Best camera for night?

Randy Candy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to record the inside of my car (myself) but all these dash cams once turned around you cant see anything! I see videos (not to poke fun or anything) like the uber driver getting attack and wonder what kind of dashcam did he use? Because in my findings i cant find anything

That uber driver attack was recorded by a passenger with a cell phone.

That uber driver attack was recorded by a passenger with a cell phone.
Sorry we must be talking about different incidences

But i am now thinking torward FIREFLY 6S

LOL, you're comparing a video made with a fully illuminated background from an extremely well lit street plus an internal car light when doors are open and you want the same quality of video when you're driving in the dark, yeah....

Most dashcams except dirt cheap should do the job.
Just watch other in-cab clips that mention dashcam name and then search here on where they stand.

Interior recording may have legal ramifications, and audio recording may be a separate issue from video recording, so check your local laws where your car is being used at. Also having an operating aftermarket video screen within view of the driver may be illegal too (GPS's are usually specifically excepted). Taxis (and probably UBER drivers too) are rapidly becoming interior cam users and use plainly visible cams so the passengers have no doubt that they are being recorded- it can act as a deterrent. In dark rural environments the cam won't capture much unless you're using one that allows a lot of adjustment to ambient lighting conditions. But then if a car comes up behind you those conditions change so all you can do is seek a compromise setting. In an urban environment there will be more light, but still night recording is not the bailiwick of dashcams or action cams; none perform really well with that. So any of the good cams will work here but check the night vid performance on the forums here to get one you can live with.

Phil

Garmin, it's written on the video
Good advertising for Garmin dashcams to enter taxi, bus and other vehicle markets.
"Attack" was intentional or not, we never know truth ? In our world of marketing everything is possible.

I picked up a DOD LS360W for $149 off of overstock. I thought it was too good to be true as its $229 on DOD's site. It arrived & it's legit. They since raised their $173. The day after I placed my order on overstock Walmart dropped their price from $199 to $149 as well. Walmart's price is currently $152 which is a great bargain for the quality. It's an excellent dash cam with excellent night performance. Here's their stats from DOD's site at the end of my post. I will say one thing. I was having a hard time finding a micro sdhc card in 64gb. I went with a 32gb as all of the 64gb cards in my local stores are micro sdxc. Also I'll attach a screenshot of the DOD LS 360W from a dark freeway on ramp in my 85 El Camino with just standard off the shelf 80's halogen lights. image.jpg

http://dod-tech.us/product/dod-ls360w/

I picked up a DOD LS360W for $149 off of overstock. I thought it was too good to be true as its $229 on DOD's site. It arrived & it's legit. They since raised their $173. The day after I placed my order on overstock Walmart dropped their price from $199 to $149 as well. Walmart's price is currently $152 which is a great bargain for the quality. It's an excellent dash cam with excellent night performance. Here's their stats from DOD's site at the end of my post. I will say one thing. I was having a hard time finding a micro sdhc card in 64gb. I went with a 32gb as all of the 64gb cards in my local stores are micro sdxc. Also I'll attach a screenshot of the DOD LS 360W from a dark freeway on ramp in my 85 El Camino with just standard off the shelf 80's halogen lights. View attachment 18531

http://dod-tech.us/product/dod-ls360w/
All cards above 32gb are sdxc so 64gb will work fine if camera works with 64gb. May still need to format eXfat.
There is no 64gb sdhc.
HC is for high capacity.
After 32gb, they use XC=extended capacity.

You got confused. Buy 64gb sdxc and you'll have two cards for good measure.

I will have to buy one of their recommended cards. I tried a Samsung Evo & a sandisk extreme 64gb & neither worked.

I will have to buy one of their recommended cards. I tried a Samsung Evo & a sandisk extreme 64gb & neither worked.
Did you tried to firmat 64Gb from exFat to Fat32 via 3rd patry tools and then use in Dod ?

Have not. Thinking about going to Fry's as they have a ton of different cards to choose from.

Have not. Thinking about going to Fry's as they have a ton of different cards to choose from.

You can download "Fat32 formatter tool" from @jokiin Signature and format your 64Gb cards from exFat to Fat32, then try on Dod.

Cool thanks!

I meant post this camera in this thread. I don't know anyone personally that uses this dual lens dash cam. I wish there was a night performance test in this video.

Dave

the way the white balance is jumping around during the day I wouldn't expect great things at night

I'm not very impressed either. I would imangine to get a decent & useable interior view at night the dash cam would need a large CMOS sensor, a lens with big aperture or some theatre lighting

Dave

Back