Best Dashcam for a Citroen C4 Picasso 2018

Samdash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate advice on choosing a dashcam for a 2018 Citroen c4 Picasso. I favour a Nextbase 312 GW but I wonder if something smaller and more discrete would be better given that the dashcam would need to be positioned on a very large windscreen along side the rear-view mirror assembly. Also any ideas on how best to route the wire down to the dashcam would be appreciated.

How discreet are you willing to go? Have you had a look at whether you can remove the plastic cover/trim behind your rear view mirror?

There is a chance you can fit a Mobius Maxi inside the cover, and only have the lens stick out. However, that can be quite a project to do properly and access to the buttons & SD card will be limited.

Otherwise, a wedge-shaped dashcam like the Viofo A119 V2 might be your next best option. I would mount it just beneath the sun-strip at the top of your windscreen, if you have one.

As far as cabling goes, the usual method is to run it into the headliner at the top of the windscreen (push it slightly in), across to the passenger side and then down along the A-pillar. Ideally, you should remove the A-pillar trim, make note of the airbags (if any) and run the cable parallel with the car's own cable harness down into the fuse box behind the glovebox. There are many ways to get power from the fuse-box from there.

If you are not comfortable removing trim, then you might be able to get away with running the cable down the weather strip, but it will be visible in multiple places.

Found a forum thread of a guy who put a Mobius in their C4 Picasso and has decent pictures to show placement and cabling. However, I have no idea if their model year is representative of the one you have:

http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?212740.post

Thank you tempviewer12 for you interesting reply and the helpful link to the Mobius video. After much consideration I have at last made a decisions and ordered a Thinkware F70 with GPS, to be professionally fitted. I hope I have made the right decision based on its price, its small , its reasonable performance and the advice I got from avr.mobiles.co.uk who say it can be fitted discretely near the top of the windscreen with just 6" of wire on show. I understand it has no wifi, no screen and is a bit of a bugger to set up but the fitter will have to deal with the setting up not me. Once its set up I hope I will never have to view the footage. Fingers crossed.

Once its set up I hope I will never have to view the footage. Fingers crossed.
After it is set up it will be worthwhile viewing some of the footage:
- To be sure it's recording properly (camera aimed where you want it, starting up every time & recording the last file when you turn off the engine)
- To know how to copy files to your phone / computer should you actually need them in an accident

Then you should inspect the videos periodically to ensure everything it still working OK. An occasional card reformat can be helpful too.

Back