Best settings for 'always on' 12V socket?

Rarinrob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I was given an SG9665GC for Christmas (via Hiniko), following a request from me. So far so good, although the micro SD card was only delivered today, so testing has only just started.

I drive a Mk2 Ford Focus ST, which has 12V sockets that remain powered when the car is turned off. So, currently I have the camera plugged into one of the sockets and am turning the camera on and off every time I start/stop driving. I don't want to hard-wire it into the car because I don't have the tech know-how and don't want to have to pay a garage to do this for me.

I may try using the motion detection feature but, as I understand it, the camera will be powered up all of the time because recording pauses when motion ceases and then starts up again when it's detected. I presume the auto power off setting won't activate in this situation because the recording is always treated as being active - could someone confirm this for me?

So is turning the camera on and off before and after every journey my only option if I'm to avoid the car's battery going flat? I realise there are devices that prevent the battery being drained but I don't really want to have to fork out more money at this stage.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Hi
Are you absolutely sure the socket is permanently live? I have a Mk3 ST and there's a timer that keeps the power supply on for about 15 minutes after the doors are locked.

Definitely worth locking the car and leaving the power supply in the socket then coming back to check 15 minutes later to see if the green light has gone out

I used to have Mk2 ST but I can't remember if it was the same setup

Some cars have few hours cig.lighter socket live after car is locked. Worth to try leaving recording while you park your car at home and come back after few hours to check. Within few hours of rec. nothing going to happen to car battery.

I've just gone out to check on the car, which has been locked for about four hours. I can see the light still glowing through the window, so yes, it's still live.

Does anyone know how much power the camera draws when the screen is in screensaver mode and the motion detection feature is activated and pausing/activating recordings? Maybe I can get away with leaving it in this mode, at least for a couple of days.

I've just gone out to check on the car, which has been locked for about four hours. I can see the light still glowing through the window, so yes, it's still live.

Does anyone know how much power the camera draws when the screen is in screensaver mode and the motion detection feature is activated and pausing/activating recordings? Maybe I can get away with leaving it in this mode, at least for a couple of days.

around 230mAh from memory, would have to double check

if you car is CANBUS (system settings available through the radio interface) check if you have accessory timer settings available as an option, might be mentioned in your user manual for the car

around 230mAh from memory, would have to double check

if you car is CANBUS (system settings available through the radio interface) check if you have accessory timer settings available as an option, might be mentioned in your user manual for the car

Mmm... I'm pretty sure I can't alter these settings but will have a look tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestion.

in some vehicles (no idea if it applies to yours) there is a choice of which fuse slot to use for cig lighter to have either switched or permanent power supply, always worth having a look at the owners manual for the car to see if any mention

Having done a bit more research on this tonight, and despite having said that I won't do it, I'm reconsidering having the camera hard-wired into the fuse box. Is there a kit available to get this done or will I have to get the bits myself from Maplin/B&Q?

I have a MK7 Fiesta ST (USDM though) front socket is always on, killed my battery once... rear socket is engine on only though

Anyone know how well those generic female cigarette sockets work? 1x red wire to ignition switched fuse, 1x black wire to ground -> female socket
I've seen them for motorcycles but don't see why it would be an issue on a car

Anyone know how well those generic female cigarette sockets work? 1x red wire to ignition switched fuse, 1x black wire to ground -> female socket

yep they work fine

I have a MK7 Fiesta ST (USDM though) front socket is always on, killed my battery once... rear socket is engine on only though

Unfortunately, both of my 12V sockets run through the same fuse, so are always on.

I've been looking at hardwire kits. This looks like it'll do the job: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00XHYSQAC
Can anyone confirm it'll work with the SG9665GC?

Just one thing to consider with those type of hardwire kits, how good is the insulation in the cable?

Wasn't the Street Guardian uprated for better electrical insulation/reduced interference or something?

I'm hardwiring a 12V socket in to an ignition switched live fuse (been recommended something like rear wiper), so I can use the included 12V adapter.

Unfortunately, both of my 12V sockets run through the same fuse, so are always on.

I've been looking at hardwire kits. This looks like it'll do the job: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00XHYSQAC
Can anyone confirm it'll work with the SG9665GC?

if you're buying a current gen SG9665GC you don't need that, the power supply is outboard from the cig plug, you can cut the plug off and use a fuse tap and ring terminal to hardwire

I assume that doesn't void the warranty then? It would simplify my setup...

I assume that doesn't void the warranty then? It would simplify my setup...

test the plug in the cig socket before you do it, if it's working it's going to stay working after you do it, won't be an issue

just make sure you have the cig plug with the outboard power supply before cutting the plug off though ;)

Back