a Texan, all my future dash cams will use Capacitors, not LiPos, I could have saved myself a ton of money.

That said, I purchased the Spy Tec A118 Full 1080P HD Video Car Dashboard Camera - Novatek NT96650 Chipset + Aptina AR0330 Lens based on the great reviews on dashcam talk, and my camera was able to prove fault in an accident saving me half of my deductible by proving the other driver didn't use a blinker, so I absolutely think my camera paid for itself ($250-80=Still ahead). This camera installed cleanly, had great quality video and did everything it was supposed to do... Until the LiPo battery died. On my camera I just chalked it up to hot Texas sun, and the fact I had it always powered on. It still works, however if the car power is turned off, there isn't enough juice left to "close" the current video file, so I have to let the car run for 5 minutes after I capture something, no biggie, until I get into something serious and the car loses power, now I won't have a usable video file. I ordered another one of theses figuring the battery issues was my fault as a Christmas gift for my sister less than a year ago, her car is garage kept both at home and work, ruling out the long Texas heat for the most part. She text me the other day a picture of her dash cam with an expanding LiPo battery to the point that the plastic case is bulging and separating. A bulging LiPo is downright unsafe, so at this point I reached out to SpyTec via their phone number expecting a 1 year warranty as answered in the Questions section for this product on Amazon. I was told they only back their products for 90 days and even after offering to give them more money for the capacitor versions, still they made it obvious they don't care about their brand name and customer retention. I have since told two other friends that have purchased this exact camera by my recommendation less than a month ago to return their cameras before they too are stuck with dead or possibly unsafe batteries.

I'm not one to leave bad reviews, but I reached out to Spytec via phone and e-mail giving them every chance to make this right, even offering to give them more money to upgrade to the capacitor version, and still nothing. I do not recommend this LiPo version of this camera, I do not recommend Spytec, and I hope this review saves others from having a camera fail when it was needed most.

imgur.com/a/dRW7k

Lucky for me, the price for 1080p Capacitor dashcams has come down to the same price point this year, sweet

another factor - you say you bought it on amazon? well, amazon should be able to help, too.

strange though - my original battery a118, bought over a year ago now (from spytec as it happens), and always parked outside in houston (my garage is too full of junk to put a car inside) has no issues. but mine's not wired up for 24/7 operation either - that's not good to be constantly charging a lithium battery, esp in a hot environment. doesn't explain why your sister's cam failed, but defective devices do happen unfortunately.

Here you have to give 2 years warranty, served me well with the 22" CRT monitor i am on now, got huge box sent for free shipping to Sweden to have it fixed, and it is now +10 years old.
Normally i dont hang on to consumer electronics for this long, but for a long time i was not satisfied with what LCD monitors had to offer, and i have kind of been delaying so i could replace it with a OLED monitor.
Now i am thnking maybe OLED is still to young a tech, and so i will proberly end up with a LCD monitor.

Then again i dont do gamin any more so maybe OLED is still a alternative.

imgur.com/a/dRW7k

Hey StevenK,

Sorry about your experience purchasing the a118 from us. I would have responded to this earlier, but we are in HK for the electronics shows and didn't see it until now. First of all, if you can private message me your order number I can attempt to resolve this for you. Unfortunately, our customer service people don't have authorization to extend the warranty themselves even though they are supposed to escalate the issue to a manager who can make that determination. Regardless, it definitely isn't pleasant to have 2 of these a118s die within 90 days. That's horrible, dangerous and frustrating. We stopped selling the a118 battery edition, so we can't replace those units but could switch them for a118-c (capacitor), which you indicated in your post you'd be interested in.

Regarding the warranty, we have a 90 day warranty on the cheaper Chinese products we sell because the rate of defective units is so much higher than usual. Our prices are competitive and to offer such a low price with this rate of defective unit is problematic. The chinese sellers are able to offer 1 year or 2 year warranties, because the % of people who actually are willing to box up their item, pay for it to be shipped back to China and wait a month or more to get it back on a relatively cheap item is very small. When we deal with defective units, we pay the return shipping and the shipping back to the customer. Anyway, we have been considering expanding our warranties on some of these sub-$100 units to 1 year and seeing whether we can absorb the cost.

We definitely are legally allowed to have a 90 day warranty (it's common in the US) and do not hide this at all.

Send me your order number and we'll try to help you.

Spy Tec

Just curious if this was resolved to OP's satisfaction.

Just curious if this was resolved to OP's satisfaction.

No. After they finally accepted them to be RMAed, I asked for store credit towards the Cap version... Eventually I saw a full refund from Amazon, so they even ignored my request for store credit. Luckily they ignored my request in a way that I got my money back. I took my business elsewhere since these guys can't seem to keep their stories straight and can't even handle a RMA as requested

No. After they finally accepted them to be RMAed, I asked for store credit towards the Cap version... Eventually I saw a full refund from Amazon, so they even ignored my request for store credit. Luckily they ignored my request in a way that I got my money back. I took my business elsewhere since these guys can't seem to keep their stories straight and can't even handle a RMA as requested

Sorry again about that Steven! I did respond to you on this thread and also sent you a private message to try to resolve your situation but you never responded. Because I didn't have your order number there was no way to assist you or investigate what occurred with your order.

