Beta-test. Innovv C3 Narrow vs Wide FOV Lens ( DAY )

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
This is BETA-TEST from Innovv C3 PROTOTYPE.

DISCLAIMER
Dashcameras participated in this side by side test were using firmware you see below.
NB! By the time you are reading this thread and watching video used here, developers of those dashcameras may have released a new improved firmwares.
Please refer to each developer sub-forum or website in order to see newer firmware release and their performance.

C3 Narrow vs Wide Lens.jpg

Firmware: C3_FW_V08_20140310

Top: C3 Narrow lens FOV ( battery )
Bottom: C3 Wide lens FOV ( capacitor )

Notes:

As you may see from videos, wide lens FOV unit video is upside down. On the first place, when mounting in the car, camera lens were pointing correctly as it needed, but this ( video reverse ) happened because I forgot to switch off an Image Rotation option from the GUI and main unit ( DVR) and accidentally turned it upside down, hence image rotation, which I had to flip back via Video Editing.
Lesson learned ! ;)

Watching ( listening ) Capacitor based unit video you may hear some high pitch noise. This noise is not appearing on the battery version.
As this is very first prototype ( beta-product ), - such minor issues are normal.
Developer working on this issue.

Raw / Original files Download links:

- C3 Narrow FOV Lens
- C3 Wide FOV Lens
- C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV Lens Side by Side
- Side by Side Screenshots Comparison

Comparison Screenshots

C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV lens. Day (1).jpg

C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV lens. Day (2).jpg

C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV lens. Day (3).jpg

C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV lens. Day (4).jpg

C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV lens. Day (5).jpg

C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV lens. Day (6).jpg

C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV lens. Day (7).jpg

C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV lens. Day (8).jpg

C3 Wide vs Narrow FOV lens. Day (9).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm impressed with the level of fine detail apparent in some of these screen shots. This is shaping up to be a very interesting camera.

I'm impressed with the level of fine detail apparent in some of these screen shots. This is shaping up to be a very interesting camera.

Yeah, results are at satisfaction level.
If you look my Night Side by Side test, there is not much difference, except FOV.
However daytime ( here ) can see that wide FOV lens have better performance.

Yeah, results are at satisfaction level.
If you look my Night Side by Side test, there is not much difference, except FOV.

It's especially impressive that this is a Beta release of the product, so we can expect to see improvements and refinements.
RockThinking seems to have put a lot of effort into this along with going the extra step of asking for input from our community before building the unit.

There's no denying that the wide angle lens is pulling in more light but the narrow angle lens appears (to me) to have a more natural colour balance. Possibly a firmware thing?

Frank

There's no denying that the wide angle lens is pulling in more light but the narrow angle lens appears (to me) to have a more natural colour balance. Possibly a firmware thing?

Frank

Yeah, thats right, narrow have more natural colours.
Firmware and settings are the same on both.
For use as a dashcam natural colours are not as important as reading detaiks ( especially in dark, shadow areas ), so for now myself I see advantage of wide lens, but as this is now only a prototype development, - can not judge. Rock will be doing tune up step by step and improvements should be followed by the time of retail release.

For use as a dashcam natural colours are not as important as reading detaiks ( especially in dark, shadow areas ), so for now myself I see advantage of wide lens, but as this is now only a prototype development, - can not judge. Rock will be doing tune up step by step and improvements should be followed by the time of retail release.
Agreed! but my interest in this cam is as a motorcycle camera - and I want the video from it to look pretty :D
Keep up the good work! Rock too!

Frank

Back