Best dashcam for rear view tinted windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so I am getting a new car that has a tinted rear window, it is tinted to uk regulations.

And so since an incident this week I need a rear camera, I'm not bothered about price, I just high video quality to get number plates and maybe people's faces driving the car behind.

So..
What are the best rear view cameras?
Which cameras can see through tinted glass.
And finally how does the möbius perform on tinted glass?

The Mobius has advanced settings where you can change contrast, brightness etc. I imagine having that ability will make it quite simple to get a picture you'd be happy with. If you want to see faces the standard lens keeps things to size, where the c2 lens gives you a bit wider view, but makes things appear farther away.

What % is legal tint there?

I just bought a sports car that needs tint and its getting 20% all round regardless.

I will stick a JooVoo in the back through the tint which should be good enough and the tint acts like a CPL filter as well.

Bring on the JooVoo methinks :cool:

I'm not sure but I think the regulation is about 70% of light must pass through at the max

I just bought a sports car that needs tint and its getting 20% all round regardless.

I will stick a JooVoo in the back through the tint which should be good enough and the tint acts like a CPL filter as well.

Bring on the JooVoo methinks :cool:

While I too am excited to see how this camera turns out, right now you can only purchase one bundle which has a cig car charger w/ gps. Seems silly to buy it like that as a rear camera.

The legal tint here is 35% but I want 20 and would suit much nicer and protect the leather more.

I asked a few tinters about possible police notice of 20 and there doesn't seem to be an issue so Im going with 20.

GPS in power cable is something the manufacturers are onto and will replace.

I am quite happy to purchase an extra X for the rear and of course GPS is not needed there.

GPS in power cable is something the manufacturers are onto and will replace.

I am quite happy to purchase an extra X for the rear and of course GPS is not needed there.

Which is my point. You'd then be purchasing and paying for a GPS cable that you essentially don't need, along with a window mount that may or may not work with your rear setup. For some they might not mind paying for parts they don't need. The other issue is if there isn't a cig car charger port in the back of the car, you'd have to run it off battery.

....if there isn't a cig car charger port in the back of the car, you'd have to run it off battery.....

My car and my wife's car have rear cams. I allow a bit of extra cable on the parcel shelf to allow the hatch to open, but the rest of the cable is tucked along the side and bottom of the rear seats (out of sight), then makes a short run across the central part of the floor of the rear passenger footwell, then runs alongside the front passenger seat 'runners' and on to the 12v socket between the two front seats.

Our larger family car (MPV) has two 12v sockets - one in the front and one in the boot/3rd row of seats. It also has a blanking plate covering the location for a third socket in the 2nd row seats but only the highest spec models have them fitted as standard.

I'm not saying a rear cam isn't possible, I too will be installing a Mobius on the rear. I just don't think the JooVuu X is the right cam at this point in time. I think it would make for a great front facing cam being that it has GPS, cig car charger, suction mount all supplied.

I did want to add, obviously this is based on my personal preference and needs.

Last edited:
... how does the möbius perform on tinted glass?

I'm happy with my rear facing Mobius B. The exposure is set to default level (0), but has plenty of scope for adjustment, as required.

image.jpg image.jpg

My rear mounted but forward facing Mobius B was exposing the car interior correctly, however, the exterior was significantly overexposed. I corrected this by adjusting the exposure slider from 0 to -100.

image.jpg

I'm happy with my rear facing Mobius B. The exposure is set to default level (0), but has plenty of scope for adjustment, as required.

View attachment 19024 View attachment 19025

My rear mounted but forward facing Mobius B was exposing the car interior correctly, however, the exterior was significantly overexposed. I corrected this by adjusting the exposure slider from 0 to -100.

View attachment 19026

surely you don't leave the camera settings like that...

you are having a laugh ,,,,, right ???

My guess is that you wanted a camera inside facing forward to catch the bigger picture of what's happened outside the car, which is captured nicely.

My guess is that you wanted a camera inside facing forward to catch the bigger picture of what's happened outside the car, which is captured nicely.

With 3 cameras, I have front & rear duties covered. I thought about affixing the 3rd camera to the driver side rear window, which is fixed glass, & may do so in the future.

In the meantime, I decided to have the 3rd camera rear mounted but front facing, to backup the front camera in case of unlikely failure to record to memory card, & also to get some peripheral coverage of what's happening outside the side windows.

It's imperfect, but I'm fairly happy with the clips it's recording. I suppose I should buy a 4th camera & do 360° coverage properly, but a 4 camera setup looks obsessive :)

I'm very partial to the Mobius as a rear facing camera. It is small, stealthy, versatile, highly reliable and the price is right. As for tinted glass one simply needs to increase the EV value by an increment or two depending upon the particular camera, lens and tint level of your window. The downside is you may experience a slight increase in motion blur and slightly worse night performance but this is usually not a huge problem.

With 3 cameras, I have front & rear duties covered. I thought about affixing the 3rd camera to the driver side rear window, which is fixed glass, & may do so in the future.

In the meantime, I decided to have the 3rd camera rear mounted but front facing, to backup the front camera in case of unlikely failure to record to memory card, & also to get some peripheral coverage of what's happening outside the side windows.

It's imperfect, but I'm fairly happy with the clips it's recording.

When I first saw that you had placed a camera in the rear facing forward I questioned why but after seeing your last posted image I can see the value of having this perspective.

I'm not saying a rear cam isn't possible, I too will be installing a Mobius on the rear. I just don't think the JooVuu X is the right cam at this point in time. I think it would make for a great front facing cam being that it has GPS, cig car charger, suction mount all supplied.

I did want to add, obviously this is based on my personal preference and needs.

With a few remaining questions regarding the @JooVuu X (such as the field of view and the supplied mount) I'm not sure what it will be best suited to.

I recently picked up a couple of Mobius mounts to increase my mounting options for when my JooVuu X arrives, hopefully this week.

The JooVuu X manual says 155 degrees down to 60 degrees in ~30 degree increments but there were possible issues with that so I don't know how (or if) it was finally resolved, nor how it will be accomplished other than simply cropping the image edges which is basically the same as changing the resolution.

If there's a loss of pixels due to cropping on the lower angles, it might be just as well to stick with the wider angles to get the best images from it. But there are plus and minus points to wider angles which were discussed recently on another thread here > link <

I concluded that the wide angle of my Panorama was best suited to the rear of our family car, and JooVuu X widest proposed angle from a few weeks ago is about the same as the Panorama, although there was uncertainty at the time as to what JooVuu X cams real angles were.

Back