Before I formally introduce 6 Hikvision 1600P Dashcams, Please check out demo videos below

This was one reason I asked for some "sunny day" vids ;) The glare isn't nearly as bad as some cams I have, and I did notice the windshield isn't perfectly clean which exacerbates glare considerably. No names mentioned but I've got some well-known cams which do not do even this good with brightest sun, and I see those conditions a lot where I live :cool:

I can tolerate a reduction in vid quality but I can't tolerate having a whole view wiped out with glare or darkness. Best to have neither problem :) I also have to think about price; what good is a perfect dashcam if we cannot afford to buy it? So I don't expect perfection, but there is some room for gains in vid quality of dashcams and with their existing camera experience Hikivision is perfectly placed to deliver that to us.

Phil

One thing you overlooked and two requests I have for @RickyC - Per #1 (CPL Filter).

1. Do your cameras come with CPL filters? You might try a sunny day video using the CPL filter and then we can do a side by side comparison. Be sure to clean your windshield, too.

2. @RickyC Please also record a night video, too. So we can see how this camera handles in low light situations.

Thank you.

Do you use Battery or Capacitor on Hikvision Dashcams?

The Answer:

F6/F6Pro/F6S have no Battery or Capacitor as the size of dashcam body is too small to contain anything;
C6/C6Pro and C6S use supercapacitors.

Ok, I just did a testing on my F6S to see if this will cause video file loss.

what I did is as followings:
I formatted Micro SD card;
start counting 60 seconds down;
unplugged power at the last second;
took the card out;
export the video from the card;

here is the video

image of the first second.JPG

image of the last second.JPG

I was also told if you see the last video file loss, you just need to power up the dashcam again to redo indexing of the file.

Hope this helpful.

Do you use Battery or Capacitor on Hikvision Dashcams?

The Answer:

F6/F6Pro/F6S have no Battery or Capacitor as the size of dashcam body is too small to contain anything;
C6/C6Pro and C6S use supercapacitors.

Ok, I just did a testing on my F6S to see if this will cause video file loss.

what I did is as followings:
I formatted Micro SD card;
start counting 60 seconds down;
unplugged power at the last second;
took the card out;
export the video from the card;

here is the video

View attachment 59257

View attachment 59258

I was also told if you see the last video file loss, you just need to power up the dashcam again to redo indexing of the file.

Hope this helpful.

If you pulled the power, why is the video 3 minutes in length? We can't see the point where you yanked out the power because the video continued recording for another 1.5 minutes sitting on 1 second.

Also, what file format is the video recorded in, presuming there is no battery or supercap? .TS or JDR?

Now the question is what file format do these cameras use? As discussed above .JDR and .TS don't require batteries or supercapacitors. So I presume these cameras save in one of those two formats?
no They are not .JDR or .TS, but our encrypted format

1639086920397.png

preformatted with hivxxx . each file size 256MB.
so you cannot delete any footage without being noticed before you export those files.

That is an interesting video, well not the content of the video but the technicalities [emoji3]

Am I right in saying that the clip files are written as pre formatted and pre sized containers which would account for all the file sizes being exactly the same?

Video clip data is then written to the pre formatted container, this would explain why the clip carries on but with the last frame that was written by the cam being displayed as a static image.

An interesting method, I’ve seen this method used previously to guard against data loss.

When you say encrypted, does it need a special player in order to playback the clips or do they need to be converted?

Hope your app team can answer every single one these questions...I'm very eager to hear their reasoning for all of them.

Possibly. We don't know that yet.
Apps should only have the necessary permissions and function to do their job. I'm not sure that I understand the reasons for requesting all of these permissions on our personal device. There are many other competing dashcams on the market (with just as many or even more features than your product) that don't require nor collect these invasive permissions or data.

All these information is being collected and *could* potentially be sent somewhere. Where? I don't know.

Thank you for answering those last 2 questions.
That answer sounds reasonable. Although I'm not sure that using that method makes it easier than using a generic WiFi AP with a generic password that can be later changed at the user's discretion.
I also don't see the reason for having those permissions when your app already has an existing Bluetooth permission and can achieve the same result via pairing/sharing of connection.

The remaining questions that I need answer for are:
1.) Why does the app need to see what other apps I have installed and running? What other apps or list of apps is the company looking for here, and how exactly does it relate to the functionality of the product? What does your company do with these list of apps that I have installed or running tied to my IMEI/device ID? Is this list of apps being sold to data brokers?
2.) Why does it need to read "sensitive" log data? What does it do with this "sensitive" log data that it reads?
3.) Why does it need to read phone status and identity? Why does the app need the IMEI of my mobile device to function?
4.) Why does it need to read device ID and call information?
I got answers yesterday. But I was too busy last night to focus on this post.
Now, Let me answer Lothar's question about permission questions on HikDashcam app.

