Before I formally introduce 6 Hikvision 1600P Dashcams, Please check out demo videos below

1.) I would argue that those IMEI permissions are not required to achieve any of that. It's very likely that your app developers are targeting a very old and outdated API on Android. You can figure out the type of device through other methods without using the IMEI. My issue here is that the IMEI ties to many other important and very private things...including (but not limited to) the network and country from which your device originally comes from, my phone number, warranty information, date of purchase, carrier information, Find My iPhone/Android device Status, iCloud Status, Blacklist Status, Seller Information, Network & Simlock checks, Phone Blacklist, Carrier Check, Unlocking Simlock, Warranty Checks, etc... Also, anyone with your device IMEI can also report the phone lost/stolen and therefore making an insurance claim on it...And once that insurance claim happens, it will be blacklisted almost everywhere regardless of what. Again, none of the other dash cam app from Viofo, Street Guardian, Thinkware have this permission and some of them offer the features that you mentioned without resorting to this permission. You don't need IMEI permission do any sort of app crash analysis or app optimization. Again, I would recommend your app developer target a more recent version of Android API.

2.) Yes, but with this permission you can also see what other apps the user has installed and running. It is not only about seeing "your own" app. This permission does not only log data on just "1" specific app. It identifies all apps that the user has installed and running. This permission can call up a list of apps installed on the device and other types of meta-data, which can then be used to infer things about the user. Studies have also shown that apps with no permissions are able to piggyback on other apps you've given permissions to. This permission is not required for a dash cam app to function.

Push notifications is fine.
IMEI, running apps, and "sensitive" log data Permission is not a necessary function for dash cam (app or hardware) operation.
I would advise you to have your company's app developers and have them look at comparable apps from other major dash cam competitors (such as Viofo, Street Guardian, and Thinkware), and use that as a starting ground for required permissions as this will help allay some of our privacy concerns.

Thank you for being thorough in your response to my questions.

I agree here. I don't think the Dash Cam Software requires access to the IMEI for any reason other than being intrusive. That IMEI number is your phones unique identifier. As your phone number, make and model of phone, and service provider are all tied to the IMEI.

I see no reason why the software would need access to this to function when other manufacturers don't require it.

I hope the developers will rectify this issue. Only thing the app needs is to be able to access the phone's storage and determine the build of android software being used to determine compatibility.

1.) I would argue that those IMEI permissions are not required to achieve any of that. It's very likely that your app developers are targeting a very old and outdated API on Android. You can figure out the type of device through other methods without using the IMEI. My issue here is that the IMEI ties to many other important and very private things...including (but not limited to) the network and country from which your device originally comes from, my phone number, warranty information, date of purchase, carrier information, Find My iPhone/Android device Status, iCloud Status, Blacklist Status, Seller Information, Network & Simlock checks, Phone Blacklist, Carrier Check, Unlocking Simlock, Warranty Checks, etc... Also, anyone with your device IMEI can also report the phone lost/stolen and therefore making an insurance claim on it...And once that insurance claim happens, it will be blacklisted almost everywhere regardless of what. Again, none of the other dash cam app from Viofo, Street Guardian, Thinkware have this permission and some of them offer the features that you mentioned without resorting to this permission. You don't need IMEI permission do any sort of app crash analysis or app optimization. Again, I would recommend your app developer target a more recent version of Android API.

2.) Yes, but with this permission you can also see what other apps the user has installed and running. It is not only about seeing "your own" app. This permission does not only log data on just "1" specific app. It identifies all apps that the user has installed and running. This permission can call up a list of apps installed on the device and other types of meta-data, which can then be used to infer things about the user. Studies have also shown that apps with no permissions are able to piggyback on other apps you've given permissions to. This permission is not required for a dash cam app to function.

Push notifications is fine.
IMEI, running apps, and "sensitive" log data Permission is not a necessary function for dash cam (app or hardware) operation.
I would advise you to have your company's app developers and have them look at comparable apps from other major dash cam competitors (such as Viofo, Street Guardian, and Thinkware), and use that as a starting ground for required permissions as this will help allay some of our privacy concerns.
We plan to have a new simple version of Dashcam App to be released very soon which will remove push notification, crash analysis and app optimization. Then users will not receive notifications of new firmware version. They have to manually click "check update" button to see if there is new version available. They will not see permission request for those information.
Please help me to check its permissions once it is available.
Thanks, Lothar!

I will record some low lux videos tomorrow night as well as answers to your other questions about CPL and Hardwire kit.

Thanks. Hope you don't think we're all hounding you here. We're just trying to get answers that you'll need to have once going "live" to the public. As these questions (and comparative videos) are items that may be requested by the consumer when comparison shopping your cameras against competitors.

