Best Mirror Dash Cams

zaza433

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really like mirror dash cams. I am currently on my second replacement Auto Vox V2. It keeps corrupting my SD card and I am ready to get rid of it. I am in the market for another mirror dash cam around the $200 price range. I've been looking at the Rexing M1 Pro and M2 since Rexing is a well-known brand but does anyone else have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks

The mirror cams I've seen and heard of are rather crappy- LiPo batteries and generally poor video quality. Rexing has improved their build quality in the last few years, I wouldn't call them "good" cameras but they're not bad. Customer service is not good but does exist at low levels which is better than most cam brands in their price range. If you buy on Amazon they have a good return policy if it isn't doing what it should.

It takes a good card to work with dashcams- cheap ones will often cause problems. I'd recommend getting a Samsung EVO Select from Amazon with whichever mirror cam you buy as they are great cards at good prices. Just be sure the card is both sold (fulfilled) by Amazon and shipped by Amazon to avoid fakes; lots of those out there.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I have a Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card. It's genuine. I don't need the best quality cameras 1080p is good enough for me. I just like the multi-functionality of the mirror dash cams. I'm just hoping the Rexing is better than the Chinese Autovox. I would have to format the sd card almost weekly to avoid the dash cam from boot looping. I got a replacement sd card from Samsung then a replacement dash cam from autovox and the problem continued.

I'm just hoping the Rexing is better than the Chinese Autovox.
Chinese Rexing isn't much different from Chinese Autovox, the mirrors are pretty much built to the expectations of their Chinese domestic market customers

Chinese Rexing isn't much different from Chinese Autovox, the mirrors are pretty much built to the expectations of their Chinese domestic market customers
I was under the impression that Rexing was American-made. At least, that's what their website conveys

they're a Chinese company, they have some staff in the US that look after sales etc
not that I don't believe you but do you have any references for that? Everything I look up says that they are an American start up from CT. I see nothing about them being a Chinese company. I can understand if they are manufactured in china but they seem like an American company to me.

The Rexing trademark is owned by:

SHENZHEN JIAFENG ZHUOYUE DIGITAL COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD
ROOM 503, 5TH FLOOR,142 BUILDING,JINDI INDUSTRY ZONE, FUTIAN DISTRICT
SHENZHEN 518048
CHINA
Owner Type: Legal Entity

t
The Rexing trademark is owned by:

SHENZHEN JIAFENG ZHUOYUE DIGITAL COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD
ROOM 503, 5TH FLOOR,142 BUILDING,JINDI INDUSTRY ZONE, FUTIAN DISTRICT
SHENZHEN 518048
CHINA
Owner Type: Legal Entity

thank you

Yep- Rexing has a US office and presence, but like most dashcams it's made in China. That's not a bad thing as some of the best dashcams are made there- along with some junk cams too.

I feel that if a mirror cam was done correctly, it would be a viable choice- but none have ever been done this way. For a similar price there are better cams available and I want folks to have the best cams their money can buy. But it's their money and their choice so...

I cannot feel good recommending any mirror cam, so I won't do that. I also don't recommend Rexing or Autovox products. As a very bottom line I'd say they can be OK, but not always and just barely. There are much better cams and much better companies than these for similar prices. And there are much worse ones too.

Your money, your choice.

Phil

Yep- Rexing has a US office and presence, but like most dashcams it's made in China. That's not a bad thing as some of the best dashcams are made there- along with some junk cams too.

I feel that if a mirror cam was done correctly, it would be a viable choice- but none have ever been done this way. For a similar price there are better cams available and I want folks to have the best cams their money can buy. But it's their money and their choice so...

I cannot feel good recommending any mirror cam, so I won't do that. I also don't recommend Rexing or Autovox products. As a very bottom line I'd say they can be OK, but not always and just barely. There are much better cams and much better companies than these for similar prices. And there are much worse ones too.

Your money, your choice.

Phil
Yea i know. I just wish a good brand would make a mirror dash cam. They sell like crazy on amazon so if there was a decent one, I feel like the company could make a good deal of money

I wish I could advise you better but I can't. I too think there might be a market niche here someone could do well with but it doesn't seem any of the better dashcam manufacturers agree with us as none have entered that market, and the several manufacturers who I communicate with do not seem to be interested in trying.

Their companies, their choice.

Phil

not that I don't believe you but do you have any references for that? Everything I look up says that they are an American start up from CT. I see nothing about them being a Chinese company. I can understand if they are manufactured in china but they seem like an American company to me.
I actually only ever knew them as a Chinese company who later popped up on Amazon selling their stuff, not unusual for Chinese brands that don't find wholesale customers to try and sell their products in other markets themselves

Yea i know. I just wish a good brand would make a mirror dash cam. They sell like crazy on amazon so if there was a decent one, I feel like the company could make a good deal of money
problem is no matter how well you make it, people still take the cheap option when given the choice

Last edited:
What about the VanTop options? I'm not really familiar with them, but they seem to have great reviews on Amazon. I put a U1000 2CH in my mom's car, but she'd like a backup camera too so I've been thinking of adding a RVM dashcam with a backup cam and then doing a review and a comparison with the U1000, heh, speaking of video quality.

What about the VanTop options? I'm not really familiar with them, but they seem to have great reviews on Amazon.
I heard they give away free gifts (like memory cards, etc) for a 5 star review. Allegedly, that's where the high reviews are from. I was surprised, but then I saw the VanTop H610 did not do too well in the official review: https://dashcamtalk.com/vantop-h610/

The WolfBox mirror cams seem pretty nice (on paper at least). Especially the S50.
Would be great if dashcamtalk.com could make a review of this model or any recent mirror cam from WolfBox.

Last edited:

Your money, your choice.

Phil

China is a mixed bag. A country flooded with cheap, low level counterfeits, followed by a litany of poorly made good, with a side dish of many well made products. It all depends whose name is slapped on the product.

Volvo makes their cars in China now. Many tech goods come out of China that are very respectable. All because these companies hire competent factories and demand quality. On the complete opposite side of the spectrum, you've got tons of fakes and crap goods being made, too.

You can see this in the Dash Cam Market. Some really poor quality Cameras and some very good quality cameras.

@viofo
Interesting. Are u allowed to share some specs and or market availabilty?
If the sample is near the finished product, I am guessing about 6 more months?

I am not able to use a mirror camera, for the simple reason my mirror are mounted off the roof some way behind the glass, so any camera there i am sure 50% ( top ) of its footage would be filled with the dotted ares on which other cameras reside.

But it do seem like mirrors hugging the windscreen are most popular now, so no problem finding people to test / buy such a system.

The WolfBox S50 has a detachable front camera, so you can place it anywhere around 15cm from the mirror/display. That's how long the cable is supposed to be.

Back