Best Legal position to install dash cam in UK?

For me, pos 3 would be out because it would likely be illegal and fail future MOT, plus would be annoying when looking forward.

Pos 1 would be OK for the camera but you'd have an unsightly lead up the cowl.

For me pos 2 is the best choice as it'd be higher up so a shorter visible lead.

What I didn't mention on mine is the visible cowl made a difference to the auto EV setting and made the footage darker. Once I moved it so the cowl wasn't in shot it brightened up.

Your choice though.
Thanks Kremen, Pos 2 is/was my favoured choice as well I just wasn't expecting to have to move it so far from the center.

Can you put it on the cowl, with the lens looking underneath?
That should be legal...
I did look at that but there isn't a flat surface (all curved) to stick it to so not 100% sure how well it will adhere.

I would look at putting it about where the street light reflection is, then the lens is effectively looking under the cowl, so you can put it right up against the cowl.

Seems your car is designed to be dashcam unfriendly though!

There is always the option of mounting the dashcam on the dash! I'm guessing that could work OKish, but only as a last resort.

It seems you have it worse than me, I have a Mk7 Fiesta and the cowl is narrower but long. Looks like you have a Mk8 and the cowl is really wide.

May be best to take some snapshots of the cam in various positions with the car stationery (if the app allows this) and then compare to see what is best in terms of visibility.

I realize sometimes it is difficult but I am too OCD for not having my dashcam in the middle.

I've had multiple cameras installed during the annual MOT, and I've never had any comments about their placement on both sides of the rear view mirror. The only question was from one mechanic who wanted to know more about the Mobius 1 camera I was using at the time.

As was said above the mk 8 fiesta is not very dashcam friendly, I have a 2019 mk8 fiesta and that big monstrosity of a cowl is a p.i.a, the best place I could get it you'll see from the pic below was about 4 inches away from the cowl, the mount half in and out of the dotted part of the screen, it is within the wiper area AND I don't get the edge of cowl in the video. Downside for me is I'd like to have got more of the drivers side of the bonnet in the image, other thing you will notice is the reflection of the windscreen white pillar, bloomin' thing is too wide :oops:, there is a cpl fitted in this pic.
Move the mount to the right to try and avoid the pillar reflection you get the edge of the cowl blocking the right side of the bonnet completely. Can't win with this car. Like you the mount will not sit on the cowl. putting it to the right of rearview mirror just gives you the same problem in reverse.:(

IMG_20220702_145003.png

That looks good to me (y)

If you fit the dash cam on the drivers side and fit shorter wipers to ensure its outside the sweep then the dash cam view won't be wiped clear when it rains.

Was thinking more about the passenger side and being able to fit it a bit lower on the windscreen (within the 4cm allowable wiper zone)

Most of us fit them on the passenger side to be out of the way. Just make sure it is swept by wipers and if wide angle watch the central mirror housing as these days they are very wide and you can get a black spot.

I wouldn't worry about a dashcam intruding more than 4cm into the wiper zone on the passenger side. Some rear view mirrors intrude far more than that, and in many cases the dashcam will be partly or perhaps mostly hidden behind the rear view mirror.

I have a Ford Transit Custom, it has a stupidly big sensor cover right in the middle of the windshield that blocks a lot of the dashcams horizontal view, mounting lower helps.

Back