Best resolution for the production A119?

What resolution do you use?

• 2304x1296P 30fps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1280x720P 120fps

• 1280x720P 60fps

• 1280x720P 30fps

• Total voters

DashBoat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 & A139
The A119 is one of the few cameras supporting 1080P @ 60fps, so instead of trying to figure out what works best, I was hoping others can share their preferences/experience.

Options are:
  • 2560x1440P 30fps
  • 2304x1296P 30fps
  • 1920x1080P 60fps
  • 1920x1080P 30fps
  • 1280x720P 120fps
  • 1280x720P 60fps
  • 1280x720P 30fps
So the question is, do I want 60fps to increase the chances to catch a readable license plate when moving (especially US plates, which are not as easy to read), or get more pixels?

Without knowing how each setting affects shutter speed, etc, it's hard to tell.

Thoughts?

Most of the time using 60fps will make no difference to the shutter speed etc., but it will give you 1 extra frame where the plate is closer and so maybe easier to read.

The 2560 resolution is presumably at the native resolution of the sensor and so will not have any interpolation, it will be the best quality image available which should make reading plates significantly easier than 1080, if you zoom in then you are likely to have a similar resolution as with the extra and closer frame using 60fps but with a better quality image.

I think Viofo recommended using 2560...

Good point about the native resolution, totally forgot about that, so I guess that answers that question.

at 2560x1440 resolution, how much video one expect to record on a 32GB micro sd?

License plates and small lettering on signs were easier to see and read with 1440p30. Even when viewing cars coming from the opposite direction with closing speeds of 80-100mph. You could still read them with 1080p60 it's just that they were not as clear.

We suggest 2560*1440P 30fps resolution.

Given that 1920x1080p30 is half the frame rate as th 60p option shouldn't there be more light per frame available... hence producing a clearer image at night? I was thinking of using this option due to better night illumination per frame... but perhaps I am wrong.

Given that 1920x1080p30 is half the frame rate as th 60p option shouldn't there be more light per frame available... hence producing a clearer image at night? I was thinking of using this option due to better night illumination per frame... but perhaps I am wrong.
Not more light. Just an extra frame, so should be less blur.

Not more light. Just an extra frame, so should be less blur.
So if I understand well the picture at 1920x1080p30 will be less blurry than at 1920x1080p60 frames per seconds... unless it is the reverse... where because there is half the number of frames to capture per second the shutter speed can be halved to maximize the amount of time the sensor is exposed to light... but result in blurrier images since it gives more time for object movement to be captured...

I guess I will have to do some testing when I get the camera. I just ordered it today from Amazon (sold by BAIKLOV). Will take a month to get it ;-(

Last edited:
I'm just curious, but why did you buy from BAIKLOV, when SpyTec offers it at a lower price from AMAZON CA?

And faster shipping also.

RodeoGeorge

I'm just curious, but why did you buy from BAIKLOV, when SpyTec offers it at a lower price from AMAZON CA?

And faster shipping also.

RodeoGeorge
I don't think Spytec has the A119 on Amazon.ca yet.

I just checked AMAZON.CA, and it's there.

RodeoGeorge

I apologize.

You are correct.

I searched for "A119", and wne I scrolled down saw the SpyTec. I failed to read it was the A118.

Again, my apologies.

RodeoGeorge

I've test this quite a bit, it really depends on what you're setting it up for. If you want to capture detail on the plates, 1440p at 30fps. The option of having the 1080p at 60fps is really nice, I will definitely use that when mt driving or tracking =) Just the fluidity is awesome, the detail is about 10ft less than 1440p.

Honestly, I still toggle between 1440p and 1080p 60fps from time to time. After the novelty wears out for me, I will have it set on 1440p for daily driving just because of the better picture quality and detail.

If the light is low enough for the shutter speed to drop to 1/30th second then 60 fps (1/60s longest exposure time) should improve motion blur. Longer exposures where objects are moving is not much use as things just become a blur, especially when they are close to the camera.

I apologize.

You are correct.

I searched for "A119", and wne I scrolled down saw the SpyTec. I failed to read it was the A118.

Again, my apologies.

RodeoGeorge
No problem. Apparently I will get the unit rather quickly since I just got a Canadapost tracking #. I expected the unit to ship from China but apparently it is shipping from Canada. Yeah!

Re: Viofo A119 camera. I have found that setting the loop length to 10 minutes will prevent the camera from using 1920x1080 60fps. It seems to lockup the camera and wont allow you to get into the menu to change the resolution. You have to power off and remove the sd card then power on and set the resolution to one of the 30fps settings, power off again then reseat the sd card. Setting it to 5 minutes works just fine. Not sure if that is a bug or not. I would prefer 10 minute loops.

I prefer 1920x1080 setting because that is the highest resolution I can display on my PC. 2K displays and cards are still a bit expnsive and I am not willing to upgrade just to occasionly play a video. Playing the higher resolutions on a 1920x1080 display seems to looks very grainy.

I really like the stealth of this camera and the GPS. I just purchased it last week so we will see how durable it is.

Back