Best continuous recording android app?

jessejazza

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[ using Android Samsung J5 ].

I am new to dash cams and would be grateful for advice. As a recovery driver I want to use a smartphone app as I need to use the phone as a truck satnav, accident scene photos and maybe scene videos.

So far I have looked at Autoboy, CamOnRoad, CaroO, DailyRoads and Smart Dash Cam. Best apps available from the reviews I have read.

So far what I can deduce is that NONE do continuous recording and SAVE on pressing a certain icon - the last 10 mins (or some similar interval). That is what I was hoping for - I tried a combined Satnav with dashcam called free Offline Maps which was perfect for my uses until I found that the power usage was rather high for my charger (I can use my garmin as a satnav if the combined apps are too power hungry).

Each of the above apps only do continuous recording in the sense of 10 min intervals (or chosen interval) and save immediately to SDcard. Thus in my 11 hour shift I end up with 66 files each day. Admittedly one app overwrites these if I don't choose to protect certain ones for uploading to PC. Also as I have read there can be a 5 sec gap between videos when one is closed and another opened.

Have I misunderstood the function of these smartphone apps - it seems to me they are not going to give me what I was hoping for. I just want something like the Offline Maps' offered - saving the last 10 mins of driving on pressing a SAVE button.

Much appreciate some advice.

Back