Better adhesive mounts?

peodi3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I just bought a dashcam I have owned for a few days , the adhesive that came with it was a 3m VHB. I used that and left my car out in the sun for several hours. When I returned I noticed the tape fell and the dashcam was hanging by the wires. I was disappointing and it deals very poorly in heat , is there a better alternative?

Go to Lowes or home depot and get the heavy duty 3m double sided tape. It works much better. I got tape that is able to support 10 lbs which is overkill

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Make sure your window is spotlessly clean before attaching the double sided tape. Also.. how curved is your windshield where the mounting plate goes.. Check it without any tape.. if there is a gap in the middle your tape will only engage on the outer edges and severely limit its holding ability. I.. mounted mine on a plastic plate (To move it back ~1/8 inch) to clear the mirror) but had to file (shape) the window side of that plate for a better fit.

Give the area a final wipe with alcohol and let it dry. There is some curing time for these adhesives. Once you stick the mount to the windshield, let it cure for for at least a few hours before hanging the camera on it. I have certainly cleaned the windshield, stuck the mount and camera, then drove off and been fine, but the proper way is to let it cure. If it's hot where you are, then I'd be safe and let it fully cure. Below is a link to 3M VHB's application instructions.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...08C090I4RULB0A0016000000_univid=1180621642980

I try to allow 3M VHB tape to bond overnight before applying any weight to it and I will make sure to apply some final pressure to a camera mount before installing the camera. Most 3M tape failures are the result of improper application, unclean or moist surfaces and especially not waiting long enough for the adhesive to bond properly. As the application instructions @CaptureYourAction linked to state, full bonding of 3M VHB is 90% after 24 hours and 100% after 72 hours but only (approx.) 50% after 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I wiped the area with Windex window cleaner, then I immediately applied it with the camera right away. I will try again later with rubbing alcohol and let it dry for a few minutes, then put the mount to leave overnight. If all else fails, then is there a stronger adhesive you recommend I try?

I wiped the area with Windex window cleaner, then I immediately applied it with the camera right away. I will try again later with rubbing alcohol and let it dry for a few minutes, then put the mount to leave overnight. If all else fails, then is there a stronger adhesive you recommend I try?

Alcohol is a much better way to go. Windex contains ammonia, blue dye and other substances which leave a residue that can prevent 3M VHB tape from bonding properly.

3M VHB tape is really the best product for this purpose, especially the black #5952 which is what comes with most cameras and is available in rolls at your local hardware store.

You don't mention which camera you have but in some cases, 3M VHB tape has been counterfeited and ships with some cameras coming out of China. Some failures of 3M VHB tape are a result of counterfeit tape.

Attaching a flat plate (your base) to a curved windshield means there will be contact only on the outer edges.. Note if there are air bubbles from the window side you have less than optimum contact.

So here's a little update , I attached my mount as i mentioned in post #6 , this time it was able to stick longer than last time. About a week. Until I came to the car and discovered it hanging again. However the VHB was still mounted on the windsheild , so it detached from the mount this time. And I did wipe it with alchol before I mounted it. What's interesting is that my rear-camera , is still sticking in the rear-windshield since the day I got it. So now I'm not sure what else to try, I'm kinda stuck here.

If you apply/stick it to the mount then the mount would also needs to be cleaned the same way you cleaned the window. The 3m tape is a lot better then any suction cup. All I suggest is get a stronger tape or park in a shadow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now I'm not sure what else to try, I'm kinda stuck here.

Have you read post #11? What does the contact look like from the outside.. If you see air bubbles.. you have not made 100% contact to the glass because you are placing a flat object to a curves surface.

Hi. I also have two cars with mini0906s and the mounting tape has failed on both of the front cameras. I came here to see if there is a better adhesive. The camera on my car was stuck on well since January, yesterday was the first time it fell. The adhesive is still stuck to the windshield, it unstuck from the camera side. I think because the weight of the camera is not distributed equally on the mount, it might be causing an issue. I was actually wondering if the tape might be counterfeit but sounds like that's probably not the case.

Hi. I also have two cars with mini0906s and the mounting tape has failed on both of the front cameras. I came here to see if there is a better adhesive. The camera on my car was stuck on well since January, yesterday was the first time it fell. The adhesive is still stuck to the windshield, it unstuck from the camera side. I think because the weight of the camera is not distributed equally on the mount, it might be causing an issue. I was actually wondering if the tape might be counterfeit but sounds like that's probably not the case.

The best thing to do at this point would be to go to your local hardware or big box store and buy a roll of 3M VHB "Extremely Strong" mounting tape to replace the existing tape. This happens to be the same type #5962 3M VHB tape used by dash cam manufacturers. Make sure to clean all surfaces carefully with alcohol before applying, apply when the temperature is 50º F or higher and wait as long as possible (overnight to 72 hours) before applying any weight to the mount. It takes 72 hours for 100% bond to be achieved. You can easily cut and fit the roll tape to fit and fully cover the plastic mount surface if needed.

It's a good idea to read 3M's application instructions - https://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal...d=1180621642980#Z7_RJH9U52308C090I4RULB0A0016

VHB tape surface prep technical bulletin - http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...paration-technical-bulletin.pdf?&fn=87015.pdf

Home Depot 3M VHB tape roll. - https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scot...ided-Extreme-Mounting-Tape-414DC-SF/203405976

Back