Bench Test of Viofo A129 Pro Duo

careh

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo with HK3 hardwire kit
I had issues with parking mode on my first A129 Pro Duo. Thanks to the members here - it got resolved (faulty wiring by the installer of the HK3 harness). At the time I was thinking that I really did not know if the issue was the HK3 or the wiring or the camera or....

I also could not find documentation or better yet a video of what the A129 Pro camera would look like while in operation -as in what lights are on and when.

So that got me to thinking that it might be better to 'bench test' your camera - before installing it - to confirm it is working properly.

I did that on my second camera - which I will have installed next week. Here is a video I did (I am no Hollywood director - so you get what you pay for) but I 'm hoping it helps others.

So give it a look and let me know of things I missed. I know a couple of things I missed are to turn the camera off before taking the SD chip out and how to switch it to H265 mode... That will come in a subsequent version.

You Tube Bench Test of V129 Pro Duo

Last edited:
Hey thanks for this video! This is exactly what new users need and I appreciate the work you put in.

I’m a big techie but I have one question on switching the SD card: I know it should be powered off. Do you just pull the USB cord to do that or is there a way to power off with the button?

If you did a follow on video you could consider explaining the parking modes, and explaining how you see them on the files (p vs f at the end). Also explaining the voltage cutoff on the HK3. Lastly, explaining what the file locks are from (G impact, emergency button press, parking events, etc).

I don’t know if you are using the CPL filters or the Bluetooth button but you could explain those as well.

as i recall you long press the power button to power off the camera if the car are still running, or if you have the hard wire kit and park some place and the camera turn into parking mode with key off, but then if you dont want to use parking guard there ( in your garage maybe ) then you long press power to turn off camera / parking guard.

CPL filter remove many reflections in the windscreen, but it don't take all, but it are often a must have on a dashcam, another option is to use a flat black dashmat, this will not reflect as much in windscreen as semi glossy dashboard plastic.
Many youtube videos on what CPL filter do on cameras, just go to youtube and search with how do CPL filter work.
The Bluetooth button are just for creating manual event files, if you don't have that you have to press the event button on the camera itself, which can be a little tricky depending on your install.
So a remote button you can put on your center console or where ever it is more accessible.

If you use long press to power off camera while the car is running, then if you want to turn it back on again while the car are still running you also have to long press to turn it on.
If you have powered off manual, and then later turn off your car, then the camera will come on automatic the next time you start your car,,,,,, you only have to manuall turn on camera if it is in the same "session" as you have turned it off manual too, a stop of power to the camera ( key off ) reset this, and the camera will turn on automatic next time you start the car.

Last edited:
this video demo CPL filter at work, here it is just sky reflecting in water.

I have one question on switching the SD card: I know it should be powered off. Do you just pull the USB cord to do that or is there a way to power off with the button?
You must stop the recording before removing the card otherwise the last file will be corrupt. There is a button for stopping the recording.

It is probably best to long press the power button (menu button) to shut it down before removing the card, and then again to restart it.

Back