Best place to mount dash cam besides windshield

NickZ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I'm in the US, and I'll be using my dash-cam in states that don't allow windshield mounting. Also, what kind of mount will I need to buy?

Thank you in advance.

States I will be using the camera in: Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, North Carolina.

There are 3 options:
1. to mount on dashboard, but you have to find out if this is allowed
2. use dashcams with remote waterproof lens so you can mount outside car ( front radiator grill ), but dowside is it get dirty and you have to clean it on daily basis.
3. buy dashcam which can be mounted on RV mirror or on uses RV mirror arm as mounting solution. - technically this mounting is not "mounted on windshield", but again you have to confirm what law exactly says.
One more option is to buy clip-on RVmirror DVR, but again need to confirm if this is allowed by law.

You can mount many cams to mirror stems and on sensor housings to circumvent prohibitions of windshield mounting ;) Personally it's not something I'm worried about as a discreet enough mounting will likely not be noticed. The varied laws in different states is ridiculous but it's what we've got :rolleyes: I'd avoid the RVM cams- most of them are junk and none of them meets FMVSS federal safety standards here in the US, though again I wouldn't worry about that either. YMMV

Phil

You can mount many cams to mirror stems and on sensor housings to circumvent prohibitions of windshield mounting ;) Personally it's not something I'm worried about as a discreet enough mounting will likely not be noticed. The varied laws in different states is ridiculous but it's what we've got :rolleyes: I'd avoid the RVM cams- most of them are junk and none of them meets FMVSS federal safety standards here in the US, though again I wouldn't worry about that either. YMMV

Phil

I think it would be ok if I mount it near the rear view mirror, don't you think? Probably as long it's not in the middle of the windshield.

I cannot advise you to possibly break any laws.
I can say that I'll always have a dashcam no matter what the law says ;)

Phil

I think it would be ok if I mount it near the rear view mirror, don't you think? Probably as long it's not in the middle of the windshield.

if it obstructed your view then I'm sure the police would have an issue with that, I'd think that was pretty fair on their behalf in that case anyway

I cannot advise you to possibly break any laws.
I can say that I'll always have a dashcam no matter what the law says ;)

Phil

:) I think I'll just mount it where i said, hopefully it won't be noticable.
Where do you mount yours, if you don't mind me asking?

Here's my current front set-up: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/25523/
The SG9663DC will go in the middle when I get it- not sure where the Mobius will go then. Probably top left where my G1W-S was when I was initially testing it. Here in SC anything above the 'a1' tint line is legal, as is anything which does not block any of a driver's necessary view. I'll eventually add darker tint to the 'a1' line since I'm not tall and it won't impair my vision of anything except this blasted hot summer sun :p

There's one state (cant recall which) that allows only it's inspection sticker on the windshield with an exemption for road-toll transponders. I've never heard of anyone getting busted for a reasonably well mounted dashcam though in the UK it may cause a hassle with their MOT safety inspections. If that's your only infraction most Cops will probably just tell you to take it down and don't put it back, and let you go if you comply with a smile. As weird as laws are here in the US you've got to look into them locally :rolleyes: Here in SC a blocked driver's view would be a minor traffic offense unless you were involved in a crash. About $65 if you claim ignorance, have a decent driving record, and smile for the judge's jokes. Have a bad attitude and it will be more like $265 :rolleyes: No license points and no insurance increases if no crash. Hire the right lawyer and they'll drop the charges on stuff like this rather than having him tie up their courtroom and a jury for half a day :whistle: I have the right lawyers which is why I really don't care what the law says on things like this :D

Phil

Here's my current front set-up: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/25523/
The SG9663DC will go in the middle when I get it- not sure where the Mobius will go then. Probably top left where my G1W-S was when I was initially testing it. Here in SC anything above the 'a1' tint line is legal, as is anything which does not block any of a driver's necessary view. I'll eventually add darker tint to the 'a1' line since I'm not tall and it won't impair my vision of anything except this blasted hot summer sun :p

There's one state (cant recall which) that allows only it's inspection sticker on the windshield with an exemption for road-toll transponders. I've never heard of anyone getting busted for a reasonably well mounted dashcam though in the UK it may cause a hassle with their MOT safety inspections. If that's your only infraction most Cops will probably just tell you to take it down and don't put it back, and let you go if you comply with a smile. As weird as laws are here in the US you've got to look into them locally :rolleyes: Here in SC a blocked driver's view would be a minor traffic offense unless you were involved in a crash. About $65 if you claim ignorance, have a decent driving record, and smile for the judge's jokes. Have a bad attitude and it will be more like $265 :rolleyes: No license points and no insurance increases if no crash. Hire the right lawyer and they'll drop the charges on stuff like this rather than having him tie up their courtroom and a jury for half a day :whistle: I have the right lawyers which is why I really don't care what the law says on things like this :D

Phil

Now I'm slightly worried. I'm driving through 4 states, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to check all of the local laws. Is there any neutral place that I can put the cam, so it's hidden?

;)

Mount it discreetly and go. Cops have bigger worries than this. Be nice if you get pulled over and perhaps you might find they are interested in knowing something about dashcams :)

I was once stopped by a County Deputy who "mistook" the blue stepladder on top of my oogly 30-year old van as a blue light (previous van, got a much nicer one now). He said he saw all my antennas and just wanted to check. Turned out he was a fellow Ham radio operator and we talked radio a bit and I told him where to find the local Hams (he was new to the area). I knew the 'blue light mistake' was total BS and so did he but the cooperative attitude on my end solved whatever problem he had :whistle:

Phil

Mount it discreetly and go. Cops have bigger worries than this. Be nice if you get pulled over and perhaps you might find they are interested in knowing something about dashcams :)

I was once stopped by a County Deputy who "mistook" the blue stepladder on top of my oogly 30-year old van as a blue light (previous van, got a much nicer one now). He said he saw all my antennas and just wanted to check. Turned out he was a fellow Ham radio operator and we talked radio a bit and I told him where to find the local Hams (he was new to the area). I knew the 'blue light mistake' was total BS and so did he but the cooperative attitude on my end solved whatever problem he had :whistle:

Phil

Do you think a suction cup mount for the cam would stick to the dash? I haven't recieved mine yet, or else I would check.

