Best compatible 128GB memory card

Tajee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been reading this forum and many other sites on what to use with my BlackVue DR650s-2CH-IR.
I purchased (2) SanDisk Ultra 128GB micro SDXC cards and have been having restarting issues with both cards after 4-5 days of use. I have no issues then all of a sudden around that 5th day the camera is restarting every 10 min. It looks like from what i've read the camera likes the slower cards the faster cards can have issues.
When I think i've chosen the correct card and then I read a new article and that says otherwise!!!

What is everyone using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B010Q57S62

The most compatible card is the Pittasoft card as mentioned many times, we have around 300 being used here with no issues at all. Yes we see a lot of restarting when people try and save money by purchasing 3rd party cards, but then it costs them more at the end.

Hi Tajee,

The SD card you linked is not working properly with the DR650S-2CH.
I had the same SD card, 128Gb Ultra, and the dashcam was rebooting randomly.
It's because of its low write speed.

I swapped for a faster 128Gb MicroSDXC Sandisk Extreme PLUS and now it's working perfectly fine for a week now.

It's more expensive but write speed is about twice faster than the ultra

I've had a Lexar 633x in mine since I purchased it, never had an issue with it.

Hi Tajee,

The SD card you linked is not working properly with the DR650S-2CH.
I had the same SD card, 128Gb Ultra, and the dashcam was rebooting randomly.
It's because of its low write speed.

I swapped for a faster 128Gb MicroSDXC Sandisk Extreme PLUS and now it's working perfectly fine for a week now.

It's more expensive but write speed is about twice faster than the ultra

I purchased the Lexar 633x 128GB and have had it installed for the last 8 day without any issues.

3 week update on the Lexar 633x 128GB card. I have had zero issues and the camera hasn't restarted once. Purchased a 2nd backup card and have had installed for 8 days with zero issues also. The BlackVue has been recording many days of 10-12hrs of driving, no issues. Great card at a great price.

Attachments

• 71d4Hej-g6L._SL1500_.jpg
    71d4Hej-g6L._SL1500_.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 33
The most compatible card is the Pittasoft card as mentioned many times, we have around 300 being used here with no issues at all. Yes we see a lot of restarting when people try and save money by purchasing 3rd party cards, but then it costs them more at the end.

I have a question here. My question does not reflects me promoting 3rd party SD Card. I own 4 BlackVue Dash Cam and ever since I have no problem using Transcend 400x Sd card ( 2 of my cam) until recent firmware update. Worst, I have lost all the recording (SD Card indicate is full but record folder is empty). According to my local retailer in Philippines, their answer same as yours "use Pittasoft Stock Card". The cams using BlackVue SD Card remains flawless.
Question: Is there anywhere Pittasoft have input some codes that can trace out if the SD Card used is BlackVue or 3rd party? If there is, does this mean all the recent upgraded firmware have this "codes" (sorry not familiar with the terms) therefore, frequent restarting happens. Just a wild guess.

Since I am using all BlackVue SD Card, and now I am promoting it to ask BlackVue User it is better to use BlackVue SD Card.

Don't know what you're talking about - a simple search finds many articles stating SanDisks are terrible in DashCams, and that Lexars are the best.
And Lexars have a 5 year warranty.

Having said that, I've had a Lexar 300x 64GB in my Blackvue DR650GW-2CH for a year with no issues (with the card).
But when I replaced the dashcam with a Blackvue DR650S-2CH and used the same card (even with reformatted in PC and in Blackvue and updated Blackvue firmware) it straight away had the rebooting issue every 1-2 hours.
I bought a new Lexar 633x 128GB and have had no issues since.

So it would seem that despite seeming to record at the same resolution, etc, the "S" must put more demands on the card then the "GW".

I have just started a RMA process, but otherwise could use it in another device such as phone, GoPro, or another DashCam for the second car (DR430 / DR450) that puts less pressure on the SD card.

Summary:
MANY posts saying the SanDisk (even the Ultra or Extreme) can not handle high-end dashcams;
MANY posts saying the Lexar 633x have had no issues to date in the top dashcams.

Well I have had a Sandisk 128Gb Ultra UHS SDXC class 10 in my DR500GW for over a year and apart from giving it an occasional format have had no trouble with it.

Have also used Samsung 64Gb and smaller Sandisk cards without problems in the 500,a 350,a 400 and now a new 450.

As Blackvue make cameras and not SD cards they must buy them and rebrand them, So who is the supplier of their cards.

I don't think anyone is implying all Sandisks give problems. But that they are more prone to.
I used SandDisk exclusively for everything else, especially digital cameras. But they statistically do not have a good track record with DashCams.
Try a 650S-2CH for a month and see how it goes?

"So who is the supplier of their cards."
I would really like to know also.

