Best Dash Cam front and rear for Street Racing capture

-snoopi-

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, as the title states, does anyone know what would be the best dash cam I can buy for the purpose of capturing spirited driving sessions in my car, either street racing in mexico, or roll racing and drag racing at the tracks etc.

I would like to capture front and back so I can later make it into a video for youtube etc.

I have tried action cams like GoPro, but honestly I am so annoyed with them because they drain battery very quickly, they lose connection to my smart remote all the time, and constantly freeze glitch mid recording etc. I have tried mutliple GoPros and they are just bad in my experience, and I am not bothering with them anymore. So that's why I am looking at dash cams to capture my fun drives with the mates, or if there is any other better alternative that somebody can suggest? Thanks!

For spirited driving I would recommend a wedge-style camera that is mounted directly onto the glass, rather than anything using a suction cup or ball joint, to minimise the effect of vibrations etc.

Dashcams are typically setup to record evidence rather than cinematic footage, so you will find the video usually has higher contrast and sharpness than you would get from a GoPro or your phone, for example.

Dashcams generally have a narrower angle of view (approx 130 degrees horizontal) compared to the wide angle view on a GoPro.

You might consider something like a Viofo A129 Pro. It records decent quality 4K on the front camera, and lower resolution 1080p on the rear camera.

If you want the same quality front & back, it may be worth getting a pair of single channel cameras.

If you want something more cinematic, the GitUp F1 or Mobius Maxi 4K are small matchbox-style 4K cameras that record high-bitrate video comparable to a GoPro, but will run off a continuous USB power supply. You will need to sort out your own mount though (I had a simple wedge 3d-printed for my car). There may be other box cameras to consider, the ones used on racing drones etc.

Back