Best Mounting Location for Viofo A129

YESSSS!!! I did not realize the housing off-center like you said. I have a 2019 Mazda CX-5 and the frit layout on the drivers side is almost like it's meant for a dash cam to hide behind. The passenger side barely has any frit as you can see in the pics. I just held a Viofo A129 Pro in the position of your sticky pad and the cam is surprisingly much smaller in area, but you have the right idea there! As soon as I mount the cam, I'll update and provide some pics. I'm trying to decide between mounting in the frit area or on the back of the sensor housing itself.
I will be glad to have any update after you installation. I did tried to mount on the sensor housing itself, but I found the angel of the lower surface it way too inclined. I adjusted the lens to the bottom but it's still toward to the sky. I don't know if the thick GPS plate mount of A129 will makes it better. Also two things are not good for the mounting: 1, you will need to open the two pieces plastic housing in the future for some repairing (replace the windshield, rearview mirror), 2: the mounting back is not flat enough for the mount, only small stick area can touch to the housing.

I have 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel and I mount as per picture. Just the gps mount is on right now, camera is in the house. Quick disconnect, nothing blocking it. For now I ran the cig.. cable, all tuck and hidden. I do have the 3 wire kit, however, my truck doesn't have the inside fuse, pop off the covers. Some apparently have one, but not mine. Being Diesel, I didn't want to go through firewall. I have to do some research to find one alway hot and one only hot when truck running. Anyone hardwire a dodge ram, let me know where you hook up. It would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
I didn't have the A129 in my old car (Mercury Grand Marquis) for even a year, but it worked fine. Survived most of a summer (last half of July and on) despite our hot weather. Probably the tinted band near the top of the windshield helped some - camera was mounted so that lens was poking out just below that.

Now I have a 2014 Ford Fusion and have started installing the system. I placed front cam on left part of frit, so that I can still see & get to the display & buttons without moving the rearview mirror, yet it isn't in my line of sight.

Have not run cables & hardwire kit yet, but went for a test drive using the USB power cable included with the camera (plugged into a cig lighter USB charger). Seemed to work.

I haven't mounted the rear camera yet. I'm having the rear window tint redone, so no point in using up an adhesive pad just to have to remove it right away.

On my last two installs (the Mercury and a Toyota RAV4), I ran the front-rear connecting cable on the left side of the vehicle. I'm thinking of running it on the right side for my Fusion. That is, along headliner, then above passenger side doors to rear. May work better since I have to go behind curtain and pillar airbags in this car (Mercury didn't have them), and I'm already running the hardwire kit on left side out of necessity.

I have 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel and I mount as per picture...
Can you send a screenshot from the dashcam? I mean the range that the dashcam "sees".
The full view is not obstructed by the lower part of the mirror holder?

Oops, never got notification of your reply. Happen to stumble on it. No it not issue, in fact I can go 1 inch higher and it still within wiper range. No interference from mirror assembly and decal on top of window.

I will move it up, as I started to install the hardwire kit. If one follow the shift cable it takes you to a plug which bring it out to the engine compartment where my TIPEN (fuse box) and battery. I am waiting for parts, fuses, micro2 tap to complete the installed.

I can move the lens, so that it doesn't see the hood or anything else in the vehicle. I have been doing test and moved the camera by accident. I may even put it right behind the mirror. The hardwire kit plug is offset, so can do it, but not with acessory, as it straight plug which will be too much below the mirror housing to my liking.

Once I get it complete I drop a screen shot. Right now I am held up by parts that I didn't know it did not come with the hardwire kit. I have the back camera but will install it, once I finish the front. May even take a look at the IR unit.

So far, I am impress with the A129 Dual 4k by Viofo. No issue even though i am using cheap 32gb I borrow from one of my wyse camera. I have 256gb Scandisk on order, should arrive tomorrow.

I had Nextbase 522gw, return it, as they couldn't fix the issue, not sharp. Bad wifi on it and very buggy app.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.01.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.01.23 PM.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 19
A tip on that 2014 Ford Fusion install: the owner's manual sits on a throne of LIES!

There are a number of fuses marked in the manual as "unused/spare." At least one of them has something to do with the trunk-opening mechanism, because after I pulled the "spare" fuse to use it in the hardwire kit, the trunk stopped opening.

I was too annoyed and late for work already to figure out exactly which slot was the culprit. I do recall it was either a 5A or 10A "spare" fuse that caused the problem. Probably slot #17 or #29, though I'll have to check my notes.

Anyway, A129 is now working in the front. Routing the power cable behind the side trim wasn't too tough. Rear camera is on hold. I got the faulty old tint removed, but have not yet had new, proper tint installed.

You would think they would have a setup done at the factory with so many people adding accessory. I got all the circuit figured and tested. When done I take a picture.

Best place...

Attachments

• 20190616_221146.jpg
    20190616_221146.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190616_221210-1.jpg
    20190616_221210-1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20191009_161519.jpg
    20191009_161519.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20191009_161530.jpg
    20191009_161530.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20191009_161539.jpg
    20191009_161539.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 44
Best place...
Wow, I love that location. Very clean, not super obvious from outside and should have a good view.

Unfortunately, on my 2014 Fusion, the frit area doesn't go down far enough to mount the A129 in the same place. There is no plastic housing to mount on, since I have the simple, non-auto-dimming mirror.

I wanted the frit covering the adhesive pad and shading most of the camera body if possible. It gets really hot here in the summers, and although the A129 was fine through the last few months of last summer, rather not take chances of cooking it.

You would think they would have a setup done at the factory with so many people adding accessory. I got all the circuit figured and tested. When done I take a picture.
Actually some manufacturers did start doing this. On my 2014 Fusion there is a "delayed accessory" slot in the fuse panel. It is the only circuit that is switched on and off with the ignition, so the perfect place for the yellow "ACC" wire on the A129 hardwire kit.

Back