Be sure to check your Dr900s...

Tfp

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dunno what the hell is up with my Dr900s. In addition to it shutting down when it's hot...mine RANDOMLY will not record!

I was involved in a close call on Saturday 7/28 evening. Went to review the footage an hour later and my camera hadn't been recording anything since 7/20!

There's been a few other times when it would not record normal driving times too that were not heat-related.

To possibly address this, I'm scheduling daily reboots at 6am and will be re-formatting the sd card monthly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The heat and shutting down, is a known issue.
Randomly not recording, could also be caused by the SD/Heat.
There was a firmware update for the DR900S on July 17th, if you haven't already updated - you may want to.

Luckily it was just a close call and you learned that it hadn't been capturing.
Could have been a costly lesson otherwise.

Has it been recording since you reformatted it?
Doing this monthly is also recommended by BlackVue.

Yep, I applied the 1.003 fw the day it was available.

Reformatted SD card last night and it's been recording.

Just want people to be aware and to check on your cams. This thing isn't a "set and forget" device.

Glad to hear it.
Every dashcam will ultimately require a bit of maintaining!

Side note...when I went to lunch today... It was 95 f according to my car. The wifi indicator was on but the camera wasn't recording until a few minutes later. Also, while the wifi indicator was on, the wifi wasn't available.

That's probably what's been giving me a false sense of recording! So frustrated with this thing.

7fc66001c21eab56aab5a7d3bdc75244.jpg

Side note...when I went to lunch today... It was 95 f according to my car. The wifi indicator was on but the camera wasn't recording until a few minutes later. Also, while the wifi indicator was on, the wifi wasn't available.

That's probably what's been giving me a false sense of recording! So frustrated with this thing.

I would recommend not using WiFi in Parking mode, esp since the 900S already has issues with overheating.

Also, what memory card are you using? I’ve had solid results with 256GB Samsung Evo Select (green, U3) in all my dashcams, even in Parking mode on days reaching 100F, in a black on black car (35% tints).

Is it just me or are we just coming up with a boatload of work arounds and fixes for this dashcam? I mean c'mon Blackvue supposedly is the best out there! Let's compile what we got going so far...

To resolve the overheating issue...

1. Run it in a lower resolution (so much for the touted 4k)

2. Try a different SD card (even though you paid for a Blackvue SD card to AVOID SD card issues)

3. Don't use a sunshade as the reflective heat will fail it sooner.

4. Get Ceramic window tint all around.

5. Format the sd card monthly and reboot it daily. (more for system stability)

6. Disable Wi-Fi in Parking mode (crippling your cloud features and notifications)

7. Update the firmware. (been there done that)

Feel free to add this list...

So far, the ONLY thing that Blackvue has impressed me with is the Power Magic B124.

Just kill me now already [emoji12]

LOL

We love all of the early adopters :love:

Who wants a camera to set and leave to never think about again anyways.

Reactions: RLS
I checked my DR900S after your warning, but mine has been recording fine and I have the expected number of 1-minute files over the past 2 weeks.

LOL

We love all of the early adopters :love:

Who wants a camera to set and leave to never think about again anyways.
I was sooooooo close to pre-ordering the DR900S to upgrade from my DR650 1ch that is /was getting a bit long in the tooth. So glad I held off waiting for all the beta testers to have a go at it. Of course the next model is on the drawing board to fix all the DR900 flaws. Other than a perfect form factor (for me) the reputation of Blackvue leaves a lot to be desired.

Just get a 750 2CH then.

Blackvue support thinks their sd card is defective. Sending it in for exchange.

Updates...
Using a Samsung vs BV micro SD CARD seems to help with the heat and random shutdowns.

I figured I'm effd with warranty so I decided to vent one end.

Added to the issue list is lousy recording thats fixable.

Rattling fix:
e66069f4ec8a0143f40523a74700824c.jpg
86cdeb656a5dcda071cf1b83e4ba1197.jpg
ccb978424d78944929694232e0ed4103.jpg
77c7d680f5974bd26bee911adbfd4f14.jpg

This camera sucks so bad. My first foray into dash cams and I chose this turd. My overheating issues are really making this thing a novelty item. I think I'm returning it and I guess waiting for the iroadx.

Yeah my first experience with dashcams too. Thought I bought a top of line system.

All the bells and whistles are amazing... WHEN THE SYSTEM IS RUNNING!

Never thought I'd be ripping my dashcam apart trying to fix issues.

Definitely runs cooler WITHOUT the Marketed 4k mode!

After more deliberation... I removed my suntek window tint... And am going to have a Ceramic Nano tint installed all around tomorrow. Even on the front Windshield.

This is my last resort [emoji23].

Back