Best dash cam for under $50

NickZ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I'm looking to get to a dash cam for my nearly week long road trip. I want to get a dash cam, so I can make a time lapse of the drive, and I can also use it for other trips. I'm really trying to keep this under $50, or even cheaper, if that is possible. This will be using in hot weather, so it would need to withstand that. I would also like to know what kind of storage I would need for this, if I'm going to keep all of the footage. How much storage do dash cams use per hour, on average quality? I also would like it to be power with car charger. I'm not looking for top-of-the line, just something worth the money.

Thank you in advance! I will reply as soon as I can.
Also, I hope this is in the right section.
biggrin.gif

your old phone installing dashcam app ;) need to buy a holder too.

your old phone installing dashcam app ;) need to buy a holder too.
Would you be able to recommend an app for Android, and a mount? Also, how much storage do you think I would need?
Thanks!

Thanks for your recommendation. Where is the best place to mount a dashcam, besides the windshield, the dash? XD
I was looking up laws, and I found that the states I'm going through don't allow windshield mounted dashcams.
Thanks

This one would go on the windscreen, you could mount it on the dotted area behind the rearview mirror (if your car's windscreen has one). The Mobius comes to mind if you want to mount one on the dash but it costs more and has no screen. Plus the additional cost of the mount that goes on the dashboard.

A 64GB card should be good for a little over 8 hours of normal recording before the oldest clip gets overwritten. G1W/G1W-S users would be in a better position to comment on the time-lapse recording capacity.

If I decide to purchase an actual camera, would this be worth it?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01C89GCHU

You get higher resolution with the Yi, will work a lot better if you're planning to drive mostly during daylight hours. A lot of users have reported heat related focus shifts on the Yi so it's going to be a gamble of sorts. If you end up going with the Yi, do check the warranty terms and buy from a seller that's based locally.

The Sony sensor on the G1W-S will outdo the Yi in low-light.

Ok, so I'll just have to choose between the Yi and the G1W-S. Also, what does the GPS built-in do? Since I will be buying the dashcam on Amazon, the Yi is popping out to me, because it is a top seller. The link that you provided me for the G1W-S seems a little sketchy, but it could be safe. Sorry, I just like the ones with the most reviews. ;)

My first and only dashcam for now is Yi and I am satisfied with it so far(4 months of using),dont know about other dashcams,no gps,no parking mode.If you are interested in how it looks when you record with Yi,you can watch here day and nightime 1080P 30fps mostlyhttps://youtu.be/dUi6xy7lGnI
I think you can find even for less money on Yitechnology website.

Ok, so I'll just have to choose between the Yi and the G1W-S. Since I will be buying the dashcam on Amazon, the Yi is popping out to me, because it is a top seller. The link that you provided me for the G1W-S seems a little sketchy, but it could be safe. Sorry, I just like the ones with the most reviews. ;)

Far from sketchy! The seller (OCD Tronic) is a member here and as per my observation he provides exemplary support.

Last edited:
Sorry for thinking it was sketchy. Would you happen to know if either could do a time-lapse?
Also, what do GPS functions for dash cams do, say the street that you are currently on? And, what happen when I turn the car off, will the camera shut off? I'm new to these things XD.

If it not urgent to you to buy a dashcam,you should search,explore,here on this forum,read,watch some reviews,dashcam videos etc.Then decide which one you gonna buy,dont hurry.I think the best customer suport have Viofo and Street Guardian and they will give you answer and help you in short time.Take your time and choose wisely.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

For your pressing need and lack of knowledge (not to be intended as a negative. We have all been there as newbies) I would second the suggestion of using an old phone now. Take your time, read through this forum and make an informed choice later. You will not regret it and will not waste hard earned money.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the help. Yes, I do understand that I'm a noob, and I'm sort of inpatient. ;) I just need to have a dash cam in 2 weeks.

I guess I will just use a phone dash mount, and get enough storage for 8hr of video. (64gb?)

Most likely, I will decide between the two cams we were discussing.

If I have any more questions, I'll ask themon this fourm.

Thank you all!:)

mobile phones will generally struggle to record for hours on end, better off to make a decision and get yourself a camera sooner rather than later

You should look wider and consider other cams too,maybe a little expensive ones,because I guess,you are not going to buy one dashcam every month or two.When you buy one,I hope it will serve you at least 2-3 years,its not something you gonna buy every day/week,month.Expensive ones,means more quality ones,depends of your needs,off course.

mobile phones will generally struggle to record for hours on end, better off to make a decision and get yourself a camera sooner rather than later

Yes, I'm going to have to decide. I don't need anything amazing, just good enough. I just want my money's worth. To be honest, price is a major factor for me. I just need a decent camera, for a decent price.

Back