Best bang for buck Dash Cam in 2020?

Looks decent, but also looks a bit low on bitrate, what bitrate have you got it set to? Might just be the low light levels.

The type of fuses (fuse taps) required depends on the vehicle, that is why they don't come as standard.

Unless it has changed, the bitrate was set to high - I'm wondering if the filter is overkill for the gloomy British weather.

Ah, I missed the fact it didn't come with a set. What's my best bet for finding the right type of fuse tap? It's for a 2014 Ford Fiesta. Thanks for the help btw!

I'm wondering if the filter is overkill for the gloomy British weather.
It will affect overall exposure, etc. but given the primary purpose of the CPL is to reduce reflections it's something you'll have to decide as to which is more important to you.

Can't help with your electrical connection question.

What's my best bet for finding the right type of fuse tap? It's for a 2014 Ford Fiesta.
There are plenty on ebay, but first you need to work out which type your car has.

750px-Electrical_fuses%2C_blade_type.svg.png

Might find some help HERE

Most car's fuses and fusebox layouts are listed on this site (with thanks to @jokiin for bringing this info to DCT)

Phil

Might find some help HERE

Most car's fuses and fusebox layouts are listed on this site (with thanks to @jokiin for bringing this info to DCT)

Phil

Thanks for the link, I've looked through and found what seems to be a match for my car but I'm non-the-wiser on the fuse type unless I'm missing something?

It is handy to know what the fuses are for though.

A quick look on Google says Micro2 fuses- pull on of yours and check it against the pic's Nigel posted.

Phil

A quick look on Google says Micro2 fuses- pull on of yours and check it against the pic's Nigel posted.

Phil

Thanks, I struggled to find any concrete info - I'll take a look after work. Assuming that's the right type, will this do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07J1J9PXF
Do I need anything else? Is there something needed to connect the hard wire kit wiring to the fuse taps on the blue end?

Is there something needed to connect the hard wire kit wiring to the fuse taps on the blue end?
The blue bit is a crimp connector, you put the HWK cable into it and then squash it flat with a crimp tool, or if you don't have one then a hammer, or pliers if you are strong. Alternatively you can cut the blue bit off and solder the wires together with some heat shrink insulation.

Well, I took my time getting round to it but I'm finally all set up!

I ended up using this Wire Tap set which made a nice slot-in connection with the Viofo 3-wire hardwire kit. In my 2014 Ford Fiesta I've got the live wire plugged into the (previously empty) Fuse slot 35 which is for Keyless entry - with a 5A fuse in the tap for the camera and a 20A fuse in the original slot position (both from the set I bought conveniently).

Wiring is hidden up in the headliner and then tucked down the edge of the A-pillar before coming through to the fuse box behind the glovebox, it's easy to forget the camera is even there. The ground is slotted into a bolt nearby. This video was pretty invaluable for the whole process, was just a bit fiddly finding the right tools (and weather) to do the job. Really happy with the whole thing now (y)

Thank you everyone for your advice and help here, it's appreciated!

Last edited:
Back