Best action cam as a dash cam...

jchantw

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi all, I’ve been using a 4K action cam as a dash cam for a while, and encountered the problem of focus, where the action cam is focusing on the windscreen and the view outside is blurry.

I’ve placed the action cam elsewhere on the dashboard and get the same blurry problem.

I wonder if someone has gotten clear crisp images from a good action cam, appreciate the advice.. thanks in advance..

The lenses are fixed focus, if it's out of focus it needs adjusting, if it's only a problem when used in the car it will be heat related
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.. I used my Yi dash cam in the same spot on the dashboard and the captured images are clearer than the 4K action cam that I used ealier..

I've also moved the action cam closer to the windscreen, far away from it, moved left , right, mounted high up and down on the windscreen itself, but the results were satisfactory.....

Could it be the lenses of the dash cams are focused differently from the action cams?

If the dash cam can get clearer images than any action cam, then I may just get an inexpensive dash cam to use on my dashboard.....

Could it be the lenses of the dash cams are focused differently from the action cams?

If the dash cam can get clearer images than any action cam, then I may just get an inexpensive dash cam to use on my dashboard.....
it will typically be a different type of lens which impacts the results you will achieve, the method of focus is no different though

it will typically be a different type of lens which impacts the results you will achieve, the method of focus is no different though
Thanks, maybe I’ll get another cheap dash cam for my purposes..

Try changing the light adjustment. Some action cameras like GoPro and SJCam have an option to set it to Spot, Center, or Average. I think Spot may work best for actioncam as dashcam especially if you mount the camera inside the car like under the sunroof.

Back