Be very careful when buying a Thinkware product as they do not have a repair center in North America.

Maple

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I purchased two Thinkware F750 Dashcams about 20 months a go and one of the Dashcams locked up during a firmware update. I called Thinkware customer support and spoke to a guy called Kevin and he advised me I basically have a brick and there is nothing they can do as the Dashcam is out of warranty. Kevin explained they do not have a service center in North America and my Dashcam is an expensive paper-weight. I asked repeatedly if there was anything he could and he no we cannot help you. I asked if he thought it was acceptable that they sell expensive products that cannot be repaired and he said he agreed that it is not acceptable. I told Kevin that I would let other people know who are thinking about buying a Thinkware product that there is no repair option available after the warranty has expired and he said that you are not allowed to do that. The F750 has been a great camera until it stopped working but please be very careful if you are thinking about buying a Thinkware product as they will not help you if you have issues after warranty. My camera locked up during the firmware update and Kevin said this is unusual and never happens..................Buyer beware

you're not the first one that has had this type of failure doing an update, no doubt you won't be the last either unfortunately

It is sad a brand this big dont have any support in this part of the world. ( US / EU ) very arrogant if you ask me, so i would personally be very apprehensive about spending my money there.
So we have a business, and whats the first we do, exclude ourself from 2 of the biggest markets in the world,,,,,,,, thats not good business practice if you ask me.

I purchased two Thinkware F750 Dashcams about 20 months a go and one of the Dashcams locked up during a firmware update. I called Thinkware customer support and spoke to a guy called Kevin and he advised me I basically have a brick and there is nothing they can do as the Dashcam is out of warranty. Kevin explained they do not have a service center in North America and my Dashcam is an expensive paper-weight. I asked repeatedly if there was anything he could and he no we cannot help you. I asked if he thought it was acceptable that they sell expensive products that cannot be repaired and he said he agreed that it is not acceptable. I told Kevin that I would let other people know who are thinking about buying a Thinkware product that there is no repair option available after the warranty has expired and he said that you are not allowed to do that. The F750 has been a great camera until it stopped working but please be very careful if you are thinking about buying a Thinkware product as they will not help you if you have issues after warranty. My camera locked up during the firmware update and Kevin said this is unusual and never happens..................Buyer beware

"and he said that you are not allowed to do that." lol

Last edited:
Simply not acceptable to not have direct support in one of your biggest markets. If the camera got bricked during an update, customer shouldn't have incur a charge to get it in a working state, company needs to make exceptions for such instances. Also $350 for a dual-channel with just one year warranty, that's exorbitant, minimum should be 2 years.

Company needs to take onus and agree upon a resolution that can be facilitated by the retailer. By themselves, there's a limit to the level of support a retailer can provide.

Did you contact the store you bought it from? I bought mine from blackboxmycar.com. Mine is out of warranty now, and I wouldn't expect them to be able to do anything, but if I were you I would contact the shop I bought from and see if they could help. Otherwise I would just buy a new one.

I have both F770 and F800. Next time I need a new dashcam I will consider blackview and maybe other brands.

Did you contact the store you bought it from? I bought mine from blackboxmycar.com. Mine is out of warranty now, and I wouldn't expect them to be able to do anything, but if I were you I would contact the shop I bought from and see if they could help. Otherwise I would just buy a new one.

I purchased my F750 from Best Buy and they are not able to help

Sorry to hear this, but very similar things have happened in the past with these people, which can be found spoken of here on DCT and elsewhere. It is imperative that you do your research before buying anything. I cannot fault them too much for not wanting to do a lot after a known warranty period has expired but they could at least offer a repair service or a discount on a new cam. Do they think that a customer who is abused this will buy from them again?

Give the seller a try, maybe you will get lucky there. I hope so. But if they get the same kind of response from Thinkware then don't expect much from them either. And next time round, find a better company and a better seller. Choose well and you'll get a better cam for a better price too :)

Phil

That is very unfortunate. Did you by any chance pay for your dash cam with a credit card? Many credit card companies will extend your warranty by one year if you paid for the purchase with your card.

That is very unfortunate. Did you by any chance pay for your dash cam with a credit card? Many credit card companies will extend your warranty by one year if you paid for the purchase with your card.
No such luck I’m afraid, my credit card company doesn’t extend the warranty.

No such luck I’m afraid, my credit card company doesn’t extend the warranty.
Sorry to hear that :(

Have you tried to manually reset your camera?

Sorry to hear that :(

Have you tried to manually reset your camera?
Yes I’ve tried a manual reset, I’ve tried a new media card. I’ve downloaded the firmware and tried a new install and nothing works. Thinkware support said it’s bricked and they do not have the equipment needed to unlock it in North America. Any dashcams returned under warranty are shipped back to Korea and get refurbished. I asked if there was anything they could for me and they no because if they help me they would have to help everyone else in a similar situation. I would gladly pay for it to be repaired and it frustrates me they sell the product but have no intention of opening a service center in the US.

Did you reset by holding the rec and format button? Did you try to use the hole to reset it? Both?

Just making sure you have tried absolutely everything before giving up, I know how frustrating this type of thing can be!

Did you reset by holding the rec and format button? Did you try to use the hole to reset it? Both?

Just making sure you have tried absolutely everything before giving up, I know how frustrating this type of thing can be!

Reset and format didn’t work unfortunately.

this might explain why they don't issue any new updates anymore...?

They don't do any more updates for it as there's not any bugs / issues to fix! We're in the UK and are lucky enough to have the cables etc to do a full reflash, it's just a shame that big pond is between us as it makes the carriage quite expensive....

I will email our contacts in Korea to see if they are aware of anyone in Canada with the cables etc...

They don't do any more updates for it as there's not any bugs / issues to fix! We're in the UK and are lucky enough to have the cables etc to do a full reflash, it's just a shame that big pond is between us as it makes the carriage quite expensive....

I will email our contacts in Korea to see if they are aware of anyone in Canada with the cables etc...

Thank you for trying help

Here is a reply from another thread, I think you may be able to have your unit repaired!

Hi Fred, If you are out of our warranty period we do offer repair services in North America which are a small extra fee, we apologize for the support you have received and that you were not notified of our repair services. If you are indeed interested, please contact us.

Kind Regards, Thinkware Customer Support

Hi There, We do offer repair options if you are out of warranty. We would love to make this situation right and get this camera fixed. Please contact our support team at 1-844-865-9273 or by Email: support@thinkware.com

Kind Regards, Thinkware Customer Support

He quoted the other guy $80 bucks FYI. Hope it helps!

Back