Best helmet mounted camera £120 max budget in uk

simonwwfc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 512gw 1440 hd quad
im in the market for another helmet my max budget is £120 max in the uk . I was looking at drift stealth 2 but heard the microphone is terrible for sound and most record with it turned off .

It's will be side mounted on my crash helmet only used for local riding with mates

I imagine you are always going to have a problem with sound on a helmet mounted camera if you are doing any speed, either use another camera/audio recorder somewhere out of the wind, an external microphone on a handlebar mounted camera, or use an external microphone on your helmet camera if your camera supports Bluetooth microphone.

The new Gitup F1 is a nice small 4K camera :https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/f1.249/

I'm looking for head camera available in uk

Sena Prism Tube. Techmoan likes it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would not like a teletubby helmet camera, there are little of this i have seen that i would use.
I would more go for a on bike camera like the Innovv K2

Yeah you really have to be careful as a motorcyclist on Danish streets, there are so many out there driving or in other ways moving thru our little country, and they do so more or less blindfolded due to their stupid phones.

Lets hope the did as good on the DV688 as with the B1W.

@Leonauto Thanks for your recommendation. Just wondering if you can help me to solve this problem?
DV688 uses this Allwinner V3 chipset, we are difficult to find a correct GPS player for MAC system

DV688 uses this Allwinner V3 chipset, we are difficult to find a correct GPS player for MAC system

what file format are you using, AVI, MOV, MP4, TS and is it one file per channel or both channels combined in the one video file?

Last edited:
Separated video clips, and file format MP4

if you send sample files to @traveler he may be able to include playback support in his Dashcam Viewer program, he does both Mac and Windows versions
Thanks for your time, I will PM him for help!

Pretty much any of the action cameras will do. As others have mentioned, wind sound will be an issue on all depending on how fast you're going. If you want to reduce / eliminate wind noise then use a separate mic with a dead cat cover.

Lets hope the did as good on the DV688 as with the B1W.
Unfortunately this isn't part of the B1W family, it is one they are reselling like they resell the mini 0906, so don't expect B1W quality.

The two little remote cameras are nice, a nice size and easy to mount and connect up. They have a nice FOV for a bike, narrower than a car dashcam because bikes are narrower than cars, so they see more in the distance than a car dashcam does.

The mounts are almost GoPro mount compatible so you can mount them almost anywhere.
The clamp is a little loose in the GoPro tripod adaptors I used, but that can be sorted.

Not sure they are immersion proof, the cable connectors don't look 100% waterproof, but they do seem rainproof and are easy to install.
Maybe a little Vaseline to keep the moisture out would be a good idea in damp environments.

CgAGfFtXAE6AaBi5AACUAylfx_s364.jpg

The main unit is OK, but the Allwinner V3 isn't a great processor, reminds me of a cheap action camera, the sort I would be happy to give to the kids.

It only records 720 levels of detail even though it is true 1080, no interpolation but no texture to surfaces. However, because the field of view is narrower than a car dashcam number plates are recorded OK. Seems a bit expensive for the quality it gives, but it does work and there isn't much competition for waterproof dual remote cameras.

Both bitrate and frame rate are quite low:

Format AVC (H264)
Bit rate 7336 Kbps
Width 1920 pixels
Height 1080 pixels
Display aspect ratio 16:9
Frame rate 26.220 fps

The GPS also seems to be a cheap one, takes a while to lock on and then the map trace wanders off the road, but again it does work.

Sound quality is OK as long as there is no wind, but of course that is a problem on a bike! No external microphone connections, although the microphone is in the wired remote control so is effectively an external microphone, if you can place it out of the wind then it is OK.

No super capacitors, it uses a lipo battery for shutdown, but it is replaceable without disassembling the unit. It is a bit power hungry, using 0.95 amps average from my USB powerbank, compared to 0.15 amps for the B1W! But it does come with a hardwire kit so on a motorcycle that wont be a problem, and you should have plenty of cooling so that it doesn't overheat, maybe not wise for an enclosed vehicle though.

The other issue is that it is not easy to unplug since there are multiple water resistant connectors to undo, which means that you will be leaving it on the bike, which for some people might be a security problem.

CgAGfFtXAFyAW32cAAKRQp_0YqQ291.jpg

If you want to make movies on your bike then use a decent action camera with stabilisation.

If you want a rainproof accident camera for your bike then this works OK and the little cameras look good, but it can't easily be removed from the bike to avoid theft.

A waterproof B1W would be nice, but this isn't it, it is not part of the family, not the same quality, and since it is not manufactured by Blueskysea I guess it wont get the same level of support either.

This looks like the right type of package for dedicated side dash cams. With better quality, low light sensors, and good support this type of camera should sell well.
2 bullet lens packages that hang down from the roof being barely noticeable would be nice to find in a 2.7k or 4k setup.

Unfortunately this isn't part of the B1W family, it is one they are reselling like they resell the mini 0906, so don't expect B1W quality.

The two little remote cameras are nice, a nice size and easy to mount and connect up. They have a nice FOV for a bike, narrower than a car dashcam because bikes are narrower than cars, so they see more in the distance than a car dashcam does.

CgAGfFtXAE6AaBi5AACUAylfx_s364.jpg

It only records 720 levels of detail even though it is true 1080,
CgAGfFtXAFyAW32cAAKRQp_0YqQ291.jpg

A waterproof B1W would be nice, but this isn't it, it is not part of the family, not the same quality, and since it is not manufactured by Blueskysea I guess it wont get the same level of support either.

I imagine you are always going to have a problem with sound on a helmet mounted camera if you are doing any speed, either use another camera/audio recorder somewhere out of the wind, an external microphone on a handlebar mounted camera, or use an external microphone on your helmet camera if your camera supports Bluetooth microphone.

The new Gitup F1 is a nice small 4K camera :https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/f1.249/
Agreed!

This is my take on a headcam.............

I run several cameras on my bikes, but they're all fixed, and I wanted a more versatile option as well.
So I took an old Stealth helmet, and found a way of fitting a Mobius camera into it without compromising the helmets' integrity.........I just lost the ability to close the front air vent, (which I never do anyway).
Hopefully below are some pics of it, and a few links to development footage I've just taken.

Back