I agree here. I don't think the Dash Cam Software requires access to the IMEI for any reason other than being intrusive. That IMEI number is your phones unique identifier. As your phone number, make and model of phone, and service provider are all tied to the IMEI.

I see no reason why the software would need access to this to function when other manufacturers don't require it.

I hope the developers will rectify this issue. Only thing the app needs is to be able to access the phone's storage and determine the build of android software being used to determine compatibility.

Thanks. Hope you don't think we're all hounding you here. We're just trying to get answers that you'll need to have once going "live" to the public. As these questions (and comparative videos) are items that may be requested by the consumer when comparison shopping your cameras against competitors.
No, I understand your concerns. I am communicating with our App team to confirm something.
No worries, You guys have been very helpful.

no They are not .JDR or .TS, but our encrypted format

View attachment 59259

preformatted with hivxxx . each file size 256MB.
so you cannot delete any footage without being noticed before you export those files.

You say the files are pre-formatted at 256MB. Is that for 3 minutes, or 1 minute?

The filenames have simple consecutive numbers, and the 'date modified' on your screenshot is the same for each file. How can the user determine the time & date each file was recorded? Many dashcams write the time & date into the filename which makes things easier to find.

Can a user download a video from the camera to their phone using the app? Will this be in MP4 format?

You say the files are pre-formatted at 256MB. Is that for 3 minutes, or 1 minute?

The filenames have simple consecutive numbers, and the 'date modified' on your screenshot is the same for each file. How can the user determine the time & date each file was recorded? Many dashcams write the time & date into the filename which makes things easier to find.

Can a user download a video from the camera to their phone using the app? Will this be in MP4 format?

I think you have to use their app to effectively convert it to MP4 as the clips are in a proprietary format and encrypted.

I wondered that above. Why the video stopped at 12:20:05 but continued on for the total 3 minutes just displaying the last frame. What you said makes perfect sense.

Seems his company has created their own proprietary file format.

I'm hoping @RickyC gets a small stock of his entire product line to send out to beta testers. Ideally, he would have Hikvision provide him with enough to have all these units thoroughly tested and tweaked, before hitting the market.

Also, Having a CPL filter and Hardwire kit ready to go would be strongly recommended before launch, too.

I’m sure in some of the links there is a hard wire kit?

I think you have to use their app to effectively convert it to MP4 as the clips are in a proprietary format and encrypted.
I was asking whether the mobile app can do this (i.e. download and decrypt), or if the desktop application "miniplayer" is the only way to convert the files.

So, I was browsing the User Manual for one of the Hikvision dash cams and came across an unusual, and I might say rather amusing Disclaimer, the likes of which I have never before seen on a consumer product, especially a dash cam and in particular, the last paragraph. o_O

AE-DC5013-F6 1600P/Wi-Fi AP

https://ca.hikvision.com/en/product...d-cameras-dashcams/1600p-dashcam-ae-dc5013-f6

Disclaimer
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW,
THIS MANUAL AND THE PRODUCT DESCRIBED, WITH ITS
HARDWARE, SOFTWARE AND FIRMWARE, ARE PROVIDED “AS IS”
AND “WITH ALL FAULTS AND ERRORS”. HIKVISION MAKES NO
WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT
LIMITATION, MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE USE OF THE
PRODUCT BY YOU IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IN NO EVENT WILL
HIKVISION BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY SPECIAL,
CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR INDIRECT DAMAGES,
INCLUDING, AMONG OTHERS, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS
PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR LOSS OF DATA,
CORRUPTION OF SYSTEMS, OR LOSS OF DOCUMENTATION,
WHETHER BASED ON BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, IN
CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE PRODUCT, EVEN IF
HIKVISION HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGES OR LOSS.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE NATURE OF INTERNET PROVIDES
FOR INHERENT SECURITY RISKS, AND HIKVISION SHALL NOT TAKE
ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ABNORMAL OPERATION, PRIVACY
LEAKAGE OR OTHER DAMAGES RESULTING FROM CYBER-ATTACK,
HACKER ATTACK, VIRUS INSPECTION, OR OTHER INTERNET
SECURITY RISKS; HOWEVER, HIKVISION WILL PROVIDE TIMELY
TECHNICAL SUPPORT IF REQUIRED.

YOU AGREE TO USE THIS PRODUCT IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL
APPLICABLE LAWS, AND YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR
ENSURING THAT YOUR USE CONFORMS TO THE APPLICABLE
LAW. ESPECIALLY, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE, FOR USING THIS
PRODUCT IN A MANNER THAT DOES NOT INFRINGE ON THE
RIGHTS OF THIRD PARTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION,
RIGHTS OF PUBLICITY, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, OR
DATA PROTECTION AND OTHER PRIVACY RIGHTS.