Questions
1.) Why does the app need to see what other apps I have installed and running? What other apps or list of apps is the company looking for here, and how exactly does it relate to the functionality of the product? What does your company do with these list of apps that I have installed or running tied to my IMEI/device ID? Is this list of apps being sold to data brokers?
2.) Why does it need to read "sensitive" log data? What does it do with this "sensitive" log data that it reads?
3.) Why does it need to read phone status and identity? Why does the app need the IMEI of my mobile device to function?

Answers:
HikDashcam or any other Apps require permissions to see my IMEI/device ID for 2 things:
1)Push notifications, such as App or Dashcam new firmware version notifications, remote alarm notifications, Geofence notifications, etc.
This is a basic requirement for sending notifications to an App on a phone.
2) Those permissions are needed to do app crash analysis and app optimization.

These permissions to see what app is running as well as log data is not to be used for collecting other apps information.
it is only used to collect running status of our own app for crash analysis.

HikDashcam has no intention to invade your privacy. You can disable those permissions anytime.

We are going to release a new app to remove all those functions like push notifications , crush analysis and app optimization.
Then none of those permissions are needed.

Ok, I hope this answered your questions.

Last edited:
That is an interesting video, well not the content of the video but the technicalities [emoji3]

Am I right in saying that the clip files are written as pre formatted and pre sized containers which would account for all the file sizes being exactly the same?

Video clip data is then written to the pre formatted container, this would explain why the clip carries on but with the last frame that was written by the cam being displayed as a static image.

An interesting method, I’ve seen this method used previously to guard against data loss.

When you say encrypted, does it need a special player in order to playback the clips or do they need to be converted?
you will need a software called Miniplayer to export from the card to your computer.
Once you export those files, it will be normal MP4, you can use any player to play.

here is the screenshot.

1639089476441.png

One thing you overlooked and two requests I have for @RickyC - Per #1 (CPL Filter).

1. Do your cameras come with CPL filters? You might try a sunny day video using the CPL filter and then we can do a side by side comparison. Be sure to clean your windshield, too.

2. @RickyC Please also record a night video, too. So we can see how this camera handles in low light situations.

Thank you.
We don't have CPL filter as I know. But I will confirm later.

How do you guys shoot a night time video? Turn off headlight ? or just no street light?
I have posted a night time video on a busy street.

In the second video there are two 'glitches' at 0.49 and at 1.48.

Otherwise looks good!

Phil
Good catch. I believe that is because I used a very old Kingston card.
I usually use our own Micro SD cards.
Never saw this before.

How do you guys shoot a night time video? Turn off headlight ? or just no street light?

CPL filters are vital for dash cam users because there are often severe reflections of a cars dash board that appear in the videos and they can obscure evidence capture, as well as being otherwise unpleasant. These days the vast majority of dash cam users have one on their cameras or expect that one will be available for their camera if they find that they need or want one.

Night time video is just normal driving in the range of typical conditions for each user. So yes, you would have your headlights on and streetlights depend on one's environment. For example, I live in a rural area where there are no streetlights and I am often driving around in the pitch dark. On the other hand I might be in the nearby town which is no different than any other urban/suburban environment before I return to my home out in the countryside where I live. To gauge the nightime performance of a dash cam I would want to see how it performs in total darkness with just my headlights as well as in a typical urban environment with streetlights, other cars, signage and ambient artificial illumination. I would want to see how well it captures other cars and pedestrians, license plates, signage etc., and whether or not there is excessive motion blur under low light conditions.

Last edited:
Before the formal product release @RickyC has joined DCT, posted some videos and information, and asked us for questions. He has been responsive, provided further details and clarification, and not been afraid to say "I don't know". That all seems reasonable to me.
Absolutely.
And I give him props for continuing to engage and not running away.

I don't have any issue with him personally. It's his employer's app/data/permission policy that we want to clarify here.
He did mention that he worked at a different department and not the dash cam division.

Sorry, only Windows version available. Currently, we don't have Mac version for Miniplayer.
the download link is here
:(

Edit: I use both Mac & Windows via a virtual machine so not that big a deal but having both options would certainly be preferred. Plus Mac only users would not be potential customers since the software is vital to the camera's use. That can't be a good sales strategy for a general consumer product like a dash cam considering the popularity of the Mac platform.

Last edited:

I would suggest a CPL filter be developed. As @Dashmellow already beat me to the explanation. But CPL filters are critical at reducing glare on very sunny days and also glare from street lights at night. I would say that this should be a top goal of your parent company to have ready before the product gets launched.

Also, do you plan to release or have a hardwire kit to go with the camera?

How will parking mode work on these units? Motion Detection with Buffered Parking Mode? Event Detection? Or Real time recording while parked? I presume this camera has a G-Sensor to detect impacts.

