Best Way to Setup Parking Mode

Andy Moore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cameras working great but just recording far too much in Parking Mode.

I've got Parking Mode G Sensor set at default and Motion Detection quite low (4 from memory ??).

I was thinking of setting my G Sensor quite high (almost max) and Mption Sensor to say 1 (almost minimum). Does this sound ok ?

What do most people do ? Dont want to miss and bangs against the car but also want to catch someone reversing into me

Have mine at minimum motion and 25% G sensor If you get hit it will go off

Do you have any alarm LED's that are in the visual sight of the camera? Even the reflection in the glass? I had the experience where my alarm LED would set off the recording in Parking mode. The only solution for me was to cover over the alarm LED with a small dark coloured cloth to stop it triggering the recording in P mode.

Beyond that parking in a busy car park with cars and pedestrians passing by will set it off all the time. You could be a bit more selective in where you park to help reduce the amount of triggers (park at back of car park or at the top floor of a multi-story). I would always recommend you park the car with the front camera facing the oncoming cars so you can get a good shot of the number plates and peoples faces.

Be careful not to turn off the Motion Detection too much in favour of having G sensors. You would want to get a better chance of catching a number plate of anyone who bumps you.

The Technical Explanation for the Techies out there
The camera uses the MPEG standard to compress the video. This is a lossy compression technique that uses both spatial (intraframe) and temporal (interframe) techniques to reduce the amount of data to be compressed. Essentially it is throwing away any duplicate information between the frames both in the space and time domains. If the flashing is slow (every 10 seconds in my case) then this is considered to be a change in the temporal compression and the motion estimation in the cameras compression would associate the flash with a movement vector for the on - off state of the LED.

It is the MPEG compression and the associated bit-rate provided by the camera that contribute to lots of complaints about macro-blocking artifacts (Gibbs effect) in the video from Dash cams.

I seem to have the very latest firmware and software - after a bit further research I've set my motion detection to level 1 and Parking G Sensor up a little from standard (default).

Even at these settings, motion detection is still too sensitive and frequently records when its totally unnecessary. However, I wouldnt want to simply reply on the parking G sensor when parked.

What I cant understand is my software shows changing the motion detection sensitivity by changing a number eg. 0-10 ?? yet the manual seems to show you changing upper/lower levels (more complicated but finer tuning). Perhaps this system has been overtaken by the more simpler version of choosing a number for overall sensitivity ?

Agree w Andy, tried motion = 1, way too sensitive ie in a shopping center, camera records everything since either front/rear camera is always noticing some movement even 30-50 meters away

Now using motion = 0 and just set the 3 parked G settings to 85 so that I will capture any video tied to physical contact with the vehicle

Back