Best settings for a all night time lapse of the stars?

Kilumnati

Reaction score
Country
Canada
please has anyone know what settings to use, and also what ac adaptor should i use for power as the battery would probably not last all night. thanks..

I use a USB power bank rather than an AC adaptor. Only needs a medium size one to last all night, if it runs out then the Git2 will then use it's own battery.

Probably turn the gyro off, unless that gives you a FOV that is too wide.

You need to use photo timelapse, not video timelapse and set the ISO and shutter speed, what values depends on how much light pollution you have, a good starting point is ISO 800 and 30 seconds. ISO 1600 isn't quite as sharp as 800 but is necessary if you want to get the milky way, 60 seconds will add small star trails but is also necessary for the milky way.

Then you convert the photos into a video on your computer.

It's best to point it towards the north star, looking south will give much longer start trails on each photo. Although you might want to make sure the ISS will go through the view, it's easy to look up it's path and point the camera appropriately.

im in the city as i will be doing it from my Deck, I doubt i will see the milky way as where i live, also is photo timelapse in a different settings? I have only done one timelapse in the day not sure if it was video or photo?

Last edited:
Shoot in RAW, turn off the Gyro and also lock in the WB.

Use timelapse mode - 30-60 second exposures, 800 to 1600ISO

Shooting away from light pollution around a new moon will give you better skies.

k thanks, also what usb power bank do you use? I also have a power plug near by also

Well try ISO 800 and 30 seconds, but you may have to reduce it down to 15 seconds if you have bright street lighting.

Also, if you have orange street lights then it is worth setting the white balance to tungsten otherwise everything will look orange.

Photo timelapse is with the camera in photo mode and it gives jpg images, video timelapse is in video mode and gives an mpg video, however video just doesn't collect enough light for the stars, it can get the moon and the ISS but that is about it.

Well try ISO 800 and 30 seconds, but you may have to reduce it down to 15 seconds if you have bright street lighting.

Also, if you have orange street lights then it is worth setting the white balance to tungsten otherwise everything will look orange.

Photo timelapse is with the camera in photo mode and it gives jpg images, video timelapse is in video mode and gives an mpg video, however video just doesn't collect enough light for the stars, it can get the moon and the ISS but that is about it.
k thanks, ya i have street lights which are yellow thanks

Raw will take a lot of work, biggest issue is that it doesn't do hot/warm pixel correction for the raw image so unless you do it yourself the images for a 30 second exposure are terrible!

Also it takes a bit of time to write the raw image to memory card which leaves gaps in the star trails if you are taking images as fast as possible, and if you are making a video then for 30 second exposures you will want to go as fast as possible - 1 frame every 30 seconds (set timelapse to the fastest setting, not 30 seconds).

Raw will take a lot of work, biggest issue is that it doesn't do hot/warm pixel correction for the raw image so unless you do it yourself the images for a 30 second exposure are terrible!

Also it takes a bit of time to write the raw image to memory card which leaves gaps in the star trails if you are taking images as fast as possible, and if you are making a video then for 30 second exposures you will want to go as fast as possible - 1 frame every 30 seconds (set timelapse to the fastest setting, not 30 seconds).
So use photo mode or video mode then

Back