Best hardwire kit?

Grayson73

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the best hardwire kit for the A119 V3? Also, if I want to run two, would I get two hardwire kits?

Viofo cams do best with Viofo HWK's. The cams require more power than usual so their HWK's deliver that while other ones may not. 2-wire HWK's don't support parking modes, that requires a 3-wire HWK. You need one HWK for each cam.

Phil

Viofo cams do best with Viofo HWK's. The cams require more power than usual so their HWK's deliver that while other ones may not. 2-wire HWK's don't support parking modes, that requires a 3-wire HWK. You need one HWK for each cam.

Phil
Thanks. I decided to get a dual cam system instead, so I'll look for one for the A129 Plus Duo or A129 Pro Duo.

Just saw your post about Adorama's sale, not likely to get the V3 for any cheaper than that. The Plus Duo will be better at night and the Pro Duo better daytime but either does well enough. The V3 isn't a bad choice either but not quite in the same league anymore. Same advice for HWK's- use Viofo's.

Phil

Just saw your post about Adorama's sale, not likely to get the V3 for any cheaper than that. The Plus Duo will be better at night and the Pro Duo better daytime but either does well enough. The V3 isn't a bad choice either but not quite in the same league anymore. Same advice for HWK's- use Viofo's.

Phil
Thanks! I thought about two A119 V3s due to the sale, but I'll just go for simplicity with the Plus or Pro Duo.

Thanks! I thought about two A119 V3s due to the sale, but I'll just go for simplicity with the Plus or Pro Duo.
I own the Viofo A129 duo in my Honda Odyssey (two cams) and Viofo A129 IR duo + a standalone dashcam in the rear in my Toyota Highlander (3 cams). I actually find it simpler to install two standalone dashcams for front and rear installations, otherwise you must run a long cable from the front to the rear as I did in my Odyssey. Today I purchased two Viofo A119 v3 for a Honda CRV that I will take possession of later this week. The CRV will set up as front + rear standalone cameras. For those that have teen drivers, I suggest adding a 3rd cabin/taxicam with IR lights as I did in my daughter's Toyota.

I tapped into a rear cigarette power port in the rear for the rear camera in the Toyota.

Last edited:
Thanks. I decided to get a dual cam system instead, so I'll look for one for the A129 Plus Duo or A129 Pro Duo.

Viofo's HK3 hardwire kit is the only one recommended to use with either camera.

I own the Viofo A129 duo in my Honda Odyssey and Viofo A129 IR duo + a standalone dashcam in the rear in my Toyota Highlander (3 cameras total). I actually find it simpler to install two standalone dashcams for front and rear installations, otherwise you must run a long cable from the front to the rear as I did in my Odyssey. Today I purchased two Viofo A119 v3 for a Honda CRV that I will take possession of later this week. The CRV will set up as front + rear standalone cameras. For those that have teen drivers, I suggest adding a 3rd cabin/taxicam with IR lights as I did in my daughter's Toyota.

Viofo released a 3 channel (A139) camera. A good addition to any vehicle with a teen. A good deterrent system, because you can then see if your teen driver is paying attention, or texting and gabbing with friends. At which time keys can be taken or a nice stern chat.

Kids 16-24 are at the highest risk of accident.

Just for info ...... I've been running my V3 on a Nextbase HWK Mk1 for years without issue. I don't know if the latest Nextbase Mk2 kit for their series 2 dashcams is the same or similar specs.

I own the Viofo A129 duo in my Honda Odyssey (two cams) and Viofo A129 IR duo + a standalone dashcam in the rear in my Toyota Highlander (3 cams). I actually find it simpler to install two standalone dashcams for front and rear installations, otherwise you must run a long cable from the front to the rear as I did in my Odyssey. Today I purchased two Viofo A119 v3 for a Honda CRV that I will take possession of later this week. The CRV will set up as front + rear standalone cameras. For those that have teen drivers, I suggest adding a 3rd cabin/taxicam with IR lights as I did in my daughter's Toyota.

I tapped into a rear cigarette power port in the rear for the rear camera in the Toyota.

Interesting. I was going to ask how you powered the rear standalone. I have a rear cigarette port for the back seats of my sedan, but not sure I want to use that up since we plug a USB charger in that for my kids.

I was going to do exactly what you did, two A119 V3s. However, I decided on the A129 Plus for Wi-Fi access and ease of installation.

Interesting. I was going to ask how you powered the rear standalone. I have a rear cigarette port for the back seats of my sedan, but not sure I want to use that up since we plug a USB charger in that for my kids.

I was going to do exactly what you did, two A119 V3s. However, I decided on the A129 Plus for Wi-Fi access and ease of installation.

Hardwiring to the fuse box is a far better option. Sure it'll result in the need to replace your car battery somewhat more often, but the benefits outweigh the cost. Battery packs will set you back almost as much or equal to that of a new car battery. Meaning the gains are minimal.

Parking mode on the A129 is very good. Never had issues.

My only gripe (outside of a bug that we all discovered with the A129 - dupe frames every 93 frames) is a limitation created by my own decision. Tinted windows do degrade night visibility and removes your ability to utilize a CPL filter. The CPL filter helps reduce glare created by the sun and street lights. Meaning, capturing license plates and finer detail is inhibited in my setup.

None the less, the A129 has saved my keester a few times.

1. Break in to my other car (caught idiots faces). Although doubt they were ever caught. It wasn't perfect lighting but you could identify people if they were apprehended.

2. My car was rear ended and it was caught on video. Insurance company literally pissed themselves when I provided video evidence.

Last edited:
I should add, that insurance company tried to say "how do we know it was his fault for rear ending your car". Stupid, but insurance companies don't like to fix things. They are there to make money.

I said, well give me 15 minutes, and I'll show you. They asked what I meant, but I didn't elaborate. Pulled off the video and emailed them a copy. Suffice to say, their attitude changed immediately. Stammered like Porky the Pig.

Very satisfying feeling. +1 Dash cameras.

Last edited:
Back