Big rear-view mirror. Where to mount camera?

nunomad

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hello, all.
I own a Volvo XC60.
The rear-view mirror is attached to a big box full of high-technology (please see picture).
Will this prevent me from properly mounting a camera?
From the pictures I see, most people mount their cameras in the back of the mirror, which I think is not possible in my case.
Thanks in advance,
N.

Attachments

• Volvo-XC60 rear-view mirror.jpg
    Volvo-XC60 rear-view mirror.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 197
What brand / model dash cam you plan to buy / mount?

Looks like a potentially good site on which to mount a Mobius.

Wauuu one of those cars with a whole Island on the windscreen ;)
As i see it your only chance is to Mount a cam to either side of that assembly, but then Again that might be illigal in Protugal.
Here in Denmark it is not allowed to put anything on the windscreen that block the view, and even a wire can be enuff to get a ticket acording to the law.
But on the other hand the police dont seem to uphold that law as many drive around with GPS devises and cellphone holders attached on the window.
And not to forget all the ppl who have all kind of stuff hanging from ther rear view mirror :rolleyes:
It is good your windscreen dont have anything else going on, so you still can Mount a cam up at the very top of your window.

Well, Niko, mainly because of you, I was thinking on a Powerucc PanoramaII.

So, now you "blaming" me ? ;) :), - just joking. Thanks. Pano2 is good value for money dash cam from so called high-end range, but with your mirror mount I dont see the way it can be mounted discretely. Of course I would use DIY to built Pano2 ( or any other dash cam ) in into that mirror bracket ( moulding, fibreglassing etc., a lot of job ) so this might not be for you.
For your car best choice I can see is dash cam with remote cameras, something like 2ch Topsync

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/2-separate-mini-cameras-standalone-lcd-topsync-s-300hd.1632/

but that model is only 720p and no good for our modern "western" dashcam world needs.

Or 1ch like Lukas

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/lukas-lk-7300g-need-a-really-good-dash-cam.180/

but again its has too big size front camera and performance could be better.
Just wanted to give you samples on which way I would think.

At the moment I join @russ331 suggestion to buy Mobius B lens, its a good performance dashcam with latest v0.59 FW can almost compete with high priced dash cams at night. The only drawback with Mobius is too much electromagnetic field which interfer with gps and other similar devices, so I dont know what gizmoz are built into that mirror mount in your car.
Soon will be released Innovv C2 with higher quality lens ( maybe same as Mobius B lens ? ) and after FW tune up Innovv C2 could be also your choice because of no interference with other devices.

Or you can wait half year ?, - @jokiin should have 2ch remote cameras dash cam based on latest Ambarella A7 cpu.

So there are much thinking for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the Mobius because in that location, with the recessed lens, the heat sinks make it look kinda like a garage door opener. The trick is to conceal the wires. You could install it with industrial Velcro (vs the hairy type Velcro) to make it easy to install and uninstall. Just a thought

First step is to buy Mobius and test if it does not interfere with other gizmoz installed in the mirror mount. If works fine, then can think about install. If not ,then you can use mobius as a rear camera and try Innovv C2 as front ( soon available )

I think that morror assembly would contain rain sensor - light sensor - LDWS and maybe connections for heated windscreen, there got to be a lot there witch sutch a big assembly on the window.

Allso if one is to cram a dashcam in there too, it might be a problem keeping it running cool due to lack of airflow.

What do you think about this that I have found while googling the subject?

http://www.myv40.com/2013/07/dashcam.html
The dashcam should be mounted behind the rear view mirror. In the V40, the massive City Safety housing makes this somewhat challenging. I managed to find a suitable spot behind the rear view mirrior, slightly on the the driver's side, due to the radar. As a result, part of the cylindrical dashcam is exposed, left of the rear view mirror, when viewed from the driver's seat. The lower part of the dashcam is also visible, below the rear view mirror, but only marginally when seated low. Both not bothersome, nor obstructing my view, though.
The dashcam is huge and he doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

Thats the point ( question ): bothered or no bothered of how it looks when mounted. Also need to find out your country regulations on front view obstructing devices, in many countries it is a strict.
Besides V40 mirror bracket hoursing is more user-friendly I would call from point of view dashcamera mount, because it has extra space from one side ( right side if look from outside ) where you can mount dashcamera the way it will blend in with rearview mirror

XC60 mirror bracket housing covers entire mirror length

Volvo-XC60 rear-view mirror.jpg

2013_volvo_xc60_06-600x400.jpg

I would try Mobius as mentioned earlier and if you like it, - you leave it front, if not - then can use it as rear dashcam like HERE

I did quick photoshoping

Volvo-XC60 rear-view mirror Mobius.jpg

Because mirror mount housing is close to horozontal line ( flat to surface ), it is easy to attach mobius with dual lock 3M "velcro", or do some DIY using neodymium magnets.
Maybe you find some ideas from my projects HERE and HERE

But of course it's up to you to think:
- how discrete you want dashcamera look,
- what is crime rate in your area or place you live or where you plan to drive,
- do you afraid ( risk ) leaving bulky ( visible to outside ) dashcamera overnight ( - day ? ) inside car when parked not at home garage,
- do you want to remove your dashcam every time or only for overnight,
- does local legislation allow additional gadgets on windscreen

etc.

