Best night vision cams

uscpsycho

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! Long time reader and first time poster looking to buy a dashcam primarily to nab someone who is keying my car in an underground parking lot with average light. The most important factor is night time recording. I know the Street Guardian SG9665GC is king of the hill for night video but it's also by far the most expensive. I'm wondering if I'll sacrifice much by going with something cheaper.

The camera has to be pointed backwards from the dashboard towards the side windows because this jerk likes to key the car on my doors. The cameras with 170-degree field of view are probably good in this situation since they can more easily capture both windows at the same time. I also want to try to conceal the camera in some fashion so that the perpetrator doesn't know he's being recorded. So I also wonder if the wedge shape of the SG9665GC is ideal for this application?

Other options I've researched that sound fit for the job are the Rexing V1 (also a wedge), Mini 0806 (is 0803 better at night?), Mobius C2 or B40C/A118C (also wedges). Is there anything else I should consider? The Mobius will be easy to conceal but I'm worried about the fact that it runs on a AA battery. I think the usability of a Mobius as a dashcam in the long run is limited and I do want to use whatever I buy as a dashcam as well.

I already have a GoPro so I wonder if that's the best for this application since I already own that.

Side question: Which one has the most reliable motion detection for a car that's sitting in a parking lot? I know motion detection can be unreliable outside because of lighting changes, tree branches moving, etc. But is there a good night camera with motion detection that will be reliable underground? If not I'll just set the camera to record all day/night but good motion detection would be a plus.

I have one last general question about all these cameras. My car doesn't supply power through the cigarette lighter when it is off. Can these cameras be operated off a USB backup battery? How long would 10,000 mah last?

Thanks!

Welcome to the board!
How will you point wedge camera backwards?
That won't work.

Get something with Sony sensor for better night video quality.

The Mobius will be easy to conceal but I'm worried about the fact that it runs on a AA battery. I think the usability of a Mobius as a dashcam in the long run is limited and I do want to use whatever I buy as a dashcam as well ... Can these cameras be operated off a USB backup battery? How long would 10,000 mah last?

Mobius is excellent as a dashcam. I've used one for over 2 years, with no problems. Mobius uses an 820mAh LiPo battery that lasts 2 hours between charges. It can also be externally powered via the car's accessory socket or USB power bank.

I have an Anker Astro E4 13000mAh. Other brands are available. It's powered Mobius overnight when my car was in a hotel car park. After around 10 hours use from fully charged, 3 of the 4 charge indicator LEDs on the Anker were lit, indicating it still held between 50% to 75% charge.

Welcome to the board!
How will you point wedge camera backwards?
That won't work.

Get something with Sony sensor for better night video quality.
What are some of the options with a Sony sensor?

If I get a wedge I'd have to place it somewhere other the windshield for recording. Regardless of which camera I get I'm going to conceal it rather than have it right on the windshield in plain view.

I'm not crazy about Mobius as a dashcam because there's no interface. No way to see if it's pointed properly. No way to know how much space you have left, no good sensor, etc. I feel like it's a good dashcam for occasional use but not as an all-the-time dashcam. Maybe I'd get used to operating blind but I feel like if want visual feedback. I don't even think it has an lcd screen like gopro. Speaking of gopro, why Mobius over gopro?

GoPro is a great action cam but a lousy dashcam

Joovuu X might suit what you want (not released just yet), no screen but has a wifi mobile app

What are some of the options with a Sony sensor?

If I get a wedge I'd have to place it somewhere other the windshield for recording. Regardless of which camera I get I'm going to conceal it rather than have it right on the windshield in plain view.

I'm not crazy about Mobius as a dashcam because there's no interface. No way to see if it's pointed properly. No way to know how much space you have left, no good sensor, etc. I feel like it's a good dashcam for occasional use but not as an all-the-time dashcam. Maybe I'd get used to operating blind but I feel like if want visual feedback. I don't even think it has an lcd screen like gopro. Speaking of gopro, why Mobius over gopro?
Git1
My review and footage as a dashcam here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...o-wi-fi-waterproof-1080p-action-camera.14334/

Last edited:
You don’t want to invest in a dash camera for your car that only works during part of the day, which is why it pays to stick to the dash cams that work just as well at night as they do during peak daylight hours. Researching top dash cams that work well at night allows you to choose from dash cams that will keep you protected using clear and visible footage regardless of lighting conditions, so you can feel safe in your investment.

Viofo G1W-S is good, and I believe under £50 ($65ish?), one of the cheapest cams that uses a Sony sensor

A Novatek 650 + IMX323 based dashcam with custom tweaked firmware (CPL filter installed).

Back