YOU SHALL NOT USE THIS PRODUCT FOR ANY PROHIBITED END-USES,
INCLUDING THE DEVELOPMENT OR PRODUCTION OF WEAPONS
OF MASS DESTRUCTION, THE DEVELOPMENT OR PRODUCTION
OF CHEMICAL OR BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS, ANY ACTIVITIES IN
THE CONTEXT RELATED TO ANY NUCLEAR EXPLOSIVE OR UNSAFE
NUCLEAR FUEL-CYCLE, OR IN SUPPORT OF HUMAN RIGHTS
ABUSES.

Last edited:
I notice the the C6Pro, F6 Pro and F6S versions have voice control and ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance System). Hopefully ADAS can be turned off if the user does not want it.

I wonder if WiFi is always-on? I don't see a button to turn it on/off.

Dammit i was planning to go into WMD production, to get my Americans friends to turn Denmark into the 51 state and give us poor bastards true freedom. :giggle:

Dammit i was planning to go into WMD production, to get my Americans friends to turn Denmark into the 51 state and give us poor bastards true freedom. :giggle:

Yeah, I know how you feel. There go my diabolical plans too! Totally bummed. :bigtears:

So, I was browsing the User Manual for one of the Hikvision dash cams and came across an unusual, and I might say rather amusing Disclaimer, the likes of which I have never before seen on a consumer product, especially a dash cam and in particular, the last paragraph. o_O

YOU SHALL NOT USE THIS PRODUCT FOR ANY PROHIBITED END-USES,
INCLUDING THE DEVELOPMENT OR PRODUCTION OF WEAPONS
OF MASS DESTRUCTION, THE DEVELOPMENT OR PRODUCTION
OF CHEMICAL OR BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS, ANY ACTIVITIES IN
THE CONTEXT RELATED TO ANY NUCLEAR EXPLOSIVE OR UNSAFE
NUCLEAR FUEL-CYCLE, OR IN SUPPORT OF HUMAN RIGHTS
ABUSES.

And here I planned to use their dashcam to conduct espionage on Iran and sell their secrets. Darn it. Hikivision foiled my plan.

Yeah, I know how you feel. There go my diabolical plans too! Totally bummed. :bigtears:

Without a super-capacitor, I don't think it would have been possible. :giggle:

each file size is 256MB.
For 1600P video recording, it is 2min long. For other resolutions settings, it will be longer for sure.
hiv000xx is just the file name format in the card. There is an index file in the card too. So when you load the files up in the Miniplayer, you will see all file names come with date and time.
see the screenshot below.
1639156325390.png

you can search and download a video to phones with the App. But the resolution will not be as good as you export from the card directly.

Ricky

:(

Edit: I use both Mac & Windows via a virtual machine so not that big a deal but having both options would certainly be preferred. Plus Mac only users would not be potential customers since the software is vital to the camera's use. That can't be a good sales strategy for a general consumer product like a dash cam considering the popularity of the Mac platform.
In discussion with R&D to add this into plan

each file size is 256MB.
For 1600P video recording, it is 2min long. For other resolutions settings, it will be longer for sure.
hiv000xx is just the file name format in the card. There is an index file in the card too. So when you load the files up in the Miniplayer, you will see all file names come with date and time.
see the screenshot below.

you can search and download a video to phones with the App. But the resolution will not be as good as you export from the card directly.

Ricky

This makes no sense. So using the APP to download from the Camera --> Phone creates a worse quality video than using MiniPlayer ---> PC?

In discussion with R&D to add this into plan

There was a time when many product developers would give short shrift to the Mac platform for both desktop and mobile. Nowadays, most developers see the value in providing apps for both since the Mac and iOS have become as popular and mainstream as they have as they know they would otherwise be leaving a lot of sales on the table. Apple has come a long way from the days when they were circling the drain.

This makes no sense. So using the APP to download from the Camera --> Phone creates a worse quality video than using MiniPlayer ---> PC?
Could be a low bitrate version that is sent to the phone, to reduce the transfer time. I see the same with my WiFi cctv camera. Only way to get the full bitrate video is to pull the card from the camera.

EDIT: As stated in the post below, the downloaded file is only 25MB rather than 256MB.

Last edited:
I was asking whether the mobile app can do this (i.e. download and decrypt), or if the desktop application "miniplayer" is the only way to convert the files.
HikDashcam can do download but the problem is the resolution of video is not 1600p any more. the file size will be reduced to 10% only 25MB. it looks still clear on the phone screen but it is not good enough to play on a large screen.
it is the only way now to use Miniplayer to export files from a card to your computer.

Back