Best micro SD card?

Only thing I've heard from manufacturers is the growth of mobile phones is taking up all the available silicon and the shortage is pushing up prices as a result

No, that's not quite right. I thought you knew.

See: "Global demands for NAND Flash Memory has far outstripped production. Here's some info on why and how this shortage occurred."

"The current financial troubles of electronics conglomerate, Toshiba, is one of the major contributions to the shortage of NAND flash memory. Toshiba is the second largest supplier of flash memory in the global market (second only to Samsung) and also the first company to begin producing NAND flash memory. Toshiba has been hammered by the collapse of its American nuclear business, Westinghouse Electric, which filed for bankruptcy protection in the U.S. in March, 2017". They have been trying to sell their NAND business among others. They have stated that the business may not survive the crisis."

There was one left when I bought the first one @ AU$69 ... 3 weeks later it was still there and the only one left probably in Australia.
I was looking at another Transcend 64GB that was $10 cheaper. I drove to the Store and asked the Salesman which was better. He said the $10 cheaper one ... so I went for that.
3 weeks later when I wanted to use it - opened it up and it was a standard size ... not a micro like the other one. Neither myself or the Salesman picked up that they were a different size. Checked back at the Store and the last one had sold.

Not happy ... I stuffed up. Not only did I do my $69 (on special) ... but couldn't get the one I wanted. A double whammy right there. A triple blow if I buy one at a much higher price. :p
Had my chance ... and blew it.

Last edited:
Whatever the underlying reasons are there's not enough of it to meet demand and prices are up

If you were to take the time to read the links I referenced you would know that Toshiba is the major underlying reason for "not enough of it to meet demand".

Last edited:
Like I said, whatever the reason, demand is outstripping supply, the reason is irrelevant, the end result is prices are up, end users are concerned about what they have to pay for memory cards, why is of less interest to most I would suspect

Like I said, whatever the reason, demand is outstripping supply, the reason is irrelevant, the end result is prices are up, end users are concerned about what they have to pay for memory cards, why is of less interest to most I would suspect

I don't quite agree. Flash memory has become a commodity and prices have been fluctuating for quite some time due to different market forces. This is normal. But, if the second largest supplier of memory chips in the world is on the verge of possibly going out of business you are into a whole new long term market paradigm. So, while you are correct that demand is outstripping supply, the reason may in fact be far more relevant than you acknowledge going forward.

Last edited:
I don't quite agree. Flash memory has become a commodity and prices have been fluctuating for quite some time due to different market forces. This is normal. But, if the largest supplier of memory chips in the world is on the verge of possibly going out of business you are into a whole new long term market paradigm. So, while you are correct that demand is outstripping supply, the reason may in fact be far more relevant than you acknowledge going forward.

our cost price for memory cards has increased every month since March 2106 (we buy direct from the manufacturer), the fluctuations may be that some months have seen a sharper rise than others but the trend has been up regardless, some brands maintained their pricing for quite a while but their product quality also seemed to drop while doing this, perhaps due to turning to other sources for the raw material, I don't deal with those brands so not sure what they were doing to maintain pricing when others were increasing but it didn't add up

Okay, I've had the Lexar 633x for 2 weeks and the camera is already randomly rebooting. Not impressed

Currently running on Samsung Evo+ MicroSDXC UHS-I U1 128GB cards, for months without any trouble with DR650S-2CH, in a car which frequently is getting hotter than 40C inside for hours per day. No issues what so ever..

Also, a lot cheaper than both Kingston, Sandisk and Toshiba-cards. Bought a batch of 10pcs to switch between, as the marketprice was low on these. A week after, the price shot thru the roof with 100DKR per card.

I take delivery of Sandisks U3 Extreme Plus 64GB card on Monday. It's the current flagshoip card from Sandisk and from many reviews I have read, it's the best for 4K (dashcam and action cams alike).

Back