Best way to install rear facing camera in a panel van?

Sparkydave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I'm from the UK and new to the forum.
about to fit an A118 to the front screen after getting rear ended last month!
My question is not about the front cam its regarding putting one in the back.
I've tried to search but can't find any relevant info
My vehicle is a ford transit Mk7 low roof panel van and want to install a rear facing camera, I guess the only off the shelf way would be to use an external camera like the ones I've seen on the back of trucks for reversing, however I wanted to know if anyone has any other suggestions?
I was considering removing my high level 3rd brake light and trying to DIY install something small like the mobius cam with a small clear plastic window in the brake light lense, so the camera was inside away from the elements, most of the time I clean my lights before getting in the van anyway so getting dirty would only be an issue when its raining
Has anyone any experience with rear cams in vans with no windows?
what do you think?
This is what the back looks like
0ce4d1ce.jpg

Dave the sparky

Hi everyone I'm from the UK and new to the forum.
gday.
about to fit an A118 to the front screen after getting rear ended last month!
all too common occurrence, fit something after the event for next time. I would much prefer the SG9665GC, far superior.
I was considering removing my high level 3rd brake light
isn't that illegal??
what do you think?
what he said above or you could make up some external camera lens waterproof mount, drill a hole in the door and glue it in position or something so the lens sticks out and the circuitry is inside the door.

That indented area around the license tag area looks like a possibility, also. (at the top near what looks like the tag lights)

I put mine here between number plate lights, Ive got another that Im going to try and put into the 3rd brake light

img2506zo.jpg

Thanks for the replies..
Sabe : I like the idea of the mobius extension looks like a possibility for mounting in the 3rd brake light.
Wozza : I think it might be illegal, I'm not sure, however I meant I would remove the light then re install it with the camera inside and part of the red lens drilled out and DIY fitted with a little clear circle.
Wow the SG9665GC looks like a fancy pants A118 but at 3 times the price Ill try the cheap wedge first :)
Riposki : looks good Ill consider it but I would like mine higher really.

Cheers
SD.

No ones looking at that god awful ford badge... lose it and mount it there.

ps. a gt680w can take an 8 inch extension lens and has the advantage of a screen and better picture than a Mobius and a nice start jingle you can hear from up front.. also has parking guard at 5 fps. (32g does 24 hours.)

Better picture?

I ve yet to see a Mobius picture better than the gt680w s when its lens is mounted externally... ( underated camera, but its small size reliability and crystal clear footage makes it a winner ! )

The altered brake light lens sounds excellent. Just get another lens from the dealer or a breakers (junkyard) and you can put the original back when you sell. These things are usually somewhat brittle so drill or cut carefully. I would not use silicone to glue the insert since it off-gasses after initial curing which might damage the lens coatings or cause fogging. A lower mounting would not show as much as the car directly behind might fill the entire view. The driver's face might also get blocked with a large car or truck. Something to think about is to see how rain and dirt settle on the different areas. On my old van several places in back collect dirt rapidly and would not be a good place for a cam.

Phil

Wow - how about a camera in the cab that looks out to the side mirror and shows you whats happening behind you ( films it ) ...
Could be mounted on passenger side / side window ?
Just a different idea ..

I've actually thought about mounting a pair inside my van behind my head which would capture my side mirrors as well as the front view but engineering the mounts will be a chore and I'll lose the view of traffic signals I'm stopped at which I do like having. Some folks here seem to think red lights are only a suggestion, not a law! May try this sometime if I get really bored.

Phil

Honestly...I'd really like to see the day when this stuff can get to a four channel sync system without an obscene price. I've been driving commercially for a decade and only became interested in dash cams recently (went to college for computers)...I'd love to have a front/rear/sides or through mirror/in cab setup personally for my line of work with decent storage. I'm almost tempted to hodge something with a raspberry pi and some webcams at this point after doing research for the past month or so. I'm very inclined toward the blackvue 7 with the rear (I drive a tow truck these days ...vertical rear glass, being able to see my blinds when empty and my load when I'm loaded would potentially be handy at times). But...when you consider how advanced our smartphones are...and look at this market...its almost disappointing the progression of the technology...I'd assume there'd be some serious hardware in this game but it just isn't the case.

The Innovv C3 might work here for you as well. You could keep the recording box in the cab and run the lens outside. I have installed mine on a bumper and roof. I don't see why it could not be installed in the back.

phone hardware is nothing like camera hardware
I understand that of course...I just mean...the software capabilities and the range of devices isn't quite what it could or should be i suppose...

I understand that of course...I just mean...the software capabilities and the range of devices isn't quite what it could or should be i suppose...

the product is a lot more complex than it might seem, you can take a decent dashcam and record full HD video 24/7, try that with a phone or a GoPro or similar and they very quickly fail, it's all about having the right tool for the job

Thanks for all the replies some great ideas! I'm seriously considering the ford badge mounting :)
I was thinking about a cam facing my mirror today while driving but most mirrors are slightly convex and things would be tiny in there, plus the mounting hassle.
If I get addicted to dashcams like Wozzzzza Ill consider getting a front facing wide angle in cab mounted high on the bulkhead behind my head :)

I think ill try mounting in the high level brake light as I've been wanting to do a proper conversion to LED for a while, all I need now is the spare time!
Ill have to remember to take pictures or make a video of the process and post here.
Cheers
SD.

Back