Night Driving

Drive in a city with street lights, business sign reflections, other cars using headlights, etc.

Then drive outside the city in a very low light condition (maybe a back road) with just your headlights.

Turning off your headlights isn't necessary. And would be dangerous No one would expect a camera to operate in total darkness without any illumination.

Last edited:

I wondered that above. Why the video stopped at 12:20:05 but continued on for the total 3 minutes just displaying the last frame. What you said makes perfect sense.

Seems his company has created their own proprietary file format.

I'm hoping @RickyC gets a small stock of his entire product line to send out to beta testers. Ideally, he would have Hikvision provide him with enough to have all these units thoroughly tested and tweaked, before hitting the market.

Also, Having a CPL filter and Hardwire kit ready to go would be strongly recommended before launch, too.

I wondered that above. Why the video stopped at 12:20:05 but continued on for the total 3 minutes just displaying the last frame. What you said makes perfect sense.

Seems his company has created their own proprietary file format.

I'm hoping @RickyC gets a small stock of his entire product line to send out to beta testers. Ideally, he would have Hikvision provide him with enough to have all these units thoroughly tested and tweaked, before hitting the market.

Also, Having a CPL filter and Hardwire kit ready to go would be strongly recommended before launch, too.
Thanks for suggestion. That is what I planed to do.

I got answers yesterday. But I was too busy last night to focus on this post.
Now, Let me answer Lothar's question about permission questions on HikDashcam app.

Questions

Answers:
HikDashcam or any other Apps require permissions to see my IMEI/device ID for 2 things:
1)
Push notifications, such as App or Dashcam new firmware version notifications, remote alarm notifications, Geofence notifications, etc.
This is a basic requirement for sending notifications to an App on a phone.
2) Those permissions are needed to do app crash analysis and app optimization.

These permissions to see what app is running as well as log data is not to be used for collecting other apps information.
it is only used to collect running status of our own app for crash analysis.

HikDashcam has no intention to invade your privacy. You can disable those permissions anytime.

We are going to release a new app to remove all those functions like push notifications , crush analysis and app optimization.
Then none of those permissions are needed.

Ok, I hope this answered your questions.
1.) I would argue that those IMEI permissions are not required to achieve any of that. It's very likely that your app developers are targeting a very old and outdated API on Android. You can figure out the type of device through other methods without using the IMEI. My issue here is that the IMEI ties to many other important and very private things...including (but not limited to) the network and country from which your device originally comes from, my phone number, warranty information, date of purchase, carrier information, Find My iPhone/Android device Status, iCloud Status, Blacklist Status, Seller Information, Network & Simlock checks, Phone Blacklist, Carrier Check, Unlocking Simlock, Warranty Checks, etc... Also, anyone with your device IMEI can also report the phone lost/stolen and therefore making an insurance claim on it...And once that insurance claim happens, it will be blacklisted almost everywhere regardless of what. Again, none of the other dash cam app from Viofo, Street Guardian, Thinkware have this permission and some of them offer the features that you mentioned without resorting to this permission. You don't need IMEI permission do any sort of app crash analysis or app optimization. Again, I would recommend your app developer target a more recent version of Android API.

2.) Yes, but with this permission you can also see what other apps the user has installed and running. It is not only about seeing "your own" app. This permission does not only log data on just "1" specific app. It identifies all apps that the user has installed and running. This permission can call up a list of apps installed on the device and other types of meta-data, which can then be used to infer things about the user. Studies have also shown that apps with no permissions are able to piggyback on other apps you've given permissions to. This permission is not required for a dash cam app to function.

Push notifications is fine.
IMEI, running apps, and "sensitive" log data Permission is not a necessary function for dash cam (app or hardware) operation.
I would advise you to have your company's app developers and have them look at comparable apps from other major dash cam competitors (such as Viofo, Street Guardian, and Thinkware), and use that as a starting ground for required permissions as this will help allay some of our privacy concerns.

Thank you for being thorough in your response to my questions.

I would suggest a CPL filter be developed. As @Dashmellow already beat me to the explanation. But CPL filters are critical at reducing glare on very sunny days and also glare from street lights at night. I would say that this should be a top goal of your parent company to have ready before the product gets launched.

Also, do you plan to release or have a hardwire kit to go with the camera?

How will parking mode work on these units? Motion Detection with Buffered Parking Mode? Event Detection? Or Real time recording while parked? I presume this camera has a G-Sensor to detect impacts.

Night Driving

Drive in a city with street lights, business sign reflections, other cars using headlights, etc.

Then drive outside the city in a very low light condition (maybe a back road) with just your headlights.

Turning off your headlights isn't necessary. And would be dangerous No one would expect a camera to operate in total darkness without any illumination.
I will record some low lux videos tomorrow night as well as answers to your other questions about CPL and Hardwire kit.

Back