Best Idea Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteTheGreek

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK so I decided against hardwiring my front and rear dashcam.
I got two Nextbase 522GW Dashcams.
I then installed a standard 20,000AH Powerbank such as those for charging mobile phones I connected both dashcams to the Powerbank and I now have 24/7 recordings without worrying about flat car battery.
Set the dashcams to go into sleep mode when the car is stationary and your done.
I couldn't be happier.

So you just have to charge up the powerbank periodically?

Not at all. The Powerbank is plugged into the cigarette lighter so only charges when the car is active so no chance of flattening the car battery. The beauty is the power bank shuts off when fully charged and if left parked, you don't have to rely on the measly few minutes you get from the dashcam battery.

Last edited:
The powerbank must have pass through charging and that feature is very rarely. I know only 2 brands with this feature: Zendure and RavPower.
The other thing... a standard powerbank has a long recharge time.
You won't have 24/7 recordings.

Last edited:
Mine has been running for three weeks with no issues whatsoever.
I checked the recordings today and all good.
I use ravpower powerbanks.
I definitely have 24/7 recordings.
It's much better than risking a non starting car or missing an event when your car is parked up caused by a measly dashcam battery.
It works for me :)

This depends on the size of your car battery. If you have a small car with a tiny battery then it might make sense to use a secondary battery.
But if you have a car with a big battery and drive frequently you can simply use that one. No need to put power banks that aren't rated for the high temperatures in the car.

Powerbanks go in boot. We seldom have high temp in UK. Dashcam batteries are rubbish and very unreliable. I would not go back to not having powerbanks. Before, there was always missed recordings. Now 100% reliable.

I use ravpower powerbanks.

Not all RAVpower power banks have the ability to do pass-through-charging. Very few power banks on the market do and very few of the RAVpower ones do.

Personally, I've been using power banks to run dash cams for many years. I use two 20,000 mAh power banks to run four cameras when I am parked and I charge them as needed when I return home at night. The simple fact is that power banks are not intended to be used in the manner in which you are using them. In fact, they were never designed to be use as full time power supplies. They were designed for periodic and occasional charging of devices like smartphones. Power banks were also never designed to be permanently installed in the boot of a car where they are constantly subjected to shocks, vibration and heat. (Despite your claim that you seldom have high temps in UK, you'd be amazed at how hot the trunk of a car can get when it is sitting in the sunshine.)

Mine has been running for three weeks with no issues whatsoever.

Just because your set-up has been working for three weeks is meaningless in the longer term scheme of things. Ultimately, pass-through-charging of a power bank that is not designed for it risks premature failure of the power bank as well as possible damage to your dash cams because a constantly charging power bank can rapidly switch on and off when it reaches the saturation point during the charging process. The charging circuitry in the battery bank gets confused when it is simultaneously charging and discharging. This is why only a power bank designed for pass-through-charging that has the appropriate charging circuitry is suitable for this.

This is an old topic here on DCT and there are countless threads and discussions about pass-through-charging. For some reason, it is very common to have a new member show up here on DCT and claim that using power banks permanently attached to a charging circuit (pass-through-charging) is a perfectly fine thing to do, yet when more knowledgeable and experienced members try to explain why doing so is not a wise thing to be doing they rationalize that it's really OK to do it anyway and reject everyone's advice.

Last edited:
Wiring a dashcam permanently to a car battery is much more riskier than wiring it to a power supply. Most companies want you to go for a hardwire because they want to take your money.
I am by no means a Newby as you describe me. I am a technician with over 30 years experience in ni cd and lithium batteries. The ravpower I use does have pass through and can and does sustain permanent trickle drainage from my dashcam. I have also ascertained that the battery temperature dues not exceed the stated working temperature.
That all being good, I am perfectly happy and academically qualified to definitely recommend this set up.
Several years ago I was involved in the fitting of professional DVR recording systems in emergency vehicles (unlike the toy dashcams sold today). These systems were the black boxes of emergency vehicles. All 6,500 vehicles were fitted with these systems, all used pass through charging power packs. Each power bank had a lifespan of approximately three years, running 24/7.
I speak from experience so I am certain my system will still be operational in many years to come.

Last edited:
I didn't describe you as a Newbie, I merely said you were new to the forum. But really, what do nickel-cadmium batteries have to do with dash cams and power banks? And the issue with power banks is not the lithium batteries per se, it's the charging process.

Which model RAVpower do you have?

It is not in the least just the charging process. Its the ability of the cells to withstand charging and discharging.
Granted, heat is a factor but I have ascertained that my boot remains cool and in the UK we don't have issues with temperature as with warmer countries.

I base my calculations around

Heat increases battery performance but shortens life by a factor of two for every 10°C increase above 25–30°C (18°F above 77–86°F).

