[Big News]Original Xiaomi Yi 1080P Car WiFi DVR is coming!!!!

I found out that this "Cheat" wasn't bad at all.
Waiting for your comparison though..

On the right are the XiaoYi and Gitup. Look at dark zones and you will see black, not black with blue tint in all images from all 4 cameras. I donyt see that brightness differences from screenhots uploaded by -Pyzdys- which were done to prove that XiaoYi is better than A3 in low light conditions. Of course XiaoYi can be better than A3 and any other dashcam but without any cheat is needed for this.

Original files will be available in YouYube description.
The following screenshots were taken from original videos without any reencode of any of them and the snapshots were saved is PNG format to preserve original quality.
My comparison is 100% fair without any trick or any cheat from any camera. As I wrote in YouTube description, the XiaoYi recording was done at 60FPS (I forgot to set 30fps) so maybe there is an advantage for XiaoYi regardin details.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
The Yi definitely has less motion blur but that's to be expected with twice the shutter speed. It looks great considering it's getting half the amount of light as the others. The Git1 looks to have the best resolution.

...the XiaoYi recording was done at 60FPS (I forgot to set 30fps)
not fair...
but even that 60FPS show something....

As I wrote in YouTube description, the XiaoYi recording was done at 60FPS (I forgot to set 30fps) so maybe there is an advantage for XiaoYi regardin details.

cameras that run at 60fps generally either drop to 30fps or start frame doubling in low light, did you check if either of these situations occurred ?

The framerate remains at 60FPS but when is not enough light the frames are doubled.

Yi-fps.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, you are right but in the same day I made also daylight tests and the settings were the same. I prepared first the night comparisons because these are the most wanted. Some internet bandwidth problems are delaying the second comparison and two original files from first test to be uploaded on mega.

enjoy,
Mtz

We will see in next comparison during day after uploading the video on YouTube.

But I think XiaoMi Yi have focus problems because of heat. Just think I was at south-east Europe at about 45th parallel and I already have focus problems on XiaoYi dashcam on spring time March 30 when recordings were done. Look at the other 3 dashcams snapshots for focus problems if there are any. What will happen in the middle of the summer with the XiaoYi dashcam and its focus?

enjoy,
Mtz

@Mtz have you done comparison with Xiaomi and any IMX322 camera at night (in very dark scenes) ? Did you see how easy to catch fast moving object sharp by xiaomi dvr?
Remember to setup xiaomi to 1080p@30FPS - then you will be suprised ;) I'm very surprised about this dashcam.

so far looks like mine losing focus too (when hot) lens could be better - maybe next revisions/released versions will be improved (like Xiaomi Yi Action Cam)...

is there a way to have HDR for YI car dvr as ON?
I don't see any HDR related option

Is 60fps real sensor frame rate?

Is it true that YI sensor can't deliver 2304 × 1296p 30fps ?
What's the sensor inside this cam?

tnx

Sensor type is Aptina Ar0230 the same like on this movie:

but only with HDR aptina AR0230 has that great performance (like above)

http://xfest2014.com/sites/default/files/AR0230_flyer.pdf

fddfdf.jpg

so far there is no option for activate HDR (and check DLO mode) :/ but I believe that change soon (fw update?):

below is the AR0230 documentation:
http://trajano.webd.pl/pliki_aw/tematy_CAR_DVR/informacje_matryce/Aptina_AR0230.zip

ar1.jpg

http://www.xiaoyi.com/yicarcam/features.html

fsfstjava.jpg

Fingers cross guys!
Come on Xiaomi !

Last edited:
How good is it reading license plate in-motion? My G1W at 1080p30 does a poor job unless the car is directly in front.

Has anyone tried running this continuously parked in the sun?

I will be in China in two months, is it selling at or below MSRP of 290/354 RMB locally?

During day should be much better than G1W, but at night is hard to improve things with normal dashcams.

My Yi is losing focus after about one hour of car parked under the actual spring sun when outside are 20 degrees C.

enjoy,
Mtz

How good is it reading license plate in-motion? My G1W at 1080p30 does a poor job unless the car is directly in front.

Believe but Xiomi DVR compared with other cameras like (NTK+AR0330, NTK+IMX322) is the best dashcam so far for catch number plates/object sharp in-motion (of course in daylight, but even on night time has more chance than rest dashcams on the market), I compared many dashcams and only with Xiaomi DVR I was able to read number plates sharp and clear.

list from the best (best on the top):

nr1. Xiomi Car DVR
nr2. DOD LS470W (due to very bright apeture possibly F.1.6)
nr3. any camera with AR0330 (like G1WH, GT300W) believe or not but AR0330 is better than IMX322 for cath object sharp in-motion (seriously)
nr4. SG9665GC, Anytek A3, LS460W,
nr5. Zoran 12P + IMX322, e.g Street Guardian SGZC12SG, SGZC12RC, Panorama S (this one is the poorest dashcam ever for catch object sharp in motion, that happen due to the fact that Zoran 12P use automatic EV algorithm and rise EV to the higher level than should be)

speed.png

Regarding @Mtz, and loosing focus in Xaiomi Car DVR- looks like is true, my one has the same issue :( hope xiaomi upgrade the lens for this dashcam,

below is the sample from Xiaomi DVR (camera gets hot from sunlight after few hours) is hart to say how warm was there....but:

HDz41sl.jpg

anyway, I'm still hold my fingers cross for Xiaomi and this dashcam, this is my favourite dashcam now and this one got huge potential (specially from hardware side).

short test for catch something sharp from rest dashcams:

Last edited:
Does Xiaomi Yi have its own license plate reading software or are you guys using a secondary software to read plates (tia)?

hi,

I can't read lic plates from my YI
Do you have better quality?
t1-1080-3020160412_144848.351.jpg
t1-129020160412_144201.933.jpg

What do you think guys, is it worth to get one already or wait for version with fixed lens? I wanted to swap my GT550WS :/

Depends on how hot it gets in your car. I keep my ac vents blowing at the windshield all the time. Climate wise I presume both our countries are the same.
So far I didn't had any problems with mine, but it's still spring and i just received it two days ago. In case I can't get passed this issue I'll simply sell it and get something else.
Still waiting for the official response from the manufacturer regarding this issue.

Back