Not likely. Those need smoothness like glass to stick. I've got my side cams suctioned to smooth metal. A plastic container lid will do if you can figure out a way to stick that to the dash- BluTack perhaps? Sometimes you just have to be creative :D

Phil

Now I'm slightly worried. I'm driving through 4 states, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to check all of the local laws. Is there any neutral place that I can put the cam, so it's hidden?

;)
I think you're overthinking the issue. I've not heard of one person being cited for a dash cam.

Just mount it up high, behind the RVM and, if necessary, off to the passenger side so it's not in (or minimally in) your FOV. Many vehicles have toll transponders, SatNav units, inspection stickers, parking passes, etc. on their windshields and nothing happens so it's not an issue that police are looking for actively.

I think you're overthinking the issue. I've not heard of one person being cited for a dash cam.

Just mount it up high, behind the RVM and, if necessary, off to the passenger side so it's not in (or minimally in) your FOV. Many vehicles have toll transponders, SatNav units, inspection stickers, parking passes, etc. on their windshields and nothing happens so it's not an issue that police are looking for actively.

I think I'll just mount it under the rear view mirror, on the passenger side. My cam came with a 3M sticker, but I contacted the conpany, and got a suction cup. Do the suction cups work well, because that's what I plan on using.

Thanks!

...Do the suction cups work well, because that's what I plan on using.

Thanks!
Depends, some are better than others - but none will be a 'permanent' mount, meaning it's likely all will lose suction at some point. Since your concern seems to be a discrete mount my 'gut feel' is a suction mount will be less so than the 3M, but that's something you'll have to compare once you get it if you don't have it already.

That's BS, my Mazda has a factory installed camera and a Laser on the windshield.

...I've never heard of anyone getting busted for a reasonably well mounted dashcam though in the UK it may cause a hassle with their MOT safety inspections.....
Phil

Provided you are sensible, a dashcam shouldn't really present a problem for MOT tests here. For those not aware, the MOT is a "rad worthy" test that is an annual inspection every 12 months from a cars third birthday. The test tries to ensure that the vehicle is safe - so any serious rust (structural, especially near suspension mounts), worn tyres, brakes, suspension and so on will cause a failure.

In terms of the windscreen this diagram sums it up:

dMFTPnW5.jpg

For the most part, this is really about chips in the windscreen, but one can interpret this to cover anything that can cover obstructions. The thing about an MOT test is its purely on the tester's interpretation - he may regard something a failure or a warning (known as an advisory) whereas another tester wouldn't raise the issue.

In recent times, aftermarket sat nav screens stuck to windscreens and also things hanging down from the rear view mirror have come under scrutiny - technically the tester can fail an air freshener hanging from the mirror if they were so inclined (for example: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/4244810/Cars-fail-MOT-test-for-furry-dice.html) . In reality many testers are conscientious enough to either suggest the owner removes such items or maybe ensures they are removed before the test itself - testers have to be careful as they are only allowed to test a car as presented - they are not allowed to dismantle or remove parts of the vehicle (for example, if a vehicle has an undertray they are not allowed to remove it - all they can do is note the area was not checked.

So the vast majority of dashcams are fine if mounted out of the way - tucked behind the mirror or placed in such a position that they do not obstruct the view. Mounting cameras as in the image below would likely be a failure - and with due cause I'd say.

CarClinicWindscreen.jpg

Here you cant have anything that obstruct your view out the windscreen if you go by the law, but still people have a lot of "poo" on their windshields.

1: phones - tablets and / or NAV units, most often put right smack in the middle of everything. ( i have seen a car with one of each on the windscreen one on top of the other effercively making a wide illuminated bar down the middle of his windscreen )
2: stuff dangling from the mirror, mostly seen with people that have a heritage towards the deep south east, and most often of the muslin religion or use to be anyway.
But even pure bread Danes will do this too, pure bread Danes will even talk like a 1 generation immigrant, apparently as that's bad ass gangsta or something :rolleyes:

But it matter little its not like it is something the police are bothered about, not even in COP programs on TV where they have a guy with a video camera running behind them.
They will happily fine you for speeding and or using a phone while driving, but the fat ass NAV unit right smack in the middle of the windscreen get no mention, or the beads and what not crab some people have dangling from the mirror.
According to the law even a thin wire are not allowed.

Personally i have a lot on my windscreen in the form of dashcams, but they are all above the mirror on the gritted area and only just peek below it, and i can barely see them behind the mirror from my driver position.

And i cam record all the video and audio i like, the problem arise in me posting some of it on youtube, but i will keep doing that until a judge tell me not to.

If you have a newer car with one of those large and silly sensor arrays down the middle of the windscreen, you might be able to mount off that, that's not the window as far as im concerned, but i figure its a matter of legal semantics.
Maybe have a look in the "where did you mount your camera" thread, start from the back / newest and work your way back in time and camera design.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-54

Last edited:
Behind RVM is pretty much your only option or dash or visor top towards the centre of the car. You can't mount it at the sides on any car that has side airbags or in the event of a crash you may become the first person to film themselves getting killed by a dashcam!

Back