I don't think anyone is implying all Sandisks give problems. But that they are more prone to.
I used SandDisk exclusively for everything else, especially digital cameras. But they statistically do not have a good track record with DashCams.
Try a 650S-2CH for a month and see how it goes?

Sandisk make great quality cards, the controller chipset they use in most of their models is not ideal for this application though and a lot of their models are best avoided for dashcam use

"So who is the supplier of their cards."
I would really like to know also.

even if you did know who made their cards there's no guarantee that the retail version cards of the same brand would be the same as the ones that are made for them

Well I bought this yesterday so it had better be good according to the specs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00P3NMVVU

One of our dealers sold about 100 of these cards to their customers using the DR650-2CH, and they had issues with a few of them (20 or so). Once they started using the Pittasoft 128gb cards the issues went away.

We are just sharing our experiences. Cheers.

Don't know what you're talking about - a simple search finds many articles stating SanDisks are terrible in DashCams, and that Lexars are the best.
And Lexars have a 5 year warranty.

Having said that, I've had a Lexar 300x 64GB in my Blackvue DR650GW-2CH for a year with no issues (with the card).
But when I replaced the dashcam with a Blackvue DR650S-2CH and used the same card (even with reformatted in PC and in Blackvue and updated Blackvue firmware) it straight away had the rebooting issue every 1-2 hours.
I bought a new Lexar 633x 128GB and have had no issues since.

So it would seem that despite seeming to record at the same resolution, etc, the "S" must put more demands on the card then the "GW".

I have just started a RMA process, but otherwise could use it in another device such as phone, GoPro, or another DashCam for the second car (DR430 / DR450) that puts less pressure on the SD card.

Summary:
MANY posts saying the SanDisk (even the Ultra or Extreme) can not handle high-end dashcams;
MANY posts saying the Lexar 633x have had no issues to date in the top dashcams.

Thanks for confirming this. I just got my DR650S-2CH last week and tried to use it with a Lexar 300X and experienced the reboots and also a "check SD card" error multiple times (I have another post about it). I had my eyes on the 633X 128GB so I appreciate you sharing your experience with it. On a major online retailer site it is half the price of the 64GB Blackvue branded card. I'm sort of new to this site so this is one of the first such posts I found that talk about the 633X being a good choice. I also found that the 633X actually has a lifetime warranty vs 1 year warranty of a Blackvue card.

Somehow it looks like my DR650S-1CH and similar cams from Blackvue, are pretty sensitive to what cards You insert.
Not too fast, not too slow, not this and not that.

After reading about good & bad experiences with various 128GB cards, I was focused on the Lexar 633x.
Tried to order a Lexar 633x 128GB, but it was out of stock and finally the order was cancelled.

New plan...

Target:
UHS-1
Class 10
90-100MB/S

I put my eyes on this Sony 128GB XAVC-S (SR G1UY3A) card, as it seemed to have about the same specs as the Lexar 633x.

The Sony card matches the specs going with the Lexar 633x, except for the small diff. on the announced speed 90 vs. 95 MB/S.

After 2 weeks driving about 7.000km, I've had absolutely no problems at all.

Sony128gb.png

I got my Lexar 633x 128GB card but I couldn't format it using my DR650S. It kept trying to initialize over and over. I used SD Formatter and then copied the contents of my 64GB 300x Lexar that was giving me problems to it and inserted it back into the dash cam, bypassing the "initializing SD card" message. It has worked fine for 5 days straight. With parking mode off and connected to my PMP (for testing) it has gotten overwritten twice. No issues. I'm happy with it.

I'm glad the Sony one worked fine for you.

I got my Lexar 633x 128GB card but I couldn't format it using my DR650S. It kept trying to initialize over and over. I used SD Formatter and then copied the contents of my 64GB 300x Lexar that was giving me problems to it and inserted it back into the dash cam, bypassing the "initializing SD card" message. It has worked fine for 5 days straight. With parking mode off and connected to my PMP (for testing) it has gotten overwritten twice. No issues. I'm happy with it.

I'm glad the Sony one worked fine for you.

Did you modify your PMP You were going to post the result.

My Sandisk EVO 128gb card has done 500km without problems so far

It's always good to hear testimonials about different cards.

Yeah I still plan on wiring one of my dashboard button to the PMP. The stock button doesn't feel very durable to me. But I haven't gotten around to doing that project. But trust me, every time I see my button I remember. It's just not a huge priority right now.

Last edited:
Where can a legit 128gb 633x be purchased? It seems like every brick and mortar/reputable store is out of stock or no longer selling them.

Where can a legit 128gb 633x be purchased? It seems like every brick and mortar/reputable store is out of stock or no longer selling them.

flash memory prices are up at the moment due to memory shortages so they're possibly not ordering as a stock item due to price fluctuations/lack of supply

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DR650S 11
D DR650S 8
Back