Best settings for the parking mode and events

maxim#

Reaction score
Country
United States
Couple weeks ago I hardwired with 3 wire setup my cam. Parking mode settings were set to 3fps time-lapse.
Recently somebody scratched my car (while I had lunch at the restaurant) on the driver side(looks like 7inch key scratch) and cam didn't capture this - therefore I'm considering purchasing another one and using the rear cams as side monitoring. I'm thinking about installing both of them on the drivers mirror and make them 'look' to the sides.
This incident made extra mad as recently I purchased and installed this cam and still I didn't capture it!

I was going through the cam footage and found that around the time when it happen cam switched from parking mode to standard recording mode, why did that happen? Possible detected the impact? How much of the video capture am I loosing during switch like that?
I think big downside of the time-lapse recording is that you don't have the sound recorded which in my case would be useful since the camera was recording front and rear and not the sides... I could possibly hear this asshole doing it and would be at least easier to correlate people with incident who where around that time near my car.

What are y'all suggestion for the best parking mode settings?
Could you also tell me how the G sensor behave and how to take the best advantage of it? When the impact detected is communicated somehow on the device itself?
Is there a fast way to find video footage that contains events like that? I'm using 256gb microSD card and it takes lots of time to go through the footage. What I think would be useful is if the event like that happened then the files should be named differently so you could ASAP start dealing with the vandal.

Are there any other features of this A129 duo that could be helpful with catching incidents like that? Not sure if my current config is best possible...

Thanks

If you want to record sound whilst parked, you can use low bitrate rather than timelapse parking mode.

The camera may have switched from timelapse to normal recording upon detecting physical movement, but simply scratching the side of the car would not have been enough to trigger the g-sensor. Try closing your door harder and harder until it triggers the switch to normal recording to get a feel for how hard an 'impact' needs to be for detection.

The time interval when switching modes seems to vary, but can be more than 5 seconds.

The A129 rear cameras can make for good side-facing cameras.

I used to use auto event detection but then i realized sometimes it would capture the movement while it happened not as it started.

For example, on my other post here asking if my cam was defective my neighbor got in his car and pulled out his driveway and since my cam in auto event detection it should get motion and gsensor impacts, but on the sd card it has one video clip with nothing in it and no movement (even though it should only record with movement) and the next clip is my neighbors cars already halfway out the drive way backing up towards my car. There wasn't any in between like them initially getting into their car or starting to reverse out. So it seems motion detection is very inconsistent if my cam is not defective that is.

I have since started using low bit rate recording

Thanks guys, I'll switch to low bitrate then. Also since cam is recording in small video increments, does it create a delay while doing that too?

Also since cam is recording in small video increments, does it create a delay while doing that too?

For time-lapse, yes, 5 seconds. Low-bitrate, no gaps.

I tested the low-bitrate parking mode and for some reason, it switched back to normal recording for about 15 minutes. I have no idea what triggered the change?

Back