Best Nextbase Camera?

dragonflyuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new car has been fitted with a 322GW, which I have to say I'm a little underwelmed with, I find it very clunky to look at footage, and the image quality is not brilliant, given that it's hard wired, I wondered about upgrading the camera, as I would guess the mounts and rear camera are the same for other NextBase cameras, then I saw all the comments about crap image quality on the 622GW, so what do people think, is it worth upgrading the 322GW, and if so is it woryh getting a 622GW or are some of the others better cameras?

Why Nextbase ?

I had 3 Nextbase dashcams before I saw the light and as you say, I was underwhelmed, especially by the stalk and ball joint mount

I just assumed it would be easier to upgrade, rather than change brand.

Not so. My Viofo A119V3 uses the same mini USB and I'm actually still using a Nextbase hardwire kit.

I don't use parking mode so the Nextbase 2 wire kit suits me fine.

And the V3 is quadHD with a far more solid mount.

If you want to download a V3 3 minute example post back and I'll post a link.

Thanks, Park Mode is fairly important for me, so I'd guess from your comments I might loose that, also I'd have to change the rear camera I assume.

Ah, yes.

I assumed you were just looking for the best Nextbase dashcam. I wasn't aware of your requirements.

If you were to change brands you would likely need to rewire to a 3 wire kit.

I find it very clunky to look at footage
In what way "clunky"?

IIRC, there are several ways to review footage from the 322GW:
  1. Directly on the camera, without removing it from its mount.
  2. Directly on the camera, having removed it from its mount (and, probably, plugged it into a powered USB port such as a phone charger or PC, via a MiniUSB cable).
  3. On a PC, via the camera's MiniUSB connection.
  4. On a PC, phone, or tablet, by moving the MicroSD card from the camera to the PC/phone/tablet. (You might need to buy a MicroSD card reader, if your PC/phone/tablet does not have one built-in.)
  5. On a PC monitor or TV, via HDMI cable.
  6. Over WiFi, via Nextbase's app.

There aren't many cameras that offer a greater range of options than this, for reviewing footage. BlackVue has "cloud"-connected cameras, but in addition to the inevitable privacy/security/etc issues that come with "the cloud" generally, users report dissatisfaction with BlackVue's implementation specifically.

the image quality is not brilliant

On mine, the image quality is fine. If glare, or dashboard reflections in the windscreen, are reducing image quality for you, try Nextbase's CPL ("circular polarising lens") filter - this does a lot to reduce those problems.

If you're talking about resolution, well, yeah, it's a 1080p camera. But if someone crashes into you, even at night, they'll be close enough for the camera to typically make out a UK license plate clearly as long as it's within the camera's field of view. (I know this from experience...)

I would guess the mounts and rear camera are the same for other NextBase cameras, then I saw all the comments about crap image quality on the 622GW, so what do people think, is it worth upgrading the 322GW, and if so is it woryh getting a 622GW or are some of the others better cameras?

Any of the "2"-series Nextbase cameras should be compatible with your 322GW's mount. If you've got the magnetic mount, especially, then it's easy as pie to swap in a different camera from the same series.

Is it worth upgrading? IMO depends what you want. To compare features within Nextbase's "2" series, look at p.45 of the manual.

Personally, I think the 322GW is an ideal camera to keep using while you're learning what you want from a dashcam. Once you know what that is and once you've identified an affordable dashcam that offers it (good luck!), only then is it likely to be worth jumping ship. Otherwise, you may well just find yourself back in the same boat, thinking the grass is greener elsewhere. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors!)

I've had 3 Nextbase dashcams before I came here and read user reviews.

I would never touch any Nextbase dash cam on a stalk again because of the vibration over less than perfect roads.

I'm also quite alarmed with the number of series 2 problem posts we get here with battery and SDCard problems. I've never before heard of a card requiring fortnightly formatting. My current setup, all I do is cut/paste weekly and save the footage for a few months, just in case. Not formatted the card in years.

In Nextbase favour I do hope their next series is different as their customer service is good.

Back