So yes, always keep the battery cool but this is no different to your car battery. Every batteries performance is affected by heat but we don't remove our car batteries when the going gets hot or bumpy :)

Last edited:
It is not in the least just the charging process. Its the ability of the cells to withstand charging and discharging.
Granted, heat is a factor but I have ascertained that my boot remains cool and in the UK we don't have issues with temperature as with warmer countries.

I base my calculations around

Heat increases battery performance but shortens life by a factor of two for every 10°C increase above 25–30°C (18°F above 77–86°F).

So yes,
I didn't describe you as a Newbie, I merely said you were new to the forum. But really, what do nickel-cadmium batteries have to do with dash cams and power banks? And the issue with power banks is not the lithium batteries per se, it's the charging process.

Which model RAVpower do you have?
The Powerbank only charges when the car is mobile, plus

Ravpower- Once the internal battery voltage reaches its maximum level, the circuit disconnects power from the charger to the internal battery

Also, the dashcam goes into parking mode when the car is stationary. Connecting a milli amp metre to the device shows a current drain of merely the equivalent of a couple of led bulbs.
Taking all this into account, I would say having the set up I have far outweighs the risk of relying on the poor batteries supplied within the dashcam. You only have to look on forums to see how many people have lost vital info in parking mode due to failed batteries. (sorry for the bold text. I can't seem to turn it off for some reason :))

Powerbanks go in boot. We seldom have high temp in UK. Dashcam batteries are rubbish and very unreliable.
That's why most serious dashcams don't use baterries, but i guess you already knew that...or not?
Your setup won't last. I've had used this kind of setup and after a period of time, the powerbank(ravpower also) doesn't fully charge anymore from the car socket. It stay's at 10 or 20%.
I had to charge it in house.

And how do the companies take your money with hardwiring?

I am not certain. I purchased them several years ago when I worked for the company that installed the DVRs in the emergency vehicles. They are very robust. I have also used them to power an inverter in my car for a cooling box that was permanently on through almost every weekend away, with no issues. I will take a picture tomorrow and post it.
I love the idea. Dashcam batteries are unreliable. In the past I lost footage in parking mode. A friend of mine had his car damaged in a car park. Parking mode activated and the battery died after around two minutes, leaving him without footage. I would sooner throw away the power banks and replace them every year than rely on the dashcam batteries.

That's why most serious dashcams don't use baterries, but i guess you already knew that...or not?
Your setup won't last. I've had used this kind of setup and after a period of time, the powerbank(ravpower also) doesn't fully charge anymore from the car socket. It stay's at 10 or 20%.

In the UK stores charge £70 to hardwire a dashcam.
If you read my previous post, we installed professional DVRs in 6500 vehicles using the setup I am using. The powerbanks lasted three years, so keep watch for my updates :)
You must of been using a cheap Powerbank with no pass through :(

So, What model RAVpower power bank do you have that features "pass-through-charging".
There are many, many powerbanks with pass through charging capability-

1. RAVPower 20000mAh 60W PD 3.0​

RAVPower 20000mAh 60W PD 3.0

• Capacity: 20000mAh
  • Max output: 60W
  • Ports: 1 USB Type C, 1 USB Type A
  • Charging Time: 3 hours
  • Passthrough Charging: Yes
  • Weight: 14.4 oz / 408 g
***THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE***

So, What model RAVpower power bank do you have that features "pass-through-charging".

2. Crave Plus 10000mAh Quick Charge 3.0​

Crave Plus 10000mAh Quick Charge 3.0

• Capacity: 10000mAh
  • Ports: 1 USB Type C, 1 USB Type A, 1 Micro USB
  • Charging Time: 1-2 hours
  • Passthrough Charging: Yes
  • Weight: 9 oz/255 g

There's many, many powerbanks in the UK with pass through but as a professional and through huge experience of dealing with them I rate ravpower.
They deal with pretty much everything you can throw at them.
I will monitor their performance in my car connected to my dashcams. Even if they only last a year though, it will be worth it as there is nothing more frustrating than coming back to your car and finding it damaged and worst still, the "toy" battery within the dashcam died after two minutes, leaving you without footage.

Any dashcam that doesn't have a battery is a toy. To rely on the cars main battery is futile. If you are talking about the three wire systems, go look on the forums as they are prone to failure. When an event happens I want guaranteed footage. The only way to guarantee this is not to rely on the dashcam or vehicle battery. Having a dedicated Powerbank is the only secure way of making that happen. If you look at reviews on the three wire systems you will see what I mean and then take a look on dashcam battery failure. One person mentions the battery in their £350 dashcam failing three times in one year.
My system is best by far. I will write another review in twelve months but I don't foresee any issues in using good quality powerbanks whatsoever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back