Best/cheapest cams with parking mode?

Xybone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Damn, haven't been on these forums in years! A lot has changed from the Russian 240p green text timestamp dashcams to the 1260p, GPS enabled, discreet cams I've been seeing now lol.

But I just wanted to know which are currently the best and cheapest parking mode cams? When I left, the Koreans had this portion of the market locked down. Still the case or have the Chinese caught up? Got some crazy neighbors making threats over parking spaces (parking in SF is no joke lol) and I want to make sure they're not gonna do anything. And if they do, I can report them and post it to YouTube for that ad money to pay for repairs - a double whammy :p.

Thanks y'all.

the Koreans are still focused on the parking mode market, it generally only works out when using cameras with lower bitrate so that they can handle the heat better, that doesn't make for great results when on the move though

Damn, haven't been on these forums in years! A lot has changed from the Russian 240p green text timestamp dashcams to the 1260p, GPS enabled, discreet cams I've been seeing now lol.

But I just wanted to know which are currently the best and cheapest parking mode cams? When I left, the Koreans had this portion of the market locked down. Still the case or have the Chinese caught up? Got some crazy neighbors making threats over parking spaces (parking in SF is no joke lol) and I want to make sure they're not gonna do anything. And if they do, I can report them and post it to YouTube for that ad money to pay for repairs - a double whammy :p.

Thanks y'all.
A CCTV will done your job well

Car security when parked is best handled by cams watching the car from the outside. If that's not possible then 'parking mode' can be of use as long as the cams cover enough field of view, aren't seen and avoided (or taken) by the bad guys, and show enough details to nail them if they do something evil. You'll need enough ambient light for them to do that which will also have to come from the outside. And every dashcam is a comprise, but at least here you have selected what is most important to you so you'll not have more than a few cams to sort through.

My main overnight parking security needs are being handled by a Mobius running 24/7 since the most likely approach is from one direction only. Most car batteries can handle this kind of draw without problems if they're driven daily, but it's pushing car battery life to go any further. In favor of my method is that I'm not depending on something to start the cam recording so there can't be a failed event, only a failed cam, preventing me from seeing what I need to. And this cam is one of only a few that can handle such work without failure. It may or may not be something worth your consideration ;)

With neighbors like yours, your having a good lawyer will also be useful to add to their distress if and when their stupidity catches up to them :p

Phil

Yeah, an external cam would seem best, particularly if you have a view of the parking area from your home window. I use an old phone with an app called Manything and I can't tell you how great it is. A much cheaper, and in some ways, better option than Nest/Dropcam, Canary, Arlo etc.

the Koreans are still focused on the parking mode market, it generally only works out when using cameras with lower bitrate so that they can handle the heat better, that doesn't make for great results when on the move though

Thinkware F50 will probably fit that description. I have it. $100 with a built in voltage cut-off device. Video quality is not very good though. Capacitors only rated to 60°C not 70°C on their more expensive cameras. Most energy efficient camera I've tested 0.10A @ 12.4V vs 0.15A on the next most efficient camera.

Last edited:
+1 for Thinkware. I have an X330 (Amazon or Sams Club). In parking mode it has both shock and movement sensors so fires itself up for 1 minute if it feels/sees anything around the vehicle. The sensitivity for shock can be set by you. It also has a timer you can set up to 48 hours for parking mode (minimum is 6 hours) and built in battery voltage sensor that you can also set. If battery power falls to specific levels the camera will turn off. I'm very happy with the way this camera can be customized and, while the picture may not be the absolute best, it's good enough to read license plates (zoom). It uses capacitors instead of batteries so heat/cold isn't as large a factor. Under $100 including GPS which is a separate plug-in module.

Perhaps a chat with the neighbor in the front house and an offer to put up a wifi cam or two with them having access to it's channel would work. Just say you found a deal om the cam(s) and thought it would be kind of a neat idea to be able to see the street and traffic and weather and such, and that they can keep the cam(s) if you move. Free security and fun for them too ;) Or another neighbor's house on the street if they say no. Or a 'black bag' job if you can pull that off putting a battery-powered cam on a tree, signpost or phone pole discreetly :rolleyes:

Don't write off possibilities until you are absolutely certain that they're not possible, and always seek possible alternatives. Persistence pays!

Phil

Thanks y'all.

I live just south of you and I, too have a neighbor that has made it a struggle to get along with. first off the bat, I do have a front and rear camera that does parking mode duty on my daily but you know that this bay area fog will be an issue. the cameras can't look through a windshield full of condensation.

You only need power supply for this camera or even dont need to.
I remmeber waith techmoan review a kind of camera dont need battery and only record when has something move. The battery can last few months before empty.
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2016/8/26/netgear-arlo-wireless-battery-powered-camera-system.html

I have had the arlo system for almost a year now. I *mostly* love it. it's great how easy it is to mount and the mobile app is designed very well. and netgear does not charge you a subscription fee unless you want more that 7 days of cloud storage. I'm going to compare it to my previous hardwired security DVR and it is lacking some key features that I need. the arlo eats up batteries if you have it recording at the highest quality, it senses motion via PIR so it will not "see" things beyond 25-30 feet in front of it and it does not have pre-buffered recording. none of those issues were present with my old hard-wired system and I may go back to something like it in the future now that the mobile apps are being developed much neater.

Thanks y'all.

One of the most common questions we get asked is "What is the best parking mode camera?" There is no real easy answer to this question, as many people are not aware of what is required for parking mode and the potential drawbacks to using it. Before I get too in depth, lets cover what Parking mode is, Parking mode (also referred to as motion detection on some units) is a feature on certain dash cams that will keep the dash cam in a state of hibernation while the vehicle is parked, and depending on the model of camera will start recording when motion is detected in front of the lens or a shock is detected. In theory, this sounds like a great feature, and it is, but it does come with a number of drawbacks which you will need to weigh up before going ahead.

the new time-lapse feature takes parking mode a step further, condensing the entire parking duration into shorter recordings with time lapse, the dash cam can sustain a longer operational period while reducing video file size, allowing a longer coverage in parking surveillance mode.

An M02 dash cam with a 16GB microSD card–55 minutes recording front and rear in Extreme mode–could run for over 27 hours in Time Lapse Parking Mode before starting to loop.Pretty cool, right?

Back