best settings for motorcycle action

Laudat Nicolae

Reaction score
Country
Italy
the street the asfalt you can see it only 3 m ahead.that s the depth of field max.my question is .i go fast on my bike,what should i chose at metering average center spot car dvr i dont think so.i ve seen that when gyro is off the image has more detail.at ev i have +1/3.what s better 0? iso auto contrast normal.what is wdr ?about colours?sharpness normal.at every update i try to find the best setting.if anyone has a bike what r u using

I am trying to fully understand your concern here. I use my Git2 on my helmet and handlebar mount on my MT-07/FZ-07. I am no video expert but I’m a photography hobbist.

I’ve set everything to default. Gyro on, 1080 60fps and is happy as it acts as a dashcam.

Depth of field: Action cam set up as wide angle lens so everything is in focus. If you prefer to set the focus to a certain distance then you will have to adjust it manually.

Metering: This affects how the Git2 determines the exposure and what ISO, shutter speed, aperture uses. I would suggest using CAR DVR or Center for motorcycle.

CAR DVR – not sure what this is because it’s uncommon in photography

Spot – it ‘looks’ at the center of the frame (1% - 5%) to determines the exposure

Center – it ‘looks’ at the center of the frame (60%-80%) to determines the exposure. For instance, if the center of the frame is a dark object then it will raise the exposure.

Average – it divides the frame to different zones and calculate the exposure. No way to tell how it is divided unless #Gitup shares this information. No other companies (e.g. Sony, Canon, Nikon) share this information.

EV: Is for the exposure/brightness of the video. There is no 1 setting that does it all. For example, you set it as +1/3 and it looks great during the day but it will look dark in a tunnel or at night.

ISO: This is the level of sensitivity of your camera to available light. The lower the ISO the less sensitive. When you raise the ISO then the video/picture will have noise (grains). ISO, aperture and shutter speed works together. For instance, if you want a good video/picture at night then you will need to raise the ISO, small aperture number, slower shutter speed. Different sensor will provide different outcome. I'm sure my Canon 5D III will out perform Git2. Again, no one setting that does it all. ISO setting during the day will be different at night. I rather set it as auto rather than keep changing it.

Contrast: The color of the video/picture. You will need to test it because you can change the contrast so much that it looks fake. Everyone’s taste and purpose is different therefore; you will need to decide what is best for the purpose and your liking.

WDR: WDR stands for Wide dynamic range. Wide dynamic range is a feature that handles a wide range of lighting conditions in a scene. In a scene with extremely bright and dark areas. I always have this ON because it is likely that the road will have trees, tunnel, car, and building that affects the video during my ride.

Last edited:
Back