Beware the Zero Edge Z3

polarice

Reaction score
Country
United States
I previously purchased a G1W-C based on the Wirecutter reviews. It was a great camera so I did not hesitate to buy their latest recommendation the Zero Edge Z3. At nearly double the price I was expecting a great camera. The camera I received had WORSE video quality than my G1W-C. While not terrible, there is no way to justify the higher price tag for worse quality. The second problem was the audio....completely garbage.

Wirecutter claims this was made by a reputable company based in Marietta, Georgia. Some googling came across this business:

http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Zeroedge-404-860-3426

Zero Edge Technology, LLC
1172 Congress Ct NE
Marietta, GA 30068
Xiaodong Zhong
404-860-3426

It seems legitimate until you do a Google Streetview and it is some dude's house! Not sure how they are designing and manufacturing this in a house. Just a warning everyone.

well he appears to have a nice house

it's a generic Chinese model, nothing to do with the USA although I guess he has his brand name registered there and assume he is a registered American business, I guess those websites just take stuff at face value and don't do any checking of their own

Seems Zeroedge is profitable, that house is pretty darn nice.

Seems Zeroedge is profitable, that house is pretty darn nice.

$460k house bought in June 2014, but the company wasn't registered until 2015.

Also:

Zero Edge Technology is estimated to generate $600,000 in annual revenues, and employs approximately 1 people at this single location.

Too many red flags for me. I just don't understand The Wirecutter's reasoning for this pick.

All the cameras wirecutter reviewed except the g1wc were of companies that are known for giving out cams for reviewing.

from the buzzfile link above the company consists of 1 person, don't know if those things are accurate though
Probably just a resident agent - enough to give them a U.S. 'presence' . Could be no more than an attorney under retainer.

I previously purchased a G1W-C based on the Wirecutter reviews. It was a great camera so I did not hesitate to buy their latest recommendation the Zero Edge Z3. At nearly double the price I was expecting a great camera. The camera I received had WORSE video quality than my G1W-C. While not terrible, there is no way to justify the higher price tag for worse quality. The second problem was the audio....completely garbage.

Wirecutter claims this was made by a reputable company based in Marietta, Georgia. Some googling came across this business:

1172 Congress Ct NE
Marietta, GA 30068
Xiaodong Zhong
404-860-3426

It seems legitimate until you do a Google Streetview and it is some dude's house! Not sure how they are designing and manufacturing this in a house. Just a warning everyone.
Thank you. Did you go back to the G1W-C? What problems did you have with the G1W-C? I've had a few cams and they seem to stop operating or have a problem with the SD card even though I get the one recommended.

1172 Congress Ct NE
Marietta, GA 30068
Xiaodong Zhong
404-860-3426

Anyone try BBB to get information on this company?

I'm way late on this, but I was looking into the company because I saw their products sold well on amazon. Their website says they are "an America company" haha.

I'm having an issue w/ the camera and the company has asked me to update it's firmware using a Windows XP or 7 computer! In the email "Could you please enquiry your friends who own one if you don't have one?" The instructions are poorly written as well.

I have this model.

After 11 months it crapped out on me. They have sent me a replacement.

If you do not have Windows XP or Windows 7 available, you can use the special reboot feature in Windows 10 to get the firmware update to work. The main issue is that the driver for the circuit board is unsigned and that Windows 10 will not allow it. Doing the diagnostic reboot in Windows 10 will allow you to load it, but not automatically. You will have to go to device manager and choose the unrecognized device and then update driver, pointing to the DRIVERS subfolder under the Ambrella installation you have already done. Then it will prompt you for loading the unsigned driver. After this, it will let you load the firmware, as the device will then detect properly. You must do this part AFTER you press the - key and plug it in. Then proceed with the rest of the firmware update instructions.

The other issue with these units is the battery. If it does start to go bad, does anyone know if there is a replacement available for it? I would guess that it could be a standard type of rechargeable unit.

Mark

Has anyone got a copy of the firmware installer for this model? I contacted Z-Edge support but they are denying that a firmware installer package even exists :mad:

Has anyone got a copy of the firmware installer for this model? I contacted Z-Edge support but they are denying that a firmware installer package even exists :mad:
Might have to cut your losses and buy yourself a new dash cam mate, as support for this brand may be waning.

Back