Best Cam for Direct sun

Deelite

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the unfortunate daily driving of heading East in the morning and West at sunset , so I get the sun STRAIGHT into my view each way. OF course, my dash cam will "white out" or "orange out" because the sunlight is hitting directly into the camera.

What is the best camera to avoid this? I want to be able to capture at any time.

Anything with or can be fitted with a CPL .

Where can I pick up one? what camera has that (if i have to buy a new one).

some cameras come with them, some have it as an option, work out what camera you want to buy first, a filter is not a magic fix, you still need to decide on a camera first

That's why Im asking for suggestions. What camera would work best for this? I have the sun in my eyes in both directions, so looking for a camera that will help with it.

I don't think any cam outpaces all the others here- this is a worst-case scenario for all cams. Begin with a good cam in a form-factor you like that has adjustable exposure values (which most do). Then see if a CPL is offered (again most good cams have this at least as an option). If you are in a hot climate get a supoer-cpacitior powered cam, not a battery model. Once installed play with the EV settings till you get the best results ;)

More critical than the cam will be your windshield- it needs to be extra-clean and free of pitting or scratches which act like tiny prisms and scatter light everywhere, adding to the tendency for vids to 'wash out' from the intense light. I get what I feel are decent results from the WR-1 and Mobius through my crappy windshields. These are low-to-mid priced cams, nothing special save that the Mobius has smaller EV adjustment steps than any other cam :)

Maybe @dash riposki can offer some thoughts here- I'm sure he's driven his truck into the direct sun more than I have. Plus he's tried more cams than me too :cool:

Phil

Back