Best dashcam for a roadtrip (geocoded timelapse) ?

webvan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've done a few roadtrips in the US and while I've got nice pics to look at I'm a bit frustrated not to have timelapse videos of the road...I'd possibly look at with fond memories ;-) Anyway I have a new one coming up this summer so I'm trying to figure out what the best option would be to record it.

The Garmin Dashcam 45/55/65 seemed ideally suited for that with their built-in GPS and Travelapse mode that records in the background while still recording video loops. I've found a big problem though : there is no GPS track associated with the Travelapse, or any GPS log on the device, only "embedded" GPS data in the video files that can only be extracted file by file (1' videos) using the antiquated "Garmin Dash Cam Player". THe only option is to manually save the 60 GPS files per hour required to get everything imported and fixed in Registrator Viewer without using the Travelapse mode. Another problem might be heating up in the West...oh and the videos are rather "wobbly", possibly due to the unusual magnet based mounting solution. Looks like a dead end to have geocoded Travelapses.

Another option would be to get a dashcam with GPS that can take 64Gb cards and then import the lot in Registrator Viewer and create a timelapse there. I'd spotted the Toguard but it seems limited to 32Gb cards, so the Viodo A119S maybe, there must be others out there.

Or...just use my old Mobius action cam's built-in video timelapse feature...but even with a GPS log I'd have to record separately I'm not sure how that could be "meshed" together in RV as the time references would be off I assume.

Thanks for any suggestions !

You can do it, but personally i dont feel like dashcams are the ideal road trip cameras.

We have a member that do awesome trip videos, but he use a camcorder to "zoom" past the window trim and dashbord to just have a clean shot out the window.
https://www.youtube.com/user/blessedhomosapiens'

I find recording 1080/60 and then speed up 1 hour to last 10 minutes work good.
Recorded with SJ6 legend using narrow FOV
you also want a camera that you can put filters on and if possible a dashmat to eliminate dashbord reflections in the windscreen.

Thanks for your reply and links. Nice video you made here 1/6th might get a bit long for a roadtrip though ;-) The videos of the West are great and really give a sense of being there, the comments are useful and the roadsigns are a nice touch. Still it's not your own personal trip !

You're right about filters and dashmats but I'd probably be looking at 1/16th or something like that so quality wouldn't be so much of an issue.

The Toguard CE20 (or CE30) with GPS looks like a good candidate, except that it can't take cards larger than 32Gb apparently (maybe just an SDXC limitation so a 64Gb SDHC card might work...) that would be needed for a long day on the road.

Theory = Standard, anyway these cards exist, don't ask me why. I'll probably get one of these Toeguards to see if they take one of these cards.

I see...anyway that's not really helping with the topic at hand, anyone found an optimized roadtrip solution ? Thanks !

ok so by formatting my SDXC 64gb card to FAT32 with a special utility (www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe) I was able to get the Toguard CE20 to recognize and use it with an expected recording time of about 11 hours, which should be more than enough for a full day of driving !

Then the files can be imported to Registrator Viewer, merged, the GPS data extracted to .gpx and then decimated 16x or imported to Dashware to add some gauges.

I wish there was an app like the old Contour App that could produce a split screen video showing the picture and a map. Anyone know of a way to do that ? Thanks !

Back