Best 1080p+ 2CH cameras for parking mode...

jomanjee

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
I am seeking an advise on a good 2CH setup to start this project with ease and less effort since am a total newbie, latter on i will expand to a to cover entire car, (Front + Rear + 1 on each side)...

my criteria on a 2ch setup as follows:-

- 4k or 1080p @ 60fps
- no heating issues as we live in a hot climate
- Excellent parking mode
- excellent image quality both at day and especially night
- reliability & durability
- Most usable recording mode (time lapse, low fps, eco etc..)
- Automated Operation w/ minimum interference from driver

budget around 300$

Also what battery pack will allow me to run 4 cams (eventually 4ch setup as i said) and get minimum 20-24 hours operation ?... Do i need power preserving cams or is it solely up to the battery pack to provide enough power for all 4 cams ?...

thanks,

Last edited:
VIOFO A129Duo can meet with your requirement:
--1080P@60 for only front cam, both 1080P@30 for dual cam, both cam adopts Sony Starvis Sensor
--Use capacitor rather than battery, much safer in hot climate
--3 parking mode: auto event detection, time lapse, low bitrate
--Sony IMX291 sensor, excellent image quality in day and night
--compact design
--USD 169, if with hardwire kit, CPL, about USD200

You can refer to: https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a129-duo/
Hope it can help you.

VIOFO A129Duo can meet with your requirement:
--1080P@60 for only front cam, both 1080P@30 for dual cam, both cam adopts Sony Starvis Sensor
--Use capacitor rather than battery, much safer in hot climate
--3 parking mode: auto event detection, time lapse, low bitrate
--Sony IMX291 sensor, excellent image quality in day and night
--compact design
--USD 169, if with hardwire kit, CPL, about USD200

You can refer to: https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a129-duo/
Hope it can help you.

Thanks for your recommendation, but it says 30 fps only not 60 fps besides it does says this:-

1. Auto Event Detection (almost same as motion detection): When a moving objects is detected while parking, a video is recorded for 60 seconds. This recording mode is not pre-buffered so it is not ideal if you are hoping to capture the moment of impact.
  2. Time Lapse Recording at 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 5fps or 10fps. While parked, the camera will be always recording at the low fps but no audio is recorded.
  3. Low Bitrate Recording at approx 4Mbps will always record when parked and audio is recorded
but thanks definitely seems like an awesome cam for low light !...

Thanks for your recommendation, but it says 30 fps only not 60 fps besides it does says this:-

1. Auto Event Detection (almost same as motion detection): When a moving objects is detected while parking, a video is recorded for 60 seconds. This recording mode is not pre-buffered so it is not ideal if you are hoping to capture the moment of impact.
  2. Time Lapse Recording at 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 5fps or 10fps. While parked, the camera will be always recording at the low fps but no audio is recorded.
  3. Low Bitrate Recording at approx 4Mbps will always record when parked and audio is recorded
but thanks definitely seems like an awesome cam for low light !...
If you stick to your requirement then you won't get any more recommendations!

Maybe you should reconsider some of your requirements, for example, why do you need 60fps instead of 30fps? If the camera is for collecting evidence then 60fps is unlikely to be useful...

why do you need 60fps instead of 30fps? If the camera is for collecting evidence then 60fps is unlikely to be useful...

I think its pretty obvious, while you use your own camera to capture Motion by hand on 30p, this is not exactly ideal for fast moving objects (fast moving objects = cars) and I think somewhere around 50-60fps should be the Minimum that dash cam manufactures should consider, in order to call their products Dash Cams, Ive seen a Lot of Crappy low light and Average quality dash cam footage, some even claimed to be Excellent in low light while looking SUPER DARK, so the last thing i want ATM is to get something not reliable (not only in terms of video quality but also in terms of durability) that might let me down when i need it the most !... so thanks really but no thanks i will stick to my intuition parking my car where i think it is safe until i get my requirements and nothing less coz 30 FPS doesnt seem Enough while driving my car down the road, and an idiot crosses me by @ 160 kmph in Super Low Light Conditions !... :)

Thanks,

...coz 30 FPS doesnt seem Enough while driving my car down the road, and an idiot crosses me by @ 160 kmph in Super Low Light Conditions !... :)
"Super Low Light Conditions" has no connection with fps (frame rate), they are independent requirements. So if 30fps is sufficient in bright sunshine, it should also be sufficient at night.

If 60fps is a real requirement, you can still use the A129 recommended above, however you will need two of them instead of one A129 Duo (the Duo package comes with a rear slave camera and reduces the maximum frame rate from 60fps to 30fps).

The low light performance is better at 30fps than what you will get at 60fps
At his speed of 160 km/h, maybe not, but I doubt it will make much difference, especially if the closing speed is 160 * 2 = 320 km/h!

Be realistic, how much time will be spent at 160kph, neither are going to be outstanding at speed in the dark, when not at speed the 30fps is going to do better

With the sensor sizes we are currently using, there's a lot of motion blur at night at the faster shutter rates in order to get the brighter images we want. A trade-off I guess, but it does seem to balance fairly well at 30FPS for night. In the daytime 60FPS does have advantages. I too think that the closest we can get to what the OP wants will be the A129 Duo, especially if used with the modified firmware which is being developed here.

Phil

"Super Low Light Conditions" has no connection with fps (frame rate), they are independent requirements. So if 30fps is sufficient in bright sunshine, it should also be sufficient at night.

If 60fps is a real requirement, you can still use the A129 recommended above, however you will need two of them instead of one A129 Duo (the Duo package comes with a rear slave camera and reduces the maximum frame rate from 60fps to 30fps).

https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a129-duo/
Nothing says here it is 60 FPS, and on amazon it says 30 FPS, i tried to make it as clear as possible, but you obviously didnt see it in BOLD text: This recording mode is not pre-buffered so it is not ideal if you are hoping to capture the moment of impact. what is the point of using a dash cam that is LESS reliable ?... i think my criteria are pretty much Realistic and not too much to ask for, and my budget is adequate and will pay more than that if necessary, i just hate to throw my money on something and latter on i find out its less reliable than i thought... also i didnt say ill drive at 160 kmph thats dangerous and illegal in most countries, but in case someone drives by at high speed id like my cam to be more than prepared and capable of at least capturing his license plate and not show a blurry image instead !...

https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a129-duo/
Nothing says here it is 60 FPS, and on amazon it says 30 FPS, i tried to make it as clear as possible,
Checked the specification for the non-duo version: https://www.viofo.com/home/81-62-a1...l-hd-dash-camera.html#/25-gps_module-included

You are right, it doesn't mention 60 fps, however I know mine does, I sometimes use it as an action camera and want 60fps, but 60 fps is only available if used without the rear camera.

2 Single A129 are within your stated budget.
but you obviously didnt see it in BOLD text: This recording mode is not pre-buffered so it is not ideal if you are hoping to capture the moment of impact. what is the point of using a dash cam that is LESS reliable ?... i think my criteria are pretty much Realistic and not too much to ask for, and my budget is adequate and will pay more than that if necessary, i just hate to throw my money on something and latter on i find out its less reliable than i thought... also i didnt say ill drive at 160 kmph thats dangerous and illegal in most countries, but in case someone drives by at high speed id like my cam to be more than prepared and capable of at least capturing his license plate and not show a blurry image instead !...
I know it doesn't do pre-buffered, instead it has continuous recording, either in low framerate or low bitrate modes, which is far better because you aren't dependent on either unreliable g-sensors or unreliable motion detection, so your event is guaranteed to be recorded, only problem is finding it if the g-sensor didn't trigger and lock the file for you!

Back