Best micro SD card?

Mine started rebooting after u/g to 2.007 on the highest setting w Delkin 375x cards (never rebooted prior to the newer higher bitrate setting)

Now fixed having swapped to newer Delkin 1900x cards

3 week update on the Lexar 633x 128GB card.
I have had zero issues and the camera hasn't restarted once. Purchased a 2nd backup card and have had installed for 8 days with zero issues also. The BlackVue has been recording many days of 10-12hrs of driving, no issues. Great card at a great price.

Attachments

• 71d4Hej-g6L._SL1500_.jpg
    71d4Hej-g6L._SL1500_.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 8
I read all the bad press on Sandisk, but mine haven't had issue. I recently had a 32gb top rated Lexar standard SD fail and one of my 32gb transcend class 10 micro sd cards fail.

Unlike my cameras, when my dashcams have issues, I can't tell if the card or dashcam. I'm thinking best to check once a while and have a known operable spare for swap and testing.

I read all the bad press on Sandisk, but mine haven't had issue. I recently had a 32gb top rated Lexar standard SD fail and one of my 32gb transcend class 10 micro sd cards fail.

Unlike my cameras, when my dashcams have issues, I can't tell if the card or dashcam. I'm thinking best to check once a while and have a known operable spare for swap and testing.

SandDisk Ultra cards can go for really long periods of time without any problems and then suddenly fail when you least expect it. That's the issue. I've owned three of them that I bought several years ago before I read all the reports of failed cards and wouldn't ya know it, one of them suddenly crapped out after working fine for a long time. Now I keep the other two around as spare back-ups but no longer used them for mission critical everyday dash cam use.

Helpful microSD card information, including help detecting fakes:

* Check out the SD Insight Android app in the Play Store - helps identify counterfeit microSD memory cards, pulls all the manufacturer data fields out of the microSD firmware: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.humanlogic.sdi&hl=en

* This is a good microSD card information guide - explains in technical terms why 'High Endurance' microSD cards should be used in dashcams: https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/recommended-sd-cards-avoid-sandisk-ultra-cards

* SD Card Formatter from the SD Association: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
(They say: "It is strongly recommended to use the SD Card Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems ...... The SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a "Protected Area" on the card for the SD standard's security function. The SD Card Formatter does not format the "Protected Area"")

* Of course, the final acid test for a suspect fake or counterfeit microSD card, is to fill up the card to capacity, then copy it back to the PC, confirming that the full stated capacity of the microSD card is correct, and that the read/write speeds are as expected. Common counterfeiter practice is to use a low capacity slow microSD card and change the firmware to present a false high capacity to host operating system.

Last edited:
I have been using a 256GB Sandisk without any problems at all for close to 3 months now . Kind of pricey, but I wanted a lot of history available on the chip if needed. The exact designation of my chip is "SanDisk Ultra 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I" It remains to be seen how it performs during the heat of summer!

I have been using a 256GB Sandisk without any problems at all for close to 3 months now . Kind of pricey, but I wanted a lot of history available on the chip if needed. The exact designation of my chip is "SanDisk Ultra 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I" It remains to be seen how it performs during the heat of summer!

Is it a card that looks like this?
256GB-SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-UHS-I-card-Premium-Edition.jpg

With the latest firmwares and highest video quality these cards doesn't work well. I've tried the 64GB version and the black version (128GB) and the dashcam kept restarting constantly.
What firmware are you using, and what video quality setting?

Is it a card that looks like this?
256GB-SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-UHS-I-card-Premium-Edition.jpg

With the latest firmwares and highest video quality these cards doesn't work well. I've tried the 64GB version and the black version (128GB) and the dashcam kept restarting constantly.
What firmware are you using, and what video quality setting?

Yes, that is the chip I am using and it has been performing flawlessly.
As I said, I have no idea how well it will perform in the coming summer heat.
I have the latest firmware in the camera (2.007) and have the highest video quality set so that a forward looking file is around 78 megs.
It performs FAR FAR better than the 128GB PNY chip that came with the camera which had repeated hard failures!
I have been using it for going on 3 months now.
So, despite what anyone else says, I have to give this chip a "Thumbs Up", at least until summer.

It performs FAR FAR better than the 128GB PNY chip that came with the camera which had repeated hard failures!

Interesting that the PNY card gave you trouble, opinion here on DCT seems to be favourable overall. Myself, I've been running the same 128GB PNY card for about a year now I think and in multiple cameras. A Blacksys CF-100 2-channel (died), a JooVuu X (my usual front camera, no issues on my current firmware) and also a Shadow GT550WS which I am still testing it's compatibility with (it hasn't had chance to loop over yet and I haven't tried an in-camera format yet either).

so anyone finding this problem with the Lexar 633x 128gb cards? at home and at night the card seems to perform fine. But as soon as I park it under the sun during the day, the card shouts at me "check sd" card until I reboot it when I've returned to the car. After rebooting it will work for about 10 minutes then shout "check sd card" at me again until I've rebooted and it works fine for the rest of the day because by now it's afternoon/night time.

I'm suspecting that the card is unable to hand parking mode under the Australian summer heat. It's weird because for the most part of last year I was using a Lexar 400x 64gb and it seemed fine, admittedly the speaker was blown out so I didnt have anything shouting at me to check the sd card. Only after having it fixed and now upgraded it seems to be having problem.

Should I downgrade the firmware perhaps? Or maybe try one of the newer high endurance card, thinking of going all out and getting the transcend one at this point.

Can report that the Lexar 64gb high endurance microsd card is holding up much better with the DR650-2ch, firmware 2.007 and cell link b battery. My dash cam runs pretty much 24/7 and it hasn't restarted once or stated that I need to check the sd card since swapping over to the high endurance card from the 633x 128gb card.

Just an update on the SanDisk 256gb card that I previously posted on in this thread. It is going on 5 months now that I have been using it and have not seen any significant problems. I have had only one reset, and I am not so sure but that was my own fault. It still remains to be seen how it performs as we get into the summer heat. With high-quality video set, and using both front and rear cameras, I can store about 35 hours worth of video on the chip. For my normal around-town driving, that is almost a full month of history that is available. Of course, when I go on long motor-home trips where I am driving 8+ hours in a day, the number of days of history available drops accordingly. I wanted to save ALL of the history on the chip from a recent motor-home trip and it took about 2 hours to dump everything to my desktop computer. I guess that's not surprising considering the volume of material stored on that tiny chip. I still have not connected the camera to do parking-mode monitoring once the ignition is off.

Anyone try out Lexar 1000x?

I have had my first reset using my SanDisk 256gb chip that was definitely not my fault. It had been recording for about 30 minutes of continuous driving when all of a sudden, I heard "BlackView for your safe driving. Starting normal recording". I heard this without hearing any prior message about restarting or formatting. Still, that is just one reset after 5 months of usage. I checked the chip when I got home and it appears that it only dropped about 30 seconds of recording time. As I said previously, it still remains to be seen how it performs as the summer heat arrives, but so far, I give it a thumbs-up.

It could be another thing. After the card has filled up, it starts overwriting old files. After slot of this you could end up in a situation where writing data isn't sequential.
The read/write speed is far lower when the data is read/written non-sequential.
Try formatting the card, that would help if thats the problem.

Still VERY happy with the 256GB SanDisk SDXC card I put in my DR650GW-2CH a full 6 months ago. Still have the summer heat to contend with, however. Will report again after our first real heat wave.

Back