Best options for next dashcam

Turbine

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hey all
Looking for my next dashcam. Had Viofo for several years now.. It's time to upgrade with my new vehicle arriving in the next few months.

Main demands:

1) 4K Resolution ( Stravis 2 sensor if possible )
2) 2CH Camera with parking mode capabilities
3) LTE Connectivity ( With remote play and live stream from car, GPS logging )

What are my best options?

Hey all
Looking for my next dashcam. Had Viofo for several years now.. It's time to upgrade with my new vehicle arriving in the next few months.

Main demands:

The only STARVIS 2 dashcam is the Viofo a139 pro, released in December 2022. I was also considering upgrading from my circa 2016 Blackvue DR750S-2ch. I understand, the Viofo iOS app is crap, so I’m still waiting for another option.

For me the Viofo APP have always worked, but i must stress it is not a thing i use often, so pretty much just in relation with a new firmware install and having to set settings again.
Most dashcam apps seem to be much like, but i do like the twist Vantrue have on their APP.

The only STARVIS 2 dashcam is the Viofo a139 pro, released in December 2022. I was also considering upgrading from my circa 2016 Blackvue DR750S-2ch. I understand, the Viofo iOS app is crap, so I’m still waiting for another option.
I have a Viofo but I mostly use a 3rd party app with their camera. This one records directly to my phone and notifies me when someone gets too close to my car: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unicordia.dc_free. However, it streams over WIFI not over LTE.

So, what do you do when you’re not at your home Wi-Fi? Do you have a hotspot in your vehicle?

I use my old phone as a hotspot, I keep it hidden in the trunk

I have a Viofo but I mostly use a 3rd party app with their camera. This one records directly to my phone and notifies me when someone gets too close to my car: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unicordia.dc_free. However, it streams over WIFI not over LTE.
Oh wow didn’t knew there is an option like this.
There is an 3rd party app for ios as well ?

I wish some brand will finally make good lte dashcam ! Even the new blackvue is so so

Im not sure about ios. I kind of feel the same way..

I wish some brand will finally make good lte dashcam

It remain to be seen if Israeli made dride 4K will be any better, not that i have any experience with smart cameras, but i am on board with their kickstarter.

It remain to be seen if Israeli made dride 4K will be any better, not that i have any experience with smart cameras, but i am on board with their kickstarter.
Didn’t knew about Dride. Seems promising, but still Starvis 1 sensor :/
Hope they change it to Starvis 2 by production time.

That will not happen, the project are already over a year late, and many backers not happy at all.
The IMX 415 still a OK sensor, most often able to be improved on by modders, the big question is, are the brand going to do anything.

The systems if they ship, seemingly now only the front camera will ship and then later the rear camera, even if it is my understanding that the inside of both cameras are pretty much the same, making me a bit suspicious.

Main demands:

The best options (mostly) meeting those criteria are probably:
  • Thinkware U1000. Works with Thinkware Radar for an energy-saving parking mode that can still potentially capture moment-of-impact. No screen, so you need to use the app or access directly via HTTP or RTSP.
  • Thinkware Q1000. Ditto re: radar. 1440p ("2K") instead of 4K, but that means potentially better clarity (or less blur), from greater pixel area? No screen, so you need to use the app or access directly via HTTP or RTSP.
  • Thinkware X1000. Ditto re: radar. Has a screen so no need for an app. No Wifi/LTE/Bluetooth.
  • Viofo A129 Pro. Has a screen, so no app needed.
  • Viofo A139 Pro. No screen, so you need to use the app or access directly via HTTP or RTSP.
  • Some BlackVue cameras. Sorry, I'm not sure which ones. These are best if you want "cloud" connectivity and don't care much about privacy/security.

That will not happen, the project are already over a year late, and many backers not happy at all.
The IMX 415 still a OK sensor, most often able to be improved on by modders, the big question is, are the brand going to do anything.

The systems if they ship, seemingly now only the front camera will ship and then later the rear camera, even if it is my understanding that the inside of both cameras are pretty much the same, making me a bit suspicious.
Would you prefer the Dride 4k LTE over the new blackvue 970X ?
Just thinking about pre-order the Dride 4K

The best options (mostly) meeting those criteria are probably:
  • Thinkware U1000. Works with Thinkware Radar for an energy-saving parking mode that can still potentially capture moment-of-impact. No screen, so you need to use the app or access directly via HTTP or RTSP.
  • Thinkware Q1000. Ditto re: radar. 1440p ("2K") instead of 4K, but that means potentially better clarity (or less blur), from greater pixel area? No screen, so you need to use the app or access directly via HTTP or RTSP.
  • Thinkware X1000. Ditto re: radar. Has a screen so no need for an app. No Wifi/LTE/Bluetooth.
  • Viofo A129 Pro. Has a screen, so no app needed.
  • Viofo A139 Pro. No screen, so you need to use the app or access directly via HTTP or RTSP.
  • Some BlackVue cameras. Sorry, I'm not sure which ones. These are best if you want "cloud" connectivity and don't care much about privacy/security.
Most of this options don't have LTE connectivity
Maybe Viofo will step up and starting to think about LTE dashcams

Most of this options don't have LTE connectivity

Maybe not built-in, but with a mobile hotspot (MiFi, GL.iNet, Huawei, etc), or a dashcam-specific LTE modem (BlackVue CM100LTE), some Wi-Fi cameras can be made to act like they have LTE built in. Or if you're willing to give up LTE, the X1000 is a premium 4K dashcam with radar parking mode.

Anyway, I've now had a chance to read BlackVue's literature, and if you want something matching all your criteria, their DR970X-2CH LTE would probably be of interest to you. They offer a "GL" (global) variant of that camera, for use outside North America.

Last edited:
I would go with the Blackvue, no telling if the Dride ever become anything, even if they have actually made a camera before.

I would go with the Blackvue, no telling if the Dride ever become anything, even if they have actually made a camera before.
yeah.. that’s the safe gamble. But very pricey considering i have shipping pricey. And they charge more for parking mode, storage, and taxes because I’m from Israel. I think i will make a bet on Dride. They offer nice specs for 349$
Plus - after seeing the A139pro and 970x comparison - I don’t really impressed by the blackvue.
Jesus - what a guy wanted. A good 4k lte cam

yeah.. that’s the safe gamble. But very pricey considering i have shipping pricey. And they charge more for parking mode, storage, and taxes because I’m from Israel. I think i will make a bet on Dride.

BlackVue software seems to have turned into bloatware recently - another reason to maybe try Dride instead.

@Turbine, if you get the Dride, please post an update on the forum to let us know if it is any good.

Back