Best place to put cam?

curtst

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know the best place to typically place these cams is in the center usually behind the mirror. Problem is my car has a lane keep system located behind the mirror, kind of like in this image http://cdn0.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net/art/car tech/2017 Ford Fusion/2017 Ford Fusion mirror-420-90.jpg though I think mine is just a bit larger.

Just curious where the best place to put the cam that will still give the cam the best possible unobstructed FOV and not leave anything out?

Thanks all and have a great new years!

I have the same issue. Mounting on the sensor cover worked for me.

SensorMount.jpg

I didn't even consider that. Will have to take a look. I think my cover is a little bigger than that. We shall see.

I have it on the right of my rear-view mirror along with radar and other devices. Putting in the center under the rear-view mirror defeats the purpose of discretion; my cam now is behind the tinted strip. Putting it on the left of the rear-view mirror impedes driver's view. A few inches off center won't drastically change your FOV. Record a video by moving the cam into different position to see what changes.

I also have this problem, but can't put dashcam on the sensors cover because it isn't flat, it's rather round. I usually put dashcam to the right of the mirror. In case of A119S when I can't correct view because of 3M mounting and still lens I decided to put dashcam in the left of the mirror, because in my country we drive on the right lane so it's more important to direct dashcam slightly to the left on the opposite lane. For me it's even logic ;) .

I decided to put dashcam in the left of the mirror, because in my country we drive on the right lane so it's more important to direct dashcam slightly to the left on the opposite lane. For me it's even logic ;) .

drivers side is a good choice, it gives a better view across the lanes

With such FOV it doesn't really matter though.
More important is the side the ssd card slot is located. Since it's on the left side, mounting the camera right side of the rear mirror might cause removing/inserting the ssd difficult.
IMO the best place for this camera is dotted area of the top of windshield. As hight as possible. This way it's only lens might be visible from outside. Barely visible.

Well, unfortunately the lane keeping system box is much larger in my car than others. I can't find a place to put the cam that won't have it in full view of people outside the car or the cams view being partially blocked or it being well within my field of view.

Just got my camera today and having this same issue. I have a very large sensor cover on mine and I believe on the driver side of the mirror, the light sensor to dim the mirror is there. I will be looking more into this but it's become a huge pain to decide where to mount this thing. :p

Just got my camera today and having this same issue. I have a very large sensor cover on mine and I believe on the driver side of the mirror, the light sensor to dim the mirror is there. I will be looking more into this but it's become a huge pain to decide where to mount this thing. :p

Yeah, I bought my cam several months ago and still haven't put it up. I can't find a 0lace where the cam won't block my FOV or where the cams FOV won't be block and at least somewhat hidden from prying eyes.

I have the same issue. Mounting on the sensor cover worked for me.

Didn't consider doing that; personally, I wouldn't want to come close to touching the sensor in my car.
I placed mine on the left side of the sensor (Driver Side) and a bit further down because of the small black tint on the windshield.
Will provide a picture later.

...personally, I wouldn't want to come close to touching the sensor in my car....
It's not the sensor - just a plastic cover. Nothing magic or high tech about it.

Best thing is it's NOT on the windshield which is illegal in a number of states. California allows them but limits the size. Five square inches is pretty small. 2" x 3" is 6 square inches.

Electronic traffic management, toll or video event recorders are permitted on the windshield providing they are no larger than five square inches.

Last edited:
It's not the sensor - just a plastic cover. Nothing magic or high tech about it.

Best thing is it's NOT on the windshield which is illegal in a number of states. California allows them but limits the size. Five square inches is pretty small. 2" x 3" is 6 square inches.

Electronic traffic management, toll or video event recorders are permitted on the windshield providing they are no larger than five square inches.

Yeah, I get ya. But lets say you have to remove it. I don't want to pull on the cover.

Yeah, I get ya. But lets say you have to remove it. I don't want to pull on the cover.
I've taken mine off and replaced it a number of times - not an issue, just need to be a bit careful.

BTW - the A119 dimensions are 5.7 x 4.1 x 3.5 which works out to about 23 square inches so definitely not within the CA size limits.

Sounds like cubic inches, its footprint is a lot less than that
5.7 times 4.1 = 23.37 (I got the dimensions from an Amazon product listing)

This is for the camera not the mount which would be smaller but law enforcement would be looking at the visual area being obstructed.

But lets say you have to remove it. I don't want to pull on the cover.
I've taken mine off and replaced it a number of times - not an issue, just need to be a bit careful.
I moved mine a number of times without a problem. you just pull it off slowly.

I think you'd measure only the portion which would be seen in the windshield area from the driver's position but I'm no expert in California law. And they may also be speaking of the area below the "A-1" tint line, above which most states do not count as being part of the usable windshield. Never heard of anyone having problems with this in the USA ;) While most laws are well-defined, their intent also has legal bearing and if your vision isn't being unacceptably obstructed then it would be tough to prosecute such a case (such as having most of the cam behind the mirror- a required visual obstruction). Personally I wouldn't worry about it; YMMV :)

Phil

Back