Once again you have convinced me, Niko (it seems I am easily convinced :)).
I was pretty sure I would buy the Panorama II because of the video quality, but now I will wait for this Innovv C2 considering the difficulties in mounting a vertical type of camera in my car.
Hope it gets released soon and that its quality is about the same as my previous beloved one.

Once again you have convinced me, Niko (it seems I am easily convinced :)).
I was pretty sure I would buy the Panorama II because of the video quality, but now I will wait for this Innovv C2 considering the difficulties in mounting a vertical type of camera in my car.
Hope it gets released soon and that its quality is about the same as my previous beloved one.

I didnt want to convince you, just to give you options relaying on your request so you can decide yourself ;)
Pano2, Mobius, Innovv - they are all good in their own segment with pros and cons where each buyer have to prioritise his requirements vs pros / cons of each product.

If you chose to go with mini size then fir your fulk piece of mind I recommend you to buy Innovv C2 and Mobius B lens. Soon new more advanced FW will be released for both of the so you can compare side by side both and decide which you like more, which you install front and other can go as rear camera.

Oh the pain of those stupid sensors. I have a xc60 with a indentation at the bottom and found the smallest 720p dash cam fits in there perfectly. The 1080p version could be an issue due different mount base. Anything else would go on the corner in the middle on the passenger side as that part is still blocked by the mirror from drivers POV.

Regards
Duke

I have another question for you all.
My car has a cigarette lighter socket and also an USB socket. This one is always occupied with an ipod or mobile.
That leaves the lighter socket to connect the camera cable to.
I searched for USB Car Lighter Chargers references in the forum and found several:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a-couple-of-questions-about-mobius.4091/#post-48168
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/hardwire-mini-0801.3154/#post-35585
Does anyone have any recommendation?
Thanks

I'm thinking mini 0801 or guardtrak gt2s in the middle under the box. Anything small without a separate mount. Any other cams fit that?

Hi, I've just fitted Mini 0806 cameras to the front and rear of my 2015 Volvo XC60. Running the wiring was difficult, but not impossible. The only fuse available which could be used was the centre console 12v outlet fuse under the glove box (all the others were either vital or continuously live) and there was no fuse in the luggage compartment which was ignition activated only. Hence I had to run the power wire all the way to the front (under the glove box) for the rear camera. The fuse boxes on the volvo will not allow a 'piggy-back' dual fuse holder, so you have to wrap the wire around the non-feed end of the existing fuse. Negative connections were easy and positioning the cameras was neat and unobtrusive. So far so good and they are working fine. Had a truck driver behind me for 25 minutes the other day alternatively reading papers and arguing on his mobile. I though he was going to rear-end me frequently, even after I washed his windows for him!

Hi, I've just fitted Mini 0806 cameras to the front and rear of my 2015 Volvo XC60. Running the wiring was difficult, but not impossible. The only fuse available which could be used was the centre console 12v outlet fuse under the glove box (all the others were either vital or continuously live) and there was no fuse in the luggage compartment which was ignition activated only. Hence I had to run the power wire all the way to the front (under the glove box) for the rear camera. The fuse boxes on the volvo will not allow a 'piggy-back' dual fuse holder, so you have to wrap the wire around the non-feed end of the existing fuse. Negative connections were easy and positioning the cameras was neat and unobtrusive. So far so good and they are working fine. Had a truck driver behind me for 25 minutes the other day alternatively reading papers and arguing on his mobile. I though he was going to rear-end me frequently, even after I washed his windows for him!
I've been thinking of replacing mine in my xc60 but not sure which to go for due to the city safety in front of the mirror. It starting to look more amd more like i will have to mount it on the side of it. The current one is not big and was able to mount it just under the notch where city safety is. If it is not to much trouble, do you have any pic of your install you don't mind sharing?

Regards
Duke

Duke, Its a wet and miserable day in Southern UK today, but this, at least illustrates how dash cams must be fitted within the wiper zone! I have attached some images which show the positions of the cameras. As you can see they are unobtrusive. As in your country our cars are right-hand-drive so the front camera is on the left side of the box of tricks behind the rear-view mirror. It is totally invisible from the driver's seat - so totally legal.
I hope these help and am sorry I could not include one from the outside of the rear camera. It is all-but invisible from the outside which is probably a good thing. One other thing is that I remove the cameras when the car is parked in hot weather which is why they are marked "Front" and "Rear". They slip in to a little bag and go in the glove box. I coated the plastic part of the connector with a very thin layer of silicon grease so they go off and on easily.

I hope this helps. Michael
Front3.jpgFront2.jpgFront1.jpgRear3.jpgRear2.jpgRear1.jpgFront3.jpgFront2.jpg Rear1.jpg Rear2.jpg Rear3.jpg Front1.jpg Front2.jpg Front3.jpg Front3.jpg Front2.jpg Front1.jpg Rear3.jpg Rear2.jpg Rear1.jpg

Last edited:
Back