I'd still appreciate if you could provide your order number, so that we can investigate your support ticket history. We do run an internal investigation whenever we receive these complaints so that we can try to identify where the problem went wrong and minimize the possibility of it reoccurring.

Sorry again about that Steven! I did respond to you on this thread and also sent you a private message to try to resolve your situation but you never responded. Because I didn't have your order number there was no way to assist you or investigate what occurred with your order.

I'd still appreciate if you could provide your order number, so that we can investigate your support ticket history. We do run an internal investigation whenever we receive these complaints so that we can try to identify where the problem went wrong and minimize the possibility of it reoccurring.

I never got an email from dashcamtalk until today about new messages or PMs, so thats why I didn't respond.

The order numbers were 104-1378663-7521839 and 108-7845476-2228260

My e-mails to support were on Oct 3rd, then I posted this thread and my negative Amazon review, after that Nadya started responding to me, after much back and forth I got the RMA approved on Oct 25th after at least 8 emails back and forth saying I wouldn't change my review. Then I sent in the cameras and they were returned to my credit card instead of applying towards the a118C like I asked, so I took my money elsewhere on amazon and got a the B40 version instead since it was cheaper and better than your a118c. This time I'm taking the risk of ordering from China to save money since it seems the US companies don't care any more than the Chinese.

It really was amazing how hard it was to get you guys to take more of my money, and in the end you returned my money, but you definitly lost a customer (and a few of my friends and family I had referred) due to terrible customer service.

Oh, and you still haven't clarified your warranty, but I see amazon removed the incorrect 1 year post in the questions: http://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx222E26G8OV23V/-/ref=ask_dp_lsw_al_hza?asin=B00SK8B47W

Our warranty was previously 90 days, but we've changed it (in the last month) to 1 year (on all the dash cameras). That would apply retroactively. I hope you don't get the impression that we aren't being forthright here. We don't hide our policies in anyway. Previously the warranty was 90 days, and now it is 1 year on all our dash cameras (including a118-c). I'd still appreciate if you could PM me your order number so that we could investigate.

I'm not sure what you meant to say about amazon removing a post in the questions?

Our warranty was previously 90 days, but we've changed it (in the last month) to 1 year (on all the dash cameras). That would apply retroactively. I hope you don't get the impression that we aren't being forthright here. We don't hide our policies in anyway. Previously the warranty was 90 days, and now it is 1 year on all our dash cameras (including a118-c). I'd still appreciate if you could PM me your order number so that we could investigate.

I'm not sure what you meant to say about amazon removing a post in the questions?

Order numbers were the 2nd sentence of my last post 104-1378663-7521839 and 108-7845476-2228260

Amazon removed an answer to the question of warranty because I notified them it was wrong, that was in my email to them...

Since you want to keep airing this out, how about I just post the email thread between Amazon, mysself, and your support Rep:

Hi Steve,

I am sorry but we only offer a 90 days warranty on this item.

If I could be of further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nadya
SpyTec.
1-877-212-7400

==
Did this solve your problem?

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=A1Q5JJPEV6HOXD&k=hy&ref_=bsm_hmdyes_pt

If no, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=A1Q5JJPEV6HOXD&k=hn&ref_=bsm_hmdno_pt

--- Original message ---

Order ID 104-1378663-7521839:
2 of A118 Full HD 1080P H.264 | Ships from USA | Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam | Black Box Video Recorder | Authentic NT96650 + AR0330 [ASIN: B00KZ0GKVS]

------------- Begin message -------------

Hello,

We've been contacted by a customer regarding the order identified below.

--------------------
Order#: 104-1378663-7521839
Item: A118 Full HD 1080P H.264 | Ships from USA | Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam | Black Box Video Recorder | Authentic NT96650 + AR0330
Reason: Received Damaged or Defective Item

Details: Hello! The item has arrived, and it worked fine for months, however it has stopped working for a while now. The battery of the item started expanding to the point the plastic casing was bulging and separating indicating the LiPo battery could explode. According to the manufacturer, the warranty is "90 days warranty on A118-C", however on the product page is stated that it has a 1Year warranty:http://www.amazon.com/What-is-the-w...g=UTF8&asin=B00KZ0GKVS&ref_=ask_dp_lsw_al_hza Please research the issue and contact the customer with options available and next steps to follow. Thanks!
-------------------

To respond to this customer, please reply to this e-mail or visit your seller account at the following link:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/communication-manager/inbox.html

Sincerely,
Customer Service Department
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com

I think that pretty much covers it.

Order numbers were the 2nd sentence of my last post 104-1378663-7521839 and 108-7845476-2228260

Amazon removed an answer to the question of warranty because I notified them it was wrong, that was in my email to them...

Since you want to keep airing this out, how about I just post the email thread between Amazon, mysself, and your support Rep:

I think that pretty much covers it.

Ok. Thanks for the order numbers, I guess I missed where you posted it above.

To be fair to that CS agent, that was our policy at the time (90 Day Warranty, so she was following our policy) but she could have dealt with that with more sensitivity in my opinion. She also could have asked a manager if we could have made an exception based on the unique circumstances of your camera defect.

Either way, I'm sorry about your negative experience with our company! We really do strive to do the best we can and it's disheartening when mistakes are made but we at least always strive to improve. If you are ever willing or interested to come back to us, I'd be happy to give you a discount code (via amazon or our site) if you PM me.

Last edited:
Back