BEWARE Users of Blackvue Cloud Video Sharing is Public by Default

Mharv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DR900S hardwired B-124 Merc A205
Hey guys just some info that by Default in your settings and use Cloud you dash cam is Live to the Public, including when you park at home, you can see all the vehicles in your area
on the bv cloud map on phone, not good sharing your privacy publicly especially when parked at home in garage with a live feed publicly... wow scary ... you need to reset settings
until a firmware fix....

Hey guys just some info that by Default in your settings and use Cloud you dash cam is Live to the Public, including when you park at home, you can see all the vehicles in your area
on the bv cloud map on phone, not good sharing your privacy publicly especially when parked at home in garage with a live feed publicly... wow scary ... you need to reset settings
until a firmware fix....

Exactly if you are not aware of the settings everything is Public, until you disable the setting, which is default, should be the other way round.. more so if you are running a B-124 pack, lol

As of October 13, 2018, BlackVue acknowledged this issue and wrote on their blog.

"Privacy by default for all Cloud users
As a precaution, and to ensure that no user is broadcasting their location or Live View video feed inadvertently, we set all users’ camera location, name, video and audio sharing settings to private. This change was made at the server level and concerns both BlackVue Over the Cloud and BlackVue Fleet Tracking accounts."

This issue is no longer of concern.

From that it would imply that it's still transmitting as before but they've stopped just anyone being able to view the details, better than nothing I guess

I believe you can still see the location of other Blackvue users with the Allow GPS Access enabled. This is on by default. My location does not disappear on the map until I disable this setting. If I log out of the Blackvue app and view the map with this setting enabled I can’t see my location.
I am disabling the Allow GPS access setting until I am convinced differently.
My camera appears to me on the map so I assume other logged on Blackvue users can see it as well.
9-CEA149-F-335-F-496-E-B4-CC-9-D0-EF728-FE78.png

The icons with just a P are Private.
C2628-E93-1-DFB-48-F8-A877-3-ABCAB1-D819-A.png

Last edited:
I believe you can still see the location of other Blackvue users with the Allow GPS Access enabled. This is on by default. My location does not disappear on the map until I disable this setting. If I log out of the Blackvue app and view the map with this setting enabled I can’t see my location.
I am disabling the Allow GPS access setting until I am convinced differently.
My camera appears to me on the map so I assume other logged on Blackvue users can see it as well.
9-CEA149-F-335-F-496-E-B4-CC-9-D0-EF728-FE78.png

The icons with just a P are Private.
C2628-E93-1-DFB-48-F8-A877-3-ABCAB1-D819-A.png

P = parked, not private.

The little cam icon with the red dot means the user's cam is remote viewable.

No cam with dot icon will display a "cam is private" message if you tap on it.

Thanks. My concern is that other Blackvue users can still see my location even if they can’t view the camera.

When you setup your blackvue, it asks as one of the very first questions about GPS data, that is for speed and cloud viewing, especially useful for folks like myself doing rideshare or fleet owners. You can toggle it on/off anytime

I only want to view my GPS data and location from the cloud. I do not want other Blackvue users to see my location. That setting is listed under private.

I only want to view my GPS data and location from the cloud. I do not want other Blackvue users to see my location. That setting is listed under private.
Then just make sure the 'share location is toggled off in the camera settings be that via the cloud viewer of the mobile app.

I'm not convinced that others cant see my location with those settings. I have no way of testing it.

I'll allow myself to be a test bunny then...

Settings set to NOT share you can see I'm not visible as anyone.other than logged in account. Feel.free to get that for yourself and see I'm not visible even of.youre logged.in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-223813.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-223813.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20211005-223642.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-223